Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's really frustrating, especially when out in the evenings for a jog / walk to be stuck at the lights for ages....but that's the rules and it's red for ages because cars come from multiple directions and people can't be trusted.

We may find it not very hard to cross a road safely or to stand and wait. But it's clearly hard for some people though, or nobody would get run over.
The crosswalks and lights are meant to help ensure the safety of both pedestrians and transit users during ordinary traffic circumstances.

The question is - should the same standards be expected to be followed when there's no traffic? I understand the point about hidden traffic and blind spots and why crossings should be complied during normal traffic hours. But at off peak hours with enough visibility to see approaching (if any) vehicles from the distance?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:17 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
The crosswalks and lights are meant to help ensure the safety of both pedestrians and transit users during ordinary traffic circumstances.

The question is - should the same standards be expected to be followed when there's no traffic? I understand the point about hidden traffic and blind spots and why crossings should be complied during normal traffic hours. But at off peak hours with enough visibility to see approaching (if any) vehicles from the distance?
agreed
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:39 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH

I agree 100% that it's silly to enforce the same standards at 0300 in a quiet village where there's nothing around and all that jazz.

The only argument the other way is would you run a red light because of the same scenario? I wouldn't but I'd probably cross a road.

Dunno, just think allowing common sense here (specifically) means people will be killed.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 8:24 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

The light controlled crossings near us cease to be so during the night & reactivate in the early morning.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 9:10 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The only argument the other way is would you run a red light because of the same scenario? I wouldn't but I'd probably cross a road.

Dunno, just think allowing common sense here (specifically) means people will be killed.
Well a car running a red light is made of metal and has more destructive power
A man running a red light will probably end up hurting himself than anything or anyone else
aye, common sense...the first rule for all traffic interactions
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Well a car running a red light is made of metal and has more destructive power
A man running a red light will probably end up hurting himself than anything or anyone else
aye, common sense...the first rule for all traffic interactions
Step out in front of me, I might swerve, hit a lamp post and die. You might be fine and walk away unharmed.

I'm being deliberately facetious (obviously) and I'm only really taking Dubai into consideration as well, because that's where this thread started. This place is never totally dead like a Swiss village in the middle of the night....therefore I'm happy to wait for a green man a lot of the time and others aren't, such is life.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Step out in front of me, I might swerve, hit a lamp post and die. You might be fine and walk away unharmed.
Yes, Forgot to point out that the motorcyclist in the accident I referred to was also injured, but he was lucky the car, he cannoned into had almost stopped by the time he (sans bike) had slid up the road into it.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 10:12 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Expatrick
Yes, Forgot to point out that the motorcyclist in the accident I referred to was also injured, but he was lucky the car, he cannoned into had almost stopped by the time he (sans bike) had slid up the road into it.
Like I say, I'm being facetious.

I go carefully around junctions where I drive regularly in business bay because I know people constantly ignore the lights and cross when they want (only a handful). It might be rare but stamping on the brakes and worrying about being hit from behind because some **** wants to catch the next metro or bus or can't possibly afford the seconds to wait is just idiotic.