British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Am outraged.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/am-outraged-582376/)

Sharjahsara Jan 7th 2009 6:32 am

Am outraged....

Ok, so, I apologise in advance for the rant, but I really need to vent….I took my 20 month old son Kiyan to a soft play area in Fardan center in Sharjah yesterday. All was going well, until a woman approached my son with her son of about the same age. Kiyan was standing in a little playhouse minding his own business. This woman asks her son if this was the boy, her son said yes, and the woman motioned to him and says something along the lines of yallah, beat him.

I immediately ran over and said, why is he hitting my son, to which she replied, your son hit my son first, and he has to learn to defend himself..!!! Not sure what her definition of defend is, but accompanying her son over to mine, while he is playing quietly by himself, then standing back and letting her son repeatedly hit mine is pretty twisted if you ask me. Poor Kiyan just stood and did nothing, probably as shocked at the situation as I was. Now, my son is no angel, but I did not see him hit this boy at any time, and even if he did, isnt that what young kids do?? I told the woman if he did hit him, you come and tell me, and Kiyan will apologise, but to respond by telling her son to hit mine? I am still fuming as I write this, and am disgusted at this woman’s so called parenting skills. Does anyone else think her behaviour was out of order, or is it just the over protective mother in me kicking in??

Bison Jan 7th 2009 6:44 am

Re: Am outraged....

I immediately ran over and said, why is he hitting my son, to which she replied, your son hit my son first, and he has to learn to defend himself..!!! Not sure what her definition of defend is, but accompanying her son over to mine, while he is playing quietly by himself, then standing back and letting her son repeatedly hit mine is pretty twisted if you ask me.
Where I grew up there are a lot of travellers (Gypsy's) and this is how they sort things out. Parents would arrange for the boys to have a 'Straightner' and that's that.

If your son hadn't just stood there and actually lamped the kid back and knocked him out clean in front of his mother, I reckon you would have been really proud of him.

Are you just angry that your son is a wimp and did nothing? Even when I was 4 years old, if someone hit me I would go mental and kick 7 bells of sh*t into them, her thinking isn't neccessarily wrong, at least her kid will learn not to take any sh*t from anyone.

On the other hand, you could argue that a dimplomatic solution should be sought before resorting to violence.

Anywho, was it a good fight?

Bison :rofl:

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7135675)
Where I grew up there are a lot of travellers (Gypsy's) and this is how they sort things out. Parents would arrange for the boys to have a 'Straightner' and that's that.

If your son hadn't just stood there and actually lamped the kid back and knocked him out clean in front of his mother, I reckon you would have been really proud of him.

Are you just angry that your son is a wimp and did nothing? Even when I was 4 years old, if someone hit me I would go mental and kick 7 bells of sh*t into them, her thinking isn't neccessarily wrong, at least her kid will learn not to take any sh*t from anyone.

On the other hand, you could argue that a dimplomatic solution should be sought before resorting to violence.

you jackass this is not funny - not at all! knowing this country if her son have had knocked the other lad on his arse the boy would have been arrested or made to write a bloody letter in arabic to apologise!

this mum has a bloody good right to be annoyed - if this is how the kids are dragged up here no wonder there is so much chaos!

OP in a normal civilised country you would think the parents could work it out - dont expect if from some of the people here.

Sharjahsara Jan 7th 2009 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7135675)

Ok, not fighting back does not make my son a wimp. The whole situation for a child who is no more than a baby was actually very threatening. The mother was standing over him while this was going on, which makes me think if Kiyan had hit him back, would that have been her cue to then get involved?

They are children, and very young children at that. She is raising a bully, a tell tale bully.

The appropriate behaviour would surely have been to get Kiyan to apologise. This is how I usually handle the situation, like I said hes no angel. He says sorry, and cuddles whoever he hit.

MataHari Jan 7th 2009 7:01 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 7135688)
you jackass this is not funny - not at all! knowing this country if her son have had knocked the other lad on his arse the boy would have been arrested or made to write a bloody letter in arabic to apologise!

this mum has a bloody good right to be annoyed - if this is how the kids are dragged up here no wonder there is so much chaos!

OP in a normal civilised country you would think the parents could work it out - dont expect if from some of the people here.

I don't necessarily agree with the parents needing to sort this out...I think kids in a playarea are quite capable of sorting their own stuff out...I hate it when parents get involved with every little shove, push, skipping the line at the slides etc...let the kids deal with it themselves, that way they learn how things work...if you let yourself get pushed away you will never get on that slide...it's like the real world...

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 7:08 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7135732)
I don't necessarily agree with the parents needing to sort this out...I think kids in a playarea are quite capable of sorting their own stuff out...I hate it when parents get involved with every little shove, push, skipping the line at the slides etc...let the kids deal with it themselves, that way they learn how things work...if you let yourself get pushed away you will never get on that slide...it's like the real world...

and im sure you will agree MH, that this is not the normal real world in this country...

