British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Am Feeling Ashamed (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/am-feeling-ashamed-568436/)

lionheart Oct 21st 2008 11:58 am

Am Feeling Ashamed

...to be a UAE resident right now. Not only do we have the beach sewage problem but now the Dubai Municipality are throwing entire families on to the streets because of the whim of some ill-advised bureaucrats. According to today's Gulf News, children are getting sick because of this stupid rule preventing the sharing of villas. First, the electricity and water supplies get disconnected and then it's out on to the streets as families earning less than AED5K per month simply cannot afford anything other than shared housing. It really makes me mad that this government can allow such hardships, when so much extravagance and conspicuous consumption exists here. The shame of it all. Its nice to know that, thanks to the power of the internet and global communication, the world is watching...:thumbdown: :curse: :mad:

Blue Cat Oct 21st 2008 1:31 pm

Re: Am Feeling Ashamed

LH it is getting worse and worse here. I get the feeling that our esteemed Ruler wants any low income families out of his country. We will end up with labour that all live in accomodation out of town. No family set ups at all :(

shiva Oct 21st 2008 6:09 pm

to say they've lost their way would be an understatement, pity as there was and is so much potential...hey ho way of the world and all that.....theres a reason everyone hates politicians

Confucius Oct 21st 2008 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6895578)
...to be a UAE resident right now. Not only do we have the beach sewage problem but now the Dubai Municipality are throwing entire families on to the streets because of the whim of some ill-advised bureaucrats. According to today's Gulf News, children are getting sick because of this stupid rule preventing the sharing of villas. First, the electricity and water supplies get disconnected and then it's out on to the streets as families earning less than AED5K per month simply cannot afford anything other than shared housing. It really makes me mad that this government can allow such hardships, when so much extravagance and conspicuous consumption exists here. The shame of it all. Its nice to know that, thanks to the power of the internet and global communication, the world is watching...:thumbdown: :curse: :mad:

When my parents and other people told me in the past that there is always possibility for people with large numbers to be driven out of this country I used to laugh at them...
Guess they have the last laugh now...

MrsHaps Oct 22nd 2008 4:35 am

It it is a heap of crap because they work just as hard as the rest of us, some even harder...

:thumbdown:

The ruler puts low income families out of this country and there wont be a country left because they couldnt afford to pay westerns to do their jobs... I certainly cant imagine most of the locals here cleaning their own arse... can you!!??!

:mad:

al dente Oct 22nd 2008 4:53 am

Originally Posted by MrsHaps (Post 6898279)

The ruler puts low income families out of this country and there wont be a country left because they couldnt afford to pay westerns to do their jobs... I certainly cant imagine most of the locals here cleaning their own arse... can you!!??!

:mad:

I fail to see the point of doing this, especially, in light of Dubai's current financial woes. How does it make sense to get rid of the cheapest labour they have, when all their costs are soaring. Nevermind that it also morally reprehensible to let landlords do it. I must admit that it's the disgusted angle that i take but understand that doesn't really effect the powers that be. Perhaps there is some crazy economic reason to validate their abhorrent behaviour?

MrsHaps Oct 22nd 2008 5:07 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 6898299)
Perhaps there is some crazy economic reason to validate their abhorrent behaviour?

Image maybe..... :sneaky:

arseholes!

Bonny Boy Oct 22nd 2008 5:44 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 6898299)
I fail to see the point of doing this, especially, in light of Dubai's current financial woes. How does it make sense to get rid of the cheapest labour they have, when all their costs are soaring. Nevermind that it also morally reprehensible to let landlords do it. I must admit that it's the disgusted angle that i take but understand that doesn't really effect the powers that be. Perhaps there is some crazy economic reason to validate their abhorrent behaviour?

They are not getting rid of the cheapest labour - just their spouses and children. They want the cheap labour to be single and in an out of sight work camp. Hence areas like Satwa and Bur Dubai are in the spotlight.

Lionheart - thought this thread was going to be about you being a City fan. :D

al dente Oct 22nd 2008 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6898354)
They are not getting rid of the cheapest labour - just their spouses and children. They want the cheap labour to be single and in an out of sight work camp. Hence areas like Satwa and Bur Dubai are in the spotlight.

That is a perturbing and shocking revelation. I never thought i was a naif, but now feel like a (bloody angry) Mary Poppins.

Originally Posted by Bonny Boy (Post 6898354)

Lionheart - thought this thread was going to be about you being a City fan. :D

still managed to laugh though..

Simao Oct 22nd 2008 10:05 am

This reminded me of one story I read few months ago. There was this landlord who built a new room on the roof of the building where all the machines for water&electicity work. So this family couldn't find any other alternative and they had to take that room. Few months later their youngest duaghter was becoming ill and having seizures. They took her to the doctor and he said they have to leave the apartment and diagnosed their daughter of having epileptic seizures. It was all from the noise of the machines that this kid got exposed to for a long time.
when I was looking for an apartment in AD I found one of those roof built apartments. It was nice and all but the noise was considerably noticeable and I hesitated (granted I didn't think of getting sick if I took it) before someone else took it. Now I thank God that I didn't take it.

IndieG Oct 24th 2008 9:20 am

Their bad karma is stacking up..................

Madam Medusa Oct 24th 2008 3:52 pm

oh cmon, lionheart, you can still return to the uk and feel proud of the current government...unique you will be for sure, but at least you'll stop bitching about this place, it's getting totally tiresome...

MM, xx

happygolucky123 Oct 24th 2008 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 6895578)

Lionheart is right to care about families on lower income losing their homes. This is a serious problem as the cost of living for some here is too high yet we need their services while they need income to support families. Perhaps a little compassion, caring and understanding from those of us who are better off in this world, would be more helpful.

Confucius Oct 24th 2008 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by happygolucky (Post 6906912)
Lionheart is right to care about families on lower income losing their homes. This is a serious problem as the cost of living for some here is too high yet we need their services while they need income to support families. Perhaps a little compassion, caring and understanding from those of us who are better off in this world, would be more helpful.

Whatever will happen will happen...Most of us have started to give up the Defender of the Weak and Poor spiel for a while now...
The world is a different place and it will get worse...The end is nigh...

happygolucky123 Oct 24th 2008 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6906989)
Whatever will happen will happen...Most of us have started to give up the Defender of the Weak and Poor spiel for a while now...
The world is a different place and it will get worse...The end is nigh...

Think positive not negative ! Life is great ! So is the world!