Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The 'Am I Up My Own Backside Expat Questionnaire'

The 'Am I Up My Own Backside Expat Questionnaire'

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 'Am I Up My Own Backside Expat Questionnaire'

Inspired from the expatwoman thread.

Ok, here goes:

When was the last time that...

You shook an indian labourers' hand (and meant it)?
You got on a bus?
You drove a car more than ten years old?
You donated to charity without telling anyone?
You carried your own shopping?
You looked down your nose at someone?
You stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down?
You did your own garden?
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe?
You did your own dishes?

I'm sure there is many more to add...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:18 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'Am I Up My Own Backside Expat Questionnaire'

Originally Posted by admon

Ok, here goes:

You got on a bus?
You stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down?
You did your own garden?
You did your own dishes?

You looking for additional questions or answers???
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:19 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here goes:

You shook an indian labourers' hand (and meant it)? TODAY, HE WASHED MY CAR FOR 5AEDYou got on a bus? GLASGOW AIRPORT TO QUEEN STYou drove a car more than ten years old? NEVERYou donated to charity without telling anyone? RECENTLY FOR A CYCLING TOPYou carried your own shopping? ALWAYS
You looked down your nose at someone? ALWAYS, USUALLY EXPAT SNOBBY WOMENYou stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down? NEVER HERE, NOT WORTH THE HASSLE
You did your own garden? LAST ****ING WEEKEND> NOT THROUGH CHOICE
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe?ERRRRR PASSYou did your own dishes?I HAVE A DISHWASHER BUT ALWAYS EMPTY IT MYSELF
honest...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 9:22 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here goes:

yesterday, he fixed my ac, I was very very grateful
You got on a bus?couple of years, nae buses that i can use
You drove a car more than ten years old?everyday
You donated to charity without telling anyone?not telling
You carried your own shopping?last night
You looked down your nose at someone?constantly
You stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down?forever rescuing idiots stuck in the sand outside my villa does that count
You did your own garden?last weekend
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe?ok thats been a while
You did your own dishes?last night

do i pass?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Alexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond reputeAlexa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here goes:

You shook an indian labourers' hand (and meant it)? Today.
You got on a bus? Has been a long while.
You drove a car more than ten years old? I don't drive.
You donated to charity without telling anyone? Not telling
You carried your own shopping? Yesterday.
You looked down your nose at someone? Today...in cyberspace.
You stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down? Never pick up hitch hikers, helped by letting somebody use my phone to call help.
You did your own garden? Friday.
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe? I don't drive.
You did your own dishes? This morning.

Am off to do more chores.....
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:22 am
???

moto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to beholdmoto111 is a splendid one to behold

You shook an indian labourers' hand (and meant it)?I have never met an indian labourer but other half does it all the timeYou got on a bus? last year in Cyprus on holiday
You drove a car more than ten years old? 6 years ago in the UK, my trusted old Maroon Vauxhall Chevette with 2 heat settings, bloody hot or f'ing freezing
You donated to charity without telling anyone? quite often
You carried your own shopping? 1 hour ago
You looked down your nose at someone? never, but do screw my nose if I get into a taxi and it smells sweaty - eughhhhYou stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down? never, as a Woman driver alone this is not something I would doYou did your own garden?
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe? I always drive with manners
You did your own dishes? daily, we do have a dishwasher but only ever use it if we have people over
I'm sure there is many more to add...[/QUOTE]
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:46 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, here goes:

You shook an indian labourers' hand (and meant it)? I don't do handshaking but polite smiles, and chat regularly to all the Indian chaps that work in my apartment building
You got on a bus? Hmm - in London 6 months ago
You drove a car more than ten years old? Less than 2 weeks ago
You donated to charity without telling anyone? Well answering would negate my answer, but I do to various charities on a regular basis
You carried your own shopping? Yesterday
You looked down your nose at someone? I can't help being fairly tall
You stopped to give someone a lift that you didn't know, or stop to help someone that had broken down? As I woman I could be asking for trouble, so I wouldn't unless it was another woman on her own.
You did your own garden? I don't have one, but plan to move & can't wait to do gardening again
Drove with manners that wouldn't get you a beating in Europe? Regularly
You did your own dishes? I have a dishwasher

Some of these are not really indicators of being up your own arse. I drive a 2 year old Toyota here, nothing special, but the old car belongs to my mum which she kindly lent me.

I may not shake hands with Indian labourers, but it isn't as if I have reason to chat to them on a regular basis. I don't however, treat them as invisible.

There is nothing wrong with employing people to do housework or gardening etc for you if you are busy and the people you employ are treated fairly and paid properly. I had a cleaner in the UK and I have one now - no difference at all.

-
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Ok, here goes:

You got on a bus?
You did your own garden?
You did your own dishes?

Sorry its far too dark up here to answer your questions properly let alone read them. Must tell the cleaner she missed a bit...