Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Advice for parents in the digital age

Advice for parents in the digital age

Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:40 am
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for parents in the digital age

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
oh god I'm old - I remember that stuff. And having to write my own computer games to play them. And saving the code on cassette tapes.
We used to get these computer magazines which had these small games in machine code printed in them

and you had to sit down and type all of it out...cant remember but it used to seem miles and miles long and ofcourse no mistakes accepted

and then one day we visited some uppity cousins of ours and I saw 'the atari' and was completely blown away
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:51 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Commodore 64? You posh bugger, the rest of us had Spectrum 16s...
Old Sep 8th 2013, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
Spectrum 16k? Cheapskate! You should have had a 48k!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:06 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Copying tapes at a computer club to get free games, I remember it well. Manic Miner or Boulderrush anyone?

Then there was Elite - a space trading game where you had to land on planets. I usually crashed.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:14 am

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kix
ha! you know secretly I always thought the Spectrums were more sexy looking

Originally Posted by Kix
Copying tapes at a computer club to get free games, I remember it well. Manic Miner or Boulderrush anