British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Alexa, what's the bloody point? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/alexa-whats-bloody-point-891822/)

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 19th 2017 7:14 am

Alexa, what's the bloody point?

I got one of these things as a gift. After quite a bit of a faff I got it set up. Now what?

mikelincs Feb 19th 2017 7:18 am

Alexa, what's the bloody point?

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope (Post 12183663)
I got one of these things as a gift. After quite a bit of a faff I got it set up. Now what?

Talk to it, ask it questions, tell it to remind you of things to do or get.

Brains1983 Feb 19th 2017 7:20 am

Re: Alexa, what's the bloody point?

I've got mine linked to spotify and the hue lighting system and quite like it. Handy if you in the kitchen and need timers / oF to oC, etc, etc.

dominoman Feb 19th 2017 7:22 am

I love my Alexa.

Use it in the kitchen and use it for timers. Or in the bedroom for alarms.

Things I say most:

- How is the weather today
- Play BBC Radio 4
- Tell me something interesting
- Who is ...

Or even, just Tell me a Joke.

I reckon you'll love Alexa once you've got used to it

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 19th 2017 7:37 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12183665)
Talk to it, ask it questions, tell it to remind you of things to do or get.

But it is more trouble to get it to do anything useful than other more traditional options and it seems a bit unreliable.

One of the things I use it for is to listen to radio (yes, usually Radio 4) but it gave up the ghost mid-stream the other day. Meanwhile I had no problem getting the same stream on my PC at the time Alexa pronounced there was a problem with the signal. On the other hand she refuses to get Dubai Eye (no matter how I describe it) so it's not all bad. Although she appears to have a bit of an issue with my Irish accent (which is not that strong), she is able to get the local station from my home county in Ireland.

The device is quite a good speaker and should work well with my music collection on Amazon but actually that is a mixed bag also as she can find some stuff but not others. I really can't be arsed figuring out all the settings on each item in my digital music collection especially as it takes a lot longer to clearly enunciate "Alexa, play The Maid of the Sweet Brown Knowe by the Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem" than it does to locate and click it. For example.

And, yes, it is freaking me out a bit whether I should refer to "she" or "it"..

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 19th 2017 7:38 am

Also, I can't help every time saying: Alexa please....

Miss Ann Thrope Feb 19th 2017 7:42 am

Oh, and every so often she starts spouting unprompted. Possibly something on the TV sets her off but i can never figure out what.

I dread this scenario:
News anchor sets off Alexa devices around San Diego ordering unwanted dollhouses - CW6 San Diego

I have enough dollhouses!

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2017 9:15 am

Firstly, how many rude questions have you asked her?

Surely that's the first thing to clear up....all the fun stuff that you can do with something like this?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2017 9:17 am

Things to ask Alexa

This website makes me want one (not just for the fun stuff but everything).

Boomhauer Feb 19th 2017 2:57 pm

My sis got Google's version a few weeks ago. Was used for 1 week but now it sits quiet; novelty wore off.

tintriangle Feb 20th 2017 2:07 am

Another gadget we did not know we needed and find that after buying it we realise we were sucked into marketting hype.
Another exhibit for the Twatopolois?

Dubai unveils Twatopolis

Inselaffen Feb 21st 2017 4:41 am

Use mine quite a lot for controlling a the Hue lighting system and have it plugged into Sonos. will be better later in the year when it is fully integrated into Sonos.

Will also be linking it my my anymote remote control.

Bahtatboy Aug 29th 2017 9:38 am

Anyone got it linked up so you can turn lights on/off while you're away? Can't quite work out if Alexa can do that, of if you need a separate hub.

mission Aug 29th 2017 9:43 am

no idea what this is:confused: Is it similar to Siri?

Dubaiexile Aug 29th 2017 10:05 am

Why bother having one????

I suppose it is nice having a woman about that does`nt argue and bitch about stuff, want to go shopping etc, downside is no sex...but then if your married lol......

i`ll just get my coat!!!!