Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hours

Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hours

Old Feb 18th 2018, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hou

Its 8hrs FFS....we're not talking a 1hr hop here. What would have happened if someone else had taken ill with a heart attack due to the stress of having a screaming child bouncing all over the place? What if he had accidentally kicked someone in the face? Or fallen and hurt an OAP etc etc.

Children should be seen and not heard. It's the parents choice for having them. If and this is a big 'if' the child had some kind of acknowledged behavioral problem rather than being a little shite the mother should have prepared accordingly or not traveled until they did.

Why should other people have to spend 8hrs dealing with it?

I can live with a screaming baby as flying can be traumatic and is often a new experience and generally relatively short lived but this was a child, not a baby and not a toddler either. The mother was well aware of what was going to happen and didn't prepare accordingly and then failed to deal with the outcome.

Personally I would have been severely pissed off.

As for nuts, I wouldn't have any problem with airlines not carrying them in case of issues as their are alternatives and to be honest I would have stopped eating them if I was asked nicely by a near by passenger too.

All I want to do on a flight is sit next to the window, cover myself in a blanket and sleep for the duration. If I can't do that I'm not a happy bunny.

Now don't get me started on fatties who decide the middle seat is the place for them....
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Allegedly, a Lufthansa flight had child screaming and throwng a tantrum for 8 hou

Originally Posted by jam25mack

Now don't get me started on fatties who decide the middle seat is the place for them....
Sometimes us "fatties" don't have a choice of seating on a plane and unfortunately get stuck beside some judgemental asshole who just wants to sut by the window, cover up with a blanket and sleep.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Sometimes us "fatties" don't have a choice of seating on a plane and unfortunately get stuck beside some judgemental asshole who just wants to sut by the window, cover up with a blanket and sleep.
Which Airline has "Fatties only seats" ???
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:31 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Judgemental asshole.... wow!

You have the option to buy two seats, why should you have half of mine?

Also, in the last 10yrs I cannot think of once when I haven't been able to have a choice of seat.... maybe a little planning would help you in future.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 5:46 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dubaiexile
Which Airline has "Fatties only seats" ???
None I know of. What airline has "skinny only seats"?
Originally Posted by jam25mack
Judgemental asshole.... wow!

You have the option to buy two seats, why should you have half of mine?

Also, in the last 10yrs I cannot think of once when I haven't been able to have a choice of seat.... maybe a little planning would help you in future.
Planning ahead is wonderful when possible. However thereare times when booking urgent flights doesn't allow for a choice of seats. Or having an airline decide to change your chosen seat also does happen.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Flights can be a nightmare. Joe public and all that. Kids can be tricky but even i was shocked by the video. But mainly just really feel for the child and the mother as their life looks shit (that's before the public shaming, which is just spiteful). However, i would have had to dug very deep after 8 hours. But then, I would have offered to help.

Overweight or drunk or stinky adults are again a situation that is just crappy for everyone. It's a Joe Public nightmare. I do think, if i needed it and was aware, I would buy two seats if I needed them. But maybe i am deluding myself.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:11 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by al dente
Overweight or drunk or stinky adults are again a situation that is just crappy for everyone. It's a Joe Public nightmare. I do think, if i needed it and was aware, I would buy two seats if I needed them. But maybe i am deluding myself.
Whenever I see men in vests in the waiting area I pray they aren't sat next to me....as an example of the Joe Public nightmare lottery!

Scumbag kids don't always know better but adults should.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 6:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Dubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond reputeDubaiexile has a reputation beyond repute

None I know of. What airline has "skinny only seats"?

Planning ahead is wonderful when possible. However thereare times when booking urgent flights doesn't allow for a choice of seats. Or having an airline decide to change your chosen seat also does happen.
Still not a fatty seat though is it, even when you are given a choice!! Never had an airline say to me "sorry sir we have moved you from 26a or whatever as we put obese people in there, as there is more spill space for the extra lard they carry!!"

And answering a question with a question is a tad silly!!

