British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/aed400-fine-jay-walking-dubai-908042/)

hnd Jan 16th 2018 10:37 am

AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

Saw this in Gulf News just now. Thought you should know, especially all of you who are keen on exercise as I guess you must walk everywhere at this time of year :lol:

The RTA rumour over jaywalking fines has been clarified | GulfNews.com

nonthaburi Jan 16th 2018 5:36 pm

Re: AED400 fine for jay walking in Dubai

I'm amazed more people don't die in Saudi from jaywalking. Every day taking the kids to school there are nutters walking across the highway when people are speeding along at 150kmph+. And they walk across like they don't have a care in the world.

scot47 Jan 16th 2018 5:37 pm

Their fate is already written ! Why should they exercise caution ?

DXBtoDOH Jan 17th 2018 4:33 am

Originally Posted by nonthaburi (Post 12420241)
I'm amazed more people don't die in Saudi from jaywalking. Every day taking the kids to school there are nutters walking across the highway when people are speeding along at 150kmph+. And they walk across like they don't have a care in the world.

If you come from India or the Philippines, that's what people do. All the time. It's always heart-stopping.

ExpatAl Jan 17th 2018 5:59 am

The ignorance is astounding in some parts of the world in regards to safety, pollution and common courtesy...

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2018 6:30 am

Cracks me up here. Why people can't wait a matter of seconds to cross a road is just totally beyond me. In the grand scheme of things it's nothing, if you spend the next 50yds pacing it, you'll have made up that crucial amount of time. If you don't and you're 45 seconds later than you wanted to be, stop and check if the earth is still rotating. If it is, you're in the clear. :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2018 6:32 am

Just read the article.

27 people DIED last year from jay walking.
239 others injured.

I've changed my mind completely. **** it. Let natural selection take place.

ExpatAl Jan 17th 2018 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12420581)

I've changed my mind completely. **** it. Let natural selection take place.

Feel the same way about those kids eating tide pods :blink:

carcajou Jan 17th 2018 6:39 am

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH (Post 12420547)
If you come from India or the Philippines, that's what people do. All the time. It's always heart-stopping.

Yes, and that's part of why there are so many pedestrian fences along the roads in Abu Dhabi, Dubai etc - to stop pedestrians from doing that, and to try and funnel them down to the crosswalks.

The other part: to stop locals in their SUVs and 4WDs from just u-turning in over medians or up over sidewalks and injuring people that way. It was a big problem in one town I worked in, and went away after those fences, big round boulders and raised medians were installed on many of the busier streets.

mission Jan 17th 2018 6:42 am

i am a nutter when it comes to crossing the road...i have no patience....and will cross expecting the car/s to slow down. Fortunately i hardly do any walking over here:blink:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2018 6:49 am

Originally Posted by ExpatAl (Post 12420583)
Feel the same way about those kids eating tide pods :blink:

Mind blowing isn't it.

Originally Posted by mission (Post 12420594)
i am a nutter when it comes to crossing the road...i have no patience....and will cross expecting the car/s to slow down. Fortunately i hardly do any walking over here:blink:

Bet you moan like nobodies business when you're in your car and someone walks out in front of you though eh?

hnd Jan 17th 2018 6:52 am

There’s not much that is more annoying than having to wait for the lights to change so that you can cross a completely empty street with not one single bl00dy car/vehicle in sight

Made in Sheffield 1 Jan 17th 2018 6:56 am

People still play Frogger across Yalayis Street in Jebel Ali. As if that road isn't dangerous enough.

Irishbeekeeper Jan 17th 2018 7:05 am

I am on the fence when it comes to jaywalking......

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 17th 2018 7:36 am

Originally Posted by hnd (Post 12420597)
There’s not much that is more annoying than having to wait for the lights to change so that you can cross a completely empty street with not one single bl00dy car/vehicle in sight

Common sense says you're probably alright, I agree with that being sensible. But when there is the chance that within 500 yards there's a car with an idiot behind it capable of doing something monumentally stupid that might affect you even if you're on the pavement, I'll stick to the crossings and waiting.