British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Al Furjan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/al-furjan-788700/)

paul.caz1108 Feb 26th 2013 8:01 am

Al Furjan

Hi Guys,

We are moving over to Dubai at the end of March and have been placed (with husbands job) in accommodation in Al Furjan.

I have done a little research on this area but can’t find too much info on it...I guess it’s because it is still under development and the first few people have only just moved in. I just wondered if there was any one on here that lives there and if you have any tips or advice about the area?

We are unable to get a car for the first few months and I’m taking it this area is quite far out...handy...especially seen as we need to furnish the property. Does anyone that local taxi numbers or is there an easier way to get in to town? Also internet? is it an area that is covered?

Thank you in advance for your help

Patsy Stoned Feb 26th 2013 8:13 am

Re: Al Furjan

Originally Posted by paul.caz1108 (Post 10570090)
Hi Guys,

We are moving over to Dubai at the end of March and have been placed (with husbands job) in accommodation in Al Furjan.

I have done a little research on this area but can’t find too much info on it...I guess it’s because it is still under development and the first few people have only just moved in. I just wondered if there was any one on here that lives there and if you have any tips or advice about the area?

We are unable to get a car for the first few months and I’m taking it this area is quite far out...handy...especially seen as we need to furnish the property. Does anyone that local taxi numbers or is there an easier way to get in to town? Also internet? is it an area that is covered?

Thank you in advance for your help

Why can't you get a car? There is nothing to stop you from hiring 1, as long as you have a UK license..get an international 1 as well before you come.
You are near Ibn Battuta ..I know nothing about this development but I hear Discovery Gardens is going rapidly downhill as far as amenities are concerned..I read that there are schools nearby within the community..but again I know nothing about them.

Maxima Feb 26th 2013 9:04 am

I am actually looking at properties at Al Furjan and here is what I gathered from my mini- research

It is opposite to Discovery Garden, but unlike it, is secured.

The properties look to be of better quality than DG, but cant tell whether it is because they are built better or because they are much newer.

The only entry /exit points are via the Discovery Gardens / Batuta mall side so it gets busy during peak hours.

There is another entrance from Emirates Road but it unpaved, not very comfortable in a sedan, and you can be fined.

The area is far out from older parts of Dubai, but within reasonable distance of New Dubai.

paul.caz1108 Feb 26th 2013 9:19 am

Thank you for your reply.

I have heard that it does get very busy from 7.00am onwards.

Good to hear it is secured, that is what we were looking for. I have done a little research in to the development and it seems that it is going to be lovely when it is finished...but there is no set date ;)

We don’t get to choose the property, however from looking at rental websites the villas and town houses all look very spacious.

I will look in to getting an international driving licence asap as that will come in handy and we won’t have to get taxis here there and everywhere.

Thank you for your help :D