British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Al Raha Gardens Ripoff (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/al-raha-gardens-ripoff-753355/)

aparsons Mar 31st 2012 9:42 am

Al Raha Gardens Ripoff

Well it seems that having moved into a 'used' 4 bed villa 2.5 years ago and accepting the condition and issues has now come back to bite with the inspection today indicating I supposedly now owe Aldar 3300 AED cash before they will signoff. That quote was for 2500 for paint and the rest for a couple of glass soap holders. The quote was made up on the spot by the sub-contractor and shoved in front of me for signing. I told him it was a ripoff and it only needed some touchups and he just smiled saying - 'no paint whole villa'. Given I'm out of the UAE in 2 days and its a lease between the company and Aldar anyway, I signed with the additonal notes of normal wear and tear, no painting up front etc which they were reading over my shoulder intently. They ket the keys and then rang me back an hour later and said there was no deposit to take it from so I needed to pay the total amount cash or paint it myself. I told them the painting in particular was a real ripoff as it only needed touch up here and there and that it was impossible for me to do/organise that quickly. They the said ok, 3000 and i said i would put in a formal complaint as it was just a money making exercise. They said I could renegotiate with the sub-contractor I had met and I laughed cynically. This isn't a game its a serious ripoff so give me some other contractor options. There aren't any he said so I told them that I wasn't prepared to pay. The Aldar rep threatended not to gove me my clearance and I said i dodn't really care anymore and put the phone down. Another hour later another intermediary rang me and said 2500 for the lot and after some argy bargy about being ripedd off I said 2000 and no more. He agreed immediately without any further consideration. I just wanted OUT of there and it just shows that its purely an additional money making exercise for Aldar and their supposed sub-contractors.

Lesson - Its a great compound for kids and the schools BUT when its time to leave be careful. If you are moving in, then insist on fresh paint and complain about every little fault there is - no matter how small be on their case and demand timely service. If you don't you will end up paying for it. :frown::frown:

Millhouse Mar 31st 2012 11:54 am

Re: Al Raha Gardens Ripoff

Hello ... you are new and leaving already. Just a question. Are you German?

An English couple have a child. After the birth, medical tests reveal that the child is normal, apart from the fact that it is German. This, however, should not be a problem. There is nothing to worry about. As the child grows older, it dresses in lederhosen and has a pudding bowl haircut, but all its basic functions develop normally. It can walk, eat, sleep, read and so on, but for some reason the German child never speaks. The concerned parents take it to the doctor, who reassures them that as the German child is perfectly developed in all other areas, there is nothing to worry about and that he is sure the speech faculty will eventually blossom.

Years pass.

The German child enters its teens, and still it is not speaking, though in all other respects it is fully functional. The German child's mother is especially distressed by this, but attempts to conceal her sadness. One day she makes the German child, who is now 17 years old and still silent, a bowl of tomato soup, and takes it through to him in the parlour where he is listening to a wind-up gramophone record player.

Soon, the German child appears in the kitchen and suddenly declares, "Mother. This soup is a little tepid." The German child's mother is astonished. "All these years," she exclaims, "we assumed you could not speak. And yet all along it appears you could. Why? Why did you never say anything before?" "Because, mother," answers the German child, "up until now, everything has been satisfactory.

mentalist Mar 31st 2012 12:06 pm

WTF is the German nonsense all about. Do you have racial issues, Millhouse?

Millhouse Mar 31st 2012 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9981878)

er,. No. We have never heard from this poster and he shows up to complain about something. He's leaving the UAE so it's probably his last post. reminds me of a very famous german joke (and one my german friends like) which I pasted from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006...any.features11

Now, would you like me to run to up to Al Wasal to get your head surgically removed from your arse or do you think you can manage it alone?

commander Mar 31st 2012 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 9981878)

Do you sit by your PC trawling for posts that you can incorrectly interpret as racism..

What is up with you..

I'm having a chinky tonight for tea, the racist **** I am.

guuuude Mar 31st 2012 2:53 pm

Im German and i think the joke is funny.

May Millhouse asked because its typical german to complain. Take it from the negative point we are the world number one in complaining. On the positive site we are not eassy to satisfy, thats may why germans have a very good reputation about perfection, quality organizing.

Every coin have two sides!!

commander Mar 31st 2012 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by guuuude (Post 9982045)
Im German and i think the joke is funny.

May Millhouse asked because its typical german to complain. Take it from the negative point we are the world number one in complaining. On the positive site we are not eassy to satisfy, thats may why germans have a very good reputation about perfection, quality organizing.

Every coin have two sides!!

Do german chicks still have hairy armpits?

I'm racing in Roth in July and can't wait, we will be touring the area for a week after..schnitzeltastic. My old man is a bit sceptical, like many of my dad's generation he still just can't take to Germans for pretty obvious reasons, but once he slips into his laiderhausen's (sp) I'm sure he will come around!!

Alexa Mar 31st 2012 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9982052)
Do german chicks still have hairy armpits?

I'm racing in Roth in July and can't wait, we will be touring the area for a week after..schnitzeltastic. My old man is a bit sceptical, like many of my dad's generation he still just can't take to Germans for pretty obvious reasons, but once he slips into his laiderhausen's (sp) I'm sure he will come around!!

Their armpits are as hairy as Brit's teeth are grotty. :)

commander Mar 31st 2012 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by Alexa (Post 9982062)
Their armpits are as hairy as Brit's teeth are grotty. :)

Yeuk, then very...

Alexa Mar 31st 2012 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9982090)
Yeuk, then very...

Avert your gaze!

seven seas Mar 31st 2012 3:49 pm

Where DID this Clarksonism come from, about hairy german women?

Can I have been that lucky that many times not to come up against it?

commander Mar 31st 2012 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by seven seas (Post 9982113)
Where DID this Clarksonism come from, about hairy german women?

Can I have been that lucky that many times not to come up against it?

I was going to ask, was it not more eastern european chicks that had the hairy pitts?

OleJanx Mar 31st 2012 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9982125)
I was going to ask, was it not more eastern european chicks that had the hairy pitts?

Always thought it was something more associated with the French.

commander Mar 31st 2012 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by OleJanx (Post 9982143)
Always thought it was something more associated with the French.

Really, then we were only a Dover-Calais ferry away from our ladies having the pittage..

OleJanx Mar 31st 2012 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 9982174)
Really, then we were only a Dover-Calais ferry away from our ladies having the pittage..

Bloody hell! How old are you then? Don't you remember such sayings as "Fog on Channel; Continent cut off."?