Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Alcohol and Middle East

Alcohol and Middle East

Old Dec 23rd 2019, 7:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Alcohol and Middle East

My first contacts (1970-1972) I spent as a drinker

1990--1991
and
1996-2010
I was sober and an occasional observer of performing drunks.
I know which was better for me.

How do others feel about the role of CO25O2H in the area ? I know there are differences between states that are legally dry (eg KSA) and those that are wet (UAE, Bahrain, etc)

In the "dry" ones my experience and observation was that it was easy to find a bootlegger or make your own.

Last edited by scot47; Dec 23rd 2019 at 7:49 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2019, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alcohol and Middle East

I got that formula wrong I think
Alcohol is CnH2n+1OH
Old Dec 24th 2019, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

More booze in many dry place ive visited to sink a battleship at least twice over..

When i first arrived in the sandpit within the first week i met the father in law of an old filly - took me for a game of golf and then home to his bar and saw more optics than i ever thought existed !

Nowadays earl grey with a slice of lemon (dang i think i need to move to Worthing (Gods Waiting Room) for the next journey !!)
Old Dec 25th 2019, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In Saudi I noticed a common mindset with British migrant workers. "We drink and they do not" as a way of delineating what they saw as boundaries between Saudis and Franks.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
a way of delineating what they saw as boundaries between Saudis and Franks.
What ?

Let the natives over-run ?

Give them a damm good thrashing, cold showers and buggery before breakfast - its what made us Great
Old Dec 26th 2019, 7:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And that is why you have Gibraltar, The Maldives and Diego Garcia. Where did the rest go ?
Old Dec 26th 2019, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

This thread is like a tribute to an ex-girlfriend that you still love.
Old Dec 26th 2019, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

hahahahahahahaha
many a true word spoken in jest

Where did I put the key to the cocktail cabinet ?
Old Jan 10th 2020, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

One of the many dangers of a dry state.
Through inadvertently creating the market for smuggled goods, the state promotes and facilitates the infrastructure and expertise necessary for wholesale illicit importation and distribution. Like any industry diversification is inevitable. The reason that beer is more expensive than cocaine in dry states is that the transportation cost is higher. Similarly by driving the party seen underground the authorities have created a perfect storm. For this reason the visitors we see at the hotel bar in Disneyland are middle aged business men. The youth of such states are off their face rocking the night away at home. This is not to say that alcohol abuse does not remain a problem, but it is beat in to third place behind amphetamines and heroin abuse although it does beat cannabis in to forth place.
Saudi Arabia is not considering the legalisation of alcohol for liberal reasons but more as a mechanism to establish some level of control over a medical problem, not to mention the obvious taxation benefits. In short the the problem in dry states is not so much whats in the cocktail cabinet, its more whats chopped up on top of it.
PS
An other good reason for trying to main stream the party seen is counter the growing divorce and STD challenges.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

HiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond reputeHiHo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
And that is why you have Gibraltar, The Maldives and Diego Garcia. Where did the rest go ?
The Maldives went native in 76.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Heroin is a much bigger problem in KSA than alcohol.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HiHo
One of the many dangers of a dry state.
Through inadvertently creating the market for smuggled goods, the state promotes and facilitates the infrastructure and expertise necessary for wholesale illicit importation and distribution. Like any industry diversification is inevitable. The reason that beer is more expensive than cocaine in dry states is that the transportation cost is higher. Similarly by driving the party seen underground the authorities have created a perfect storm. For this reason the visitors we see at the hotel bar in Disneyland are middle aged business men. The youth of such states are off their face rocking the night away at home. This is not to say that alcohol abuse does not remain a problem, but it is beat in to third place behind amphetamines and heroin abuse although it does beat cannabis in to forth place.
Saudi Arabia is not considering the legalisation of alcohol for liberal reasons but more as a mechanism to establish some level of control over a medical problem, not to mention the obvious taxation benefits. In short the the problem in dry states is not so much whats in the cocktail cabinet, its more whats chopped up on top of it.
PS
An other good reason for trying to main stream the party seen is counter the growing divorce and STD challenges
We keep finding cans of butane, condoms and pants full of shit where I walk my dog. I knew what half of all of this is all about and after some googling have discovered that solvent abuse can also give you the shits. How lovely.

If I ever catch them I’ll zap the ****ers with my dragonmart torch-taser (although I might get caught up in a fire ball).

Old Jan 11th 2020, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Millhouse
We keep finding cans of butane, condoms and pants full of shit where I walk my dog. I knew what half of all of this is all about and after some googling have discovered that solvent abuse can also give you the shits. How lovely.

If I ever catch them I’ll zap the ****ers with my dragonmart torch-taser (although I might get caught up in a fire ball).
I think those poor unfortunate soles are in need of rather more care and compassion than you and a rather dubious arsenal can provide. These are not over privileged Saudis snorting cocaine of the tits of a Russian working girl in suite at the Carlton. I suspect you have come across the aftermath a couple of desperate Indians so oppressed and subjugated by a corrupt society they no longer care if the drugs free them for a few hours or for ever. So sad. Thanks be that we won gods great lottery, others were not so lucky.
Old Jan 11th 2020, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by HiHo
I think those poor unfortunate soles are in need of rather more care and compassion than you and a rather dubious arsenal can provide. These are not over privileged Saudis snorting cocaine of the tits of a Russian working girl in suite at the Carlton. I suspect you have come across the aftermath a couple of desperate Indians so oppressed and subjugated by a corrupt society they no longer care if the drugs free them for a few hours or for ever. So sad. Thanks be that we won gods great lottery, others were not so lucky.
Oh for sure, and their crap Yaris confirms that. That, however, is not my problem but my dog eating their discarded undercrackers is.
Old Jan 12th 2020, 6:44 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse

Someone on our floor in our tower left their rubbish outside the garbage chute. Not an uncommon thing, sometimes it's locked and you have to walk to the other one (well, normal people like me do).

These ***** were particularly rancid, granted not as bad as adults with poopy-pants but there was a clear bag full of used nappies. Enjoyed stepping over that to get rid of my rubbish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.