British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   After the ME, What Next ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/after-me-what-next-833485/)

scot47 May 9th 2014 5:24 pm

After the ME, What Next ?

I did not give much thought to forward planning when working in the ME and suspect that is true of many. What are YOUR plans after your time in the sand ?

Venezuelan007 May 9th 2014 5:36 pm

Re: After the ME, What Next ?

My prospect is to move to europe after, .Netherlands or Norway due to my O&G background.
But I was reading about new zealand, and looks promising. Anyhow... Too soon to tell, been here for 3 months only, a good couple of years to go

Millhouse May 9th 2014 6:50 pm

Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok or chuck it all in and live a simpler life split between blighty and Cyprus.

Bahtatboy May 10th 2014 7:42 am

Move to Morocco. Or is that deja vu?

mentalist May 10th 2014 7:43 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11254038)
Singapore, Hong Kong, Bangkok or chuck it all in and live a simpler life split between blighty and Cyprus.

Why Cyprus rather than (say) Tuscany or Provence?

scot47 May 10th 2014 9:07 am

Or Harrogate ?

Brains1983 May 10th 2014 9:15 am

Plan was 3 years here then off to Oz. Changed jobs in December after nearly 4 years and currently plan to put the kids through primary school here and then see.

Probably Oz still, but lets see.

Meow May 10th 2014 10:11 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 11254575)
Why Cyprus rather than (say) Tuscany or Provence?

I'd guess that taxes would have impact on that decision.

Dubaiexile May 10th 2014 12:38 pm

Malaysia, using the second home scheme.

Bahtatboy May 10th 2014 1:59 pm

If you count here as the ME, then semi-retirement. Based in UK, frequent trips to Japan, and loads of trips/holidays elsewhere partly funded by and partly to perform consultancy work.

More booze, golf, exercise and reading.

Irishbeekeeper May 10th 2014 2:19 pm

I want to go live at the a$$ end of Canada or Alaska in the middle of nowhere with nothing but trees and mountains around me!

flares May 10th 2014 4:37 pm

left ME six weeks ago after 8 1/2 years and now back in UK.

doing the same work in my home town for less money and a lesser designation but enjoying it.

ploughed some of my dirty money into a side business which is going well and will hopefully supplement the knock on take home.

and have season tickets for the Mighty Brighton and Hove Albion Football Club for me and the kids 14/15

nonthaburi May 11th 2014 6:13 am

Watching my fruit trees go at my house near the Cambodian border in NE Thailand.
Currently have mango, durian, lychee, banana, papaya, gauva, coconut, dragonfruit, palm, plus various veg.

Want to get snake fruit, mangosteen and grape. My two years in KSA has taught me that there are a lot of fermenting opportunities to be had with fruit.

britexpat76 May 11th 2014 9:22 am

8 years to go (got to see the cluster**** WC 2022) Followed by Tunisia provided they don't all start kicking off again. Few properties there providing an income and perhaps a small rentacar business catering for western holiday makers.

mentalist May 11th 2014 11:39 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 11254702)
I'd guess that taxes would have impact on that decision.

So you don't pay taxes in Cyprus?