And all this is just another example of how the current climate of the majority having to bow to the minority cocks everything up!!

I am all for showing kindness etc, but when it is expected or demanded...well that is a different story......
Old Feb 18th 2018, 9:56 am

nonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond reputenonthaburi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
No one commenting on this thread has any idea what the parent did or didn't do, we saw a few minutes of footage from an 8 hour flight. Taken by someone who thought it was fine to video a toddler without permission and publish/upload it. Which, not incidentally, is illegal where the flight originated, and where it ended.

But hey, don't let little things like lack of knowledge or laws designed to protect kids stop you from whinging that the child should have been 'physically restrained' or drugged, or that the parent should have done this, that or the other. Just continue to be Outraged and Offended by something you saw on the internet
But there were eyewitness accounts in the article of people who were on the plane describing that the kid was left to run riot.

So it is fair to make judgements based on that.

The kid needed to be restrained for his own safety, and out of politeness to the other PAYING passengers.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

I am not unsympathetic for those with children who have behavioural issues or who are on the spectrum. It has to be an incredibly difficult and challenging position to be.

My issue with the Lufthansa flight situation isn't so much the child but that the parent seemed to do nothing nor seem to care that the child was imposing on the surrounding passengers. There's nothing in the comments or video to counter the perception that the mother curled up in her seat and did absolutely nothing while the kid ran around screaming. Perhaps I'm wrong. But I do take exception to the claim put forward by another poster earlier in this thread that it's tough luck and we shouldn't expect anything because it's a "special" child. Human relationships in society is based on how we interact with one another and the little offerings and manners, if strictly symbolic, can go a long way to making a situation more bearable.

Compare the two scenarios:

1) Special needs child is running amok and screaming and during the entire time the parent is constantly trying to work with the child to calm him down and is also constantly apologising to the surrounding passengers.

2) Special needs child is running amok and screaming and the entire time the parent is in her seat, glued to her screen, earphones on and does absolutely nothing.

If I see #1 in action, I would have great sympathy for the parent, understand it's a special needs child and do my part in helping the parent cope with the awful flight by not making a fuss.

If I see #2 in action, I would feel imposed upon by the parent and child and think very badly of both.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
I am not unsympathetic for those with children who have behavioural issues or who are on the spectrum. It has to be an incredibly difficult and challenging position to be.

My issue with the Lufthansa flight situation isn't so much the child but that the parent seemed to do nothing nor seem to care that the child was imposing on the surrounding passengers. There's nothing in the comments or video to counter the perception that the mother curled up in her seat and did absolutely nothing while the kid ran around screaming. Perhaps I'm wrong. But I do take exception to the claim put forward by another poster earlier in this thread that it's tough luck and we shouldn't expect anything because it's a "special" child. Human relationships in society is based on how we interact with one another and the little offerings and manners, if strictly symbolic, can go a long way to making a situation more bearable.

Compare the two scenarios:

1) Special needs child is running amok and screaming and during the entire time the parent is constantly trying to work with the child to calm him down and is also constantly apologising to the surrounding passengers.

2) Special needs child is running amok and screaming and the entire time the parent is in her seat, glued to her screen, earphones on and does absolutely nothing.

If I see #1 in action, I would have great sympathy for the parent, understand it's a special needs child and do my part in helping the parent cope with the awful flight by not making a fuss.

If I see #2 in action, I would feel imposed upon by the parent and child and think very badly of both.
And in both situations the only thing you can control are your own feelings towards the situation.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
And in both situations the only thing you can control are your own feelings towards the situation.
It makes it easier if it's #1. A lot easier.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 10:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, as has been demonstrated, there are those who demand that your feelings in both scenarios should be as described in scenario #1 - otherwise you are considered "judgemental".
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:37 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I don't understand the problem with being annoyed by things or upset or frustrated.
Old Feb 18th 2018, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
I don't understand the problem with being annoyed by things or upset or frustrated.
Negative vibes, man. Negative vibes....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.