British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Al Khobar KSA:Help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/al-khobar-ksa-help-815727/)

Yer Maw Nov 20th 2013 5:47 pm

Al Khobar KSA:Help

Hi, just started a new job near Al Khobar a week or so ago. Unfortunately I'm in a company compound rather than one of the ex pats compounds, so there is little or nothing to do outside work. Is there an ex pats community or any sort of social scene in the area? I'm going to be working out here for a while so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers m'dears.

scot47 Nov 21st 2013 10:41 am

Re: Al Khobar KSA:Help

You need to get into ARAMCO Compound, as a visitor, where there is a rich and varied social life.! Difficult but it can be done.

Yer Maw Nov 21st 2013 11:02 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 11001212)
You need to get into ARAMCO Compound, as a visitor, where there is a rich and varied social life.! Difficult but it can be done.

Thanks for the information mate, It's actually Aramco that our company has all the contracts with over here. I had a look at the Aramco Expats website briefly the other week, would it be worth sticking a post on there? I realise these communities don't want just any Tom, Dick or Harry having access, there are only 2 of us Brits on the site though. I don't think the Aramco site is too far away from ours actully.

scot47 Nov 21st 2013 2:21 pm

Aramco "Camp" is more than a site. Next to the US Consulate it is HUGE and has its own golf course and cemetery (the only place in KSA where non-muslims can be buried !)

Backinthesand Nov 24th 2013 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Yer Maw (Post 11000210)
Hi, just started a new job near Al Khobar a week or so ago. Unfortunately I'm in a company compound rather than one of the ex pats compounds, so there is little or nothing to do outside work. Is there an ex pats community or any sort of social scene in the area? I'm going to be working out here for a while so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received. Cheers m'dears.

There are social life options available in Al Khobar which are not limited to Aramco, of course they are "underground" and you have the catch 22 situation of needing to know someone to get an invite. If your work colleague is not new he should know someone who can get you in somewhere, otherwise, I can help you out with an introduction - PM me.

If you have a multiple then Bahrain is always a good option for weekends.

Suggest it would not be of any benefit to put an unsolicited post on the Aramco Expats website as it will likely be ignored.

Yer Maw Nov 24th 2013 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Backinthesand (Post 11004995)
There are social life options available in Al Khobar which are not limited to Aramco, of course they are "underground" and you have the catch 22 situation of needing to know someone to get an invite. If your work colleague is not new he should know someone who can get you in somewhere, otherwise, I can help you out with an introduction - PM me.

If you have a multiple then Bahrain is always a good option for weekends.

Suggest it would not be of any benefit to put an unsolicited post on the Aramco Expats website as it will likely be ignored.

PM sent mate