Ajman

Old Oct 22nd 2016, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ajman

Went to Ajman today.

The first time ever. And the last Emirate for me to have seen.

Whoa. That place is possibly the most Middle Eastern city in the UAE. Felt like I was in parts of Cairo or Tunis or Baghdad. It's an outright dump.

Fascinating, really. If you think Sharjah is bad, Ajman is even worse. Yet it's really not that far from Dubai. Maybe it's Dubai that's the weird, unusual exception in the UAE

Makes one wonder because the standard of infrastructure and development in Dubai is so high, how can the northern Emirates be so crappy when they can see Dubai?
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 4:18 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ajman

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Went to Ajman today.

The first time ever. And the last Emirate for me to have seen.

Whoa. That place is possibly the most Middle Eastern city in the UAE. Felt like I was in parts of Cairo or Tunis or Baghdad. It's an outright dump.

Fascinating, really. If you think Sharjah is bad, Ajman is even worse. Yet it's really not that far from Dubai. Maybe it's Dubai that's the weird, unusual exception in the UAE

Makes one wonder because the standard of infrastructure and development in Dubai is so high, how can the northern Emirates be so crappy when they can see Dubai?
The Kempinski Hotel in Ajman is one of our favourites for a weekend away...but as for the rest of Ajman, you're spot on!
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 4:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

The offices of the government / ruler are lovely. The only royalty I've met out here....they're close to the Kempinski.

The rest of it, as said, not fantastic.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

We drove past the Kempinski. There's also a Sheraton and one or two other "nice" hotels along the Corniche. But the Corniche itself is a dump. What makes the Kempinski so nice? Why bother going there?

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
The Kempinski Hotel in Ajman is one of our favourites for a weekend away...but as for the rest of Ajman, you're spot on!
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 5:37 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

What makes the Kempinski so nice? Why bother going there?
It feels like a proper holiday hotel, nice rooms, great beach/pool, good restaurants and a sports bar with bowling alleys, darts and pool tables.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Speaking of Ajman,

What is the most down and out western expat circumstance you've come across in the UAE? For example, some red faced 60 year old bloke living in a crummy apartment in Ajman because he can't afford to go back to the UK after spending 30 years in the Gulf.

I'm sure there must be some stories out there.....
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Ajman,

What is the most down and out western expat circumstance you've come across in the UAE? For example, some red faced 60 year old bloke living in a crummy apartment in Ajman because he can't afford to go back to the UK after spending 30 years in the Gulf.

The majority of people in the mire here would be a lot younger . I know a few who struggle from month to month and are hocked up to the eyeballs with debt . Cant afford to leave but can't see the problem.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 8:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The majority of people in the mire here would be a lot younger . I know a few who struggle from month to month and are hocked up to the eyeballs with debt . Cant afford to leave but can't see the problem.
I know a couple in this situation. One can't fly because of a bank issue, one just had to check if they could because of a bank issue.

****. That.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Speaking of Ajman,

Go to the outside bar of the Ajman Beach Hotel and you'll see them there.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:49 am
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

How can you spend 30 years in the gulf and have no money to show for it lol

impossible.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

You'd be surprised.

Originally Posted by iggle
How can you spend 30 years in the gulf and have no money to show for it lol

impossible.
Not long after I came out here first time around there was a big thing in the press about a retired Brit couple who'd lived in Dubai for 30 years and he was in jail because the cheque he wrote to pay for their container back to the UK had bounced and it turned out they had absolutely no money and were living in a crap apartment in Sharjah.

There are definitely people who just stay out here for too long and never build up savings. Could be that some invested badly and lost everything on property speculation. Many stories I'm sure.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:28 pm
Banned

iggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond reputeiggle has a reputation beyond repute

LAdies and gentleman

How to make money in the UAE.

1) If you can't afford don't buy
2) Don't have kids (i joke)
3) Pay of your credit card in full at the end of the month
4) Send all money remaining back home.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

Divorces can cripple savings I expect.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 1:01 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Scamp
I have zero interest in marriage. I really don't

I want a prenup, i want everything in my name. I don't trust any bitach with my cash.
Old Oct 23rd 2016, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Tell me about it, I would also add don't have joint bank accounts or your wife as a supplementary credit card holder...

The voice of experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.