Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

Originally Posted by Scamp
Common sense says you're probably alright, I agree with that being sensible. But when there is the chance that within 500 yards there's a car with an idiot behind it capable of doing something monumentally stupid that might affect you even if you're on the pavement, I'll stick to the crossings and waiting.
I didn't know jaywalking extended to only crossing when the pedestrian crossing is green
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
I didn't know jaywalking extended to only crossing when the pedestrian crossing is green
Surely?
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:22 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Jay Walking Definition
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Thought it was just crossing the road without a zebra crossing...

Doesn't exist in the UK
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing summarises the continental mittel Europa mind as much as this incident I witnessed in Vienna some years ago.

Pitch black early winter morning. Around 6 AM. Bitterly cold and all that. I come out of the U-bahn station right at an intersection. There are no cars around. There are practically no people around save for two men patiently waiting at the intersection crossing. The pedestrian light is red. There are NO cars around. There is NO ONE around. The street is narrow. It's freezing cold.

I watched as they waited and waited. Finally, the light turns green and not only then did they cross.

During this entire episode not once did I see a car or another person.

It was mental.
Old Jan 19th 2018, 9:58 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
Nothing summarises the continental mittel Europa mind as much as this incident I witnessed in Vienna some years ago.

Pitch black early winter morning. Around 6 AM. Bitterly cold and all that. I come out of the U-bahn station right at an intersection. There are no cars around. There are practically no people around save for two men patiently waiting at the intersection crossing. The pedestrian light is red. There are NO cars around. There is NO ONE around. The street is narrow. It's freezing cold.

I watched as they waited and waited. Finally, the light turns green and not only then did they cross.

It was mental.
Any time of the day or night. At any given intersection. There are gazillions of cars, trucks, bikes, tuktuks and donkey carts around. There are hundreds of people around, most walking in the road, and crossing it at both the designated crossing and everywhere else. The pedestrian light is red. There are hundreds of cars around. The street is wide, with traffic moving in all directions. It's pleasantly warm, so no need to rush.

I watched as everybody ignored the pedestrian signals, and others walked in the road even though the footpath had room for them; often 3 or 4 abreast. Whatever colour the pedestrian lights, they crossed.

During this entire episode not once did I see any common sense displayed.

It was mental.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 4:47 am
...---...

Fossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond reputeFossildog has a reputation beyond repute

It was mental.
Whilst that is an extreme example, slavish adherence to rules (and societal norms) are why Western Europe is such a pleasant, and generally safe, place to live. Once the rules start being bent, or ignored, then society is usually worse off for it.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fossildog
Whilst that is an extreme example, slavish adherence to rules (and societal norms) are why Western Europe is such a pleasant, and generally safe, place to live. Once the rules start being bent, or ignored, then society is usually worse off for it.
I'd argue it says more about the control the state has over its people that they fear bending the rules when it's not necessary.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:58 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

It was mental.
Ditto for Japan I am told
Old Jan 21st 2018, 9:53 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

It was mental.
I agree the Viennese ones can be maddening as many are very slow to change, however, a salutary tale which we witnessed a while ago in Budapest: light controlled crossing, 20 or so of us waiting to cross, young Brit can't wait, looks RIGHT, steps on to crossing straight into path of hard charging motorbike. He won't be doing that again, in fact he's not doing anything again, ever. What a waste.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

archie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to beholdarchie159 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Ditto for Japan I am told
And Australia... the only place I have ever been yelled at by a policeman for crossing a junction in which there wasn't a car in sight for a huge distance. He only let me off a fine because he eventually believed that I genuinely had no idea it was not allowed, being a clueless Brit.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by archie159
And Australia... the only place I have ever been yelled at by a policeman for crossing a junction in which there wasn't a car in sight for a huge distance. He only let me off a fine because he eventually believed that I genuinely had no idea it was not allowed, being a clueless Brit.
I saw someone nearly get run over in Sydney because they crossed when it wasn't green man time. They glance and looked but didn't think about the turning lane. Car stamped on the brakes and the woman scurried away looking sheepish and scared.

Blows my mind that sometimes, in busy cities or not when it's 3am and dead that people can't just.....****ing....Wait.

I put it down to self importance.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Jaywalking is akin to stop signs in the US.

Personally I consider I have the mental abilities to be able to cross a road without getting hit by a car. If I'm in a city and there's a crossing then fine, however, elsewhere I will cross wherever.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

Surely people can have the freedom to assess when it's safe to cross the road or not? It's no surprise hardly anyone walks in Dubai if a 5 minute walk takes 20 minutes when you take into account crossings etc...
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 7:05 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Surely people can have the freedom to assess when it's safe to cross the road or not? It's no surprise hardly anyone walks in Dubai if a 5 minute walk takes 20 minutes when you take into account crossings etc...
It's really frustrating, especially when out in the evenings for a jog / walk to be stuck at the lights for ages....but that's the rules and it's red for ages because cars come from multiple directions and people can't be trusted.

We may find it not very hard to cross a road safely or to stand and wait. But it's clearly hard for some people though, or nobody would get run over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.