Its certainly not right for a parent to stand over while their kid punches another kid

If kids fight then so be it, i used to get wrong for telling tails but im sure my mother wouldnt have stood by and allowed the above to happen.

Roadking Jan 7th 2009 7:09 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 7135732)

I was gonna post my view but MH pushed in front. :(

Roadking Jan 7th 2009 7:10 am

QUOTE=Roadking;7135748]I was gonna post my view but MH pushed in front. :([/QUOTE]
So did MrsH... :cry_smile:[

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 7:11 am

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7135750)
QUOTE=Roadking;7135748]I was gonna post my view but MH pushed in front. :(

So did MrsH... :cry_smile:[[/QUOTE]

ooooh sorry my excuse for the quick replying is im very ill feeling sorry for myself and glued to the beardman issue! sorry i will slow down! ;)

MataHari Jan 7th 2009 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 7135745)
and im sure you will agree MH, that this is not the normal real world in this country...

Its certainly not right for a parent to stand over while their kid punches another kid

If kids fight then so be it, i used to get wrong for telling tails but im sure my mother wouldnt have stood by and allowed the above to happen.

I am talking general playground behaviour amongst kids from whatever nationality...and for my kids Dubai is the 'normal real world'...
but yeah, I wouldn't stand over them...I'd just look up, disturbed cause I am yap yap yapping away with other mums, tell my kids to just go back and hit the other kid, and continue yap yap yapping...

DaWarrior Jan 7th 2009 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Sharjahsara (Post 7135647)
Ok, so, I apologise in advance for the rant, but I really need to vent….I took my 20 month old son Kiyan to a soft play area in Fardan center in Sharjah yesterday. All was going well, until a woman approached my son with her son of about the same age. Kiyan was standing in a little playhouse minding his own business. This woman asks her son if this was the boy, her son said yes, and the woman motioned to him and says something along the lines of yallah, beat him.

I immediately ran over and said, why is he hitting my son, to which she replied, your son hit my son first, and he has to learn to defend himself..!!! Not sure what her definition of defend is, but accompanying her son over to mine, while he is playing quietly by himself, then standing back and letting her son repeatedly hit mine is pretty twisted if you ask me. Poor Kiyan just stood and did nothing, probably as shocked at the situation as I was. Now, my son is no angel, but I did not see him hit this boy at any time, and even if he did, isnt that what young kids do?? I told the woman if he did hit him, you come and tell me, and Kiyan will apologise, but to respond by telling her son to hit mine? I am still fuming as I write this, and am disgusted at this woman’s so called parenting skills. Does anyone else think her behaviour was out of order, or is it just the over protective mother in me kicking in??

It was good you immediately ran over to your son's aid. If the thing escalated like if she stepped in and prevented you from stopping the fight then that is totally uncalled for. I'm sure you could sue her for that. But yes, her behavior was indeed out of order. She is tolerating or even provoking vengeful behavior amongst kids. I hope your son didn't have any serious injuries...

MrsHaps Jan 7th 2009 7:15 am

[QUOTE=MataHari;7135757]I am talking general playground behaviour amongst kids from whatever nationality...and for my kids Dubai is the 'normal real world'...
but yeah, I wouldn't stand over them...I'd just look up, disturbed cause I am yap yap yapping away with other mums, tell my kids to just go back and hit the other kid, and continue yap yap yapping...[/QUOTE]

yep normal - that is the exact response my mother gave on more than one occasion!

Bison Jan 7th 2009 7:18 am

I am talking general playground behaviour amongst kids from whatever nationality...and for my kids Dubai is the 'normal real world'...
but yeah, I wouldn't stand over them...I'd just look up, disturbed cause I am yap yap yapping away with other mums, tell my kids to just go back and hit the other kid, and continue yap yap yapping...
There we go, I don't have kids but l know lots of people that do and I was a kid once and where I come from you are taught to fight back or get your head kicked in.

Good on you for telling your kids to go hit them back, and to SharjahSara I would say that you should have stood back, filmed it on your mobile and blackmailed the mother with it.

I think that unless you tell your kid to fight back he may turn out to be a shirt lifter, I was also quite disturbed that you say he apologises and gives the kid a cuddle, what's all that about the cuddle, sounds a bit weird to me.

MataHari Jan 7th 2009 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7135774)
There we go, I don't have kids but l know lots of people that do and I was a kid once and where I come from you are taught to fight back or get your head kicked in.

Good on you for telling your kids to go hit them back, and to SharjahSara I would say that you should have stood back, filmed it on your mobile and blackmailed the mother with it.

I think that unless you tell your kid to fight back he may turn out to be a shirt lifter, I was also quite disturbed that you say he apologises and gives the kid a cuddle, what's all that about the cuddle, sounds a bit weird to me.

yeah, as long as it's a one off kind of thing, let the kids handle it themselves...the whole cuddle thing does my head in...a 'sorry' will do if needed...

hawkhead Jan 7th 2009 7:22 am

Oh come off it Bison, the kid's only 20 months old...