British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Alf Morris (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/alf-morris-768385/)

The Dean Aug 15th 2012 9:20 am

Alf Morris

Lord Morris, who died this week at the age of 84, did more than anyone else for the rights of disabled people in Britain. When even the Nazigraf writes a glowing tribute about a Leftie, you just know he must have been someone special. RIP.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...anchester.html

mentalist Aug 15th 2012 10:13 am

Re: Alf Morris

It seems that he lived a very full life.:thumbup:

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 15th 2012 10:59 am

What a disjointed mess of an obituary though. And Nazigraf? Et tu Deanus?

Norm_uk Aug 15th 2012 2:19 pm

Nazigraf? What a silly thing that distracts us from the point of the post.

N.

The Dean Aug 15th 2012 5:06 pm

Sorry - wasn't trying to undermine my own thread - I thought everyone called it that..... :o

[....... and shouldn't that be 'et tu, Deane'?]

Garbatellamike Aug 15th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10229025)
Sorry - wasn't trying to undermine my own thread - I thought everyone called it that..... :o

nope "the Torygraph" normally, a bit more accurate and a lot less offensive ;)

It is unusual in this day and age to see a politician that actually achieved some worthwhile things (even if no one had really heard of him) as oppossed to the vacuous boasting we normally get.

The Dean Aug 15th 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 10229031)
nope "the Torygraph" normally, a bit more accurate and a lot less offensive ;)

It is unusual in this day and age to see a politician that actually achieved some worthwhile things (even if no one had really heard of him) as oppossed to the vacuous boasting we normally get.

Calm down - I'm a 'Torygraph' (sic) reader myself (as MAT hints), although it's primarily for the superb sports writers.

Garbatellamike Aug 15th 2012 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10229054)
it's primarily for the superb sports writers.

aha had to be a reason :D

Miss Anne Thrope Aug 15th 2012 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10229025)

Yeah, well I went to the only Catholic school that never actually taught Latin so I'm way out of my depth there.

I wasn't necessarily objecting to your characterisation of the newspaper, just a bit surprised that you would have called it such; Torygraph would probably be a more common and less controversial description. As distasteful as thinking people might find the casual bigotry of the spluttering old colonels, they are a few steps short of the real thing...

The Dean Aug 15th 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Anne Thrope (Post 10229071)
Yeah, well I went to the only Catholic school that never actually taught Latin so I'm way out of my depth there.

I wasn't necessarily objecting to your characterisation of the newspaper, just a bit surprised that you would have called it such; Torygraph would probably be a more common and less controversial description. As distasteful as thinking people might find the casual bigotry of the spluttering old colonels, they are a few steps short of the real thing...

Point taken, and noted for future reference (of which there will be plenty). I've used that term many times before here actually - presumably you weren't in my fan club back then and didn't notice........

Boomhauer Aug 15th 2012 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10229078)
Point taken, and noted for future reference (of which there will be plenty). I've used that term many times before here actually - presumably you weren't in my fan club back then and didn't notice........

Earlier, after Norm and MissAnnThrope's replies I typed a reply saying how you had used that term in previous postings.
Then I proceeded to compare it to the term Faux News and thought use of the term was likely subconscious on your part and not an attempt to make an issue out of it.

I didn't hit submit cause I well thought I come off as presumptuous but...here I am:thumbsup: