Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Al Maha Desert Resort - Dubai

Al Maha Desert Resort - Dubai

Old Aug 23rd 2010, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all
Default Al Maha Desert Resort - Dubai

Off to this at the end of the month for 2 nights break with the G/F.
(once i get off this rig hopefully!!)

Anyone been and whats your opinion?? We get a great discount because of my g/f employer (EK) although im not so sure i would pay the full fee (still an expensive couple of nights though)
in saying that, i;ve always been of the view that you get what you pay for so im hoping this will be excellent.

Also, how far out in a taxi from Barsha?
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:39 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Al Maha Desert Resort - Dubai

Great, had a couple of EK discounted nights a few years ago.

Loved it. Really quiet and we done a camel ride and falconry.

Had dinner one evening by our pool

Really good for skinnydipping also
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 1:52 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, very nice. Held a couple of events there and everyone was well pleased. Dinner was top notch at the tent, too.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget your marriage certificate..tis the holy month.

alternatively a virginity certificate will do.

Last edited by expat.brat; Aug 23rd 2010 at 4:56 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 3:50 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by expat.brat
dont forget your marriage certificate..tis the holiday month.

alternatively a virginity certificate will do.
You have a lot of unresolved issues.

...or you need to change the brand of glue you're sniffing.
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

expat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond reputeexpat.brat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
You have a lot of unresolved issues.

...or you need to change the brand of glue you're sniffing.
thanks doc
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:27 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Thought they were doing a buy two nights get one free deal until the end of Ramadan? We did this in early July and had a a great time. Skinny-dipping in your private plunge pool after dinner should be made compulsory - tip ... take beverages, ice bucket if required (just ask for it to be delivered), ash trays if applicable etc on to the deck by the pool and enjoy your post-prandial drinks in your own pool while enjoying the peace and quiet and, if, there's pretty much no moon, a wonderful display of stars.

Saw the Perseiads last year as we took advantage of a similar deal then.

Yup, it seems expensive but don't forget it's AI apart from alcohol (take your own for use in your room) and soft drinks. BTW the decanter of sherry in the room is complimentary lol!
Old Aug 23rd 2010, 9:31 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with above....we took our own champagne and vodka.
Old Aug 25th 2010, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

StublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to allStublueKPL is a name known to all

Originally Posted by commander
Great, had a couple of EK discounted nights a few years ago.

Loved it. Really quiet and we done a camel ride and falconry.

Had dinner one evening by our pool

Really good for skinnydipping also
Thanks for all the info guys.

Also, although i say its still expensive, we went to the Jebel Ali GOlf resort 2 months ago and when i paid for food/drinks etc it was the same or even more than Al maha!! And from the info i think its on a different scale.

As for the "Don Revie" we plan to take a fair bit with us!!!
We are glaswegians after all and there is a rumour that "weegies" like a drink!
Old Aug 25th 2010, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

zoukla will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Off to this at the end of the month for 2 nights break with the G/F.
(once i get off this rig hopefully!!)

Anyone been and whats your opinion?? We get a great discount because of my g/f employer (EK) although im not so sure i would pay the full fee (still an expensive couple of nights though)
in saying that, i;ve always been of the view that you get what you pay for so im hoping this will be excellent.

Also, how far out in a taxi from Barsha?
I agree this is quite expensive... but to think your own little villa,private pool, no humming a/cs in your room.Diamond quality furnishings. It is excellent. The views from the restaurant are spectacular of the desert and resident wildlife. The staff are well trained and the gift shop has not got run of the mill stuff...
Has your employer got a few more to pass round... sorry have no clue of distances but far in on the al ain road.

Have a great break!
Still rolling about the virginity certificate...just where do you get this as i here this surgery is now a popular one amongst the indigenous females...
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Came back a couple of days ago and have to say it was fantastic.

Really enjoyed our short break and would definitely go back again.

Incidentally, Emirates have given it up and from October its going to be run by Starwood (le meridien etc). Might be an idea for anyone who works for Emirates to book it now as you may not get the discounts later in the year.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StublueKPL
Thanks for all the info guys.

Also, although i say its still expensive, we went to the Jebel Ali GOlf resort 2 months ago and when i paid for food/drinks etc it was the same or even more than Al maha!! And from the info i think its on a different scale.

As for the "Don Revie" we plan to take a fair bit with us!!!
We are glaswegians after all and there is a rumour that "weegies" like a drink!
what were u eating at ja, we have been before with kids and it wasnt expensive at all comparatively.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 11:08 pm
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Be aware that Al Maha Desert Resort is now operated by Starwood Hotels (ie Le Meridien) as of 1st November.

Thanks to Alexander at fakeplasticsouks for confirming this - we had heard rumours but weren't aware of when the changeover was going to happen.

http://fakeplasticsouks.blogspot.com...creatures.html

Having first visited during their opening week in 1999 things have changed mightily since then but we still loved it. Bean counters have a great deal to answer for, though. We'd hoped to spend our last night in Dubai before moving to Oman at Al Maha as we'd spent our last transit night moving from UK to Dubai at Al Maha. Looks like we may be treating ourselves to something special at the Shangri-la in Muscat instead. Don't want to spoil all our wonderful memories of Al Maha with one last visit which may not live up to those fabulous previous visits.

Ah well, well life goes on and things change whether we like it or not ....
Old Nov 1st 2010, 3:45 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hnd
Be aware that Al Maha Desert Resort is now operated by Starwood Hotels (ie Le Meridien) as of 1st November.

Thanks to Alexander at fakeplasticsouks for confirming this - we had heard rumours but weren't aware of when the changeover was going to happen.

http://fakeplasticsouks.blogspot.com...creatures.html

Having first visited during their opening week in 1999 things have changed mightily since then but we still loved it. Bean counters have a great deal to answer for, though. We'd hoped to spend our last night in Dubai before moving to Oman at Al Maha as we'd spent our last transit night moving from UK to Dubai at Al Maha. Looks like we may be treating ourselves to something special at the Shangri-la in Muscat instead. Don't want to spoil all our wonderful memories of Al Maha with one last visit which may not live up to those fabulous previous visits.

Ah well, well life goes on and things change whether we like it or not ....
my favourite blog spot
Old Nov 1st 2010, 5:44 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Starwoods is a pretty decent hotel group, so why all the agony aunts on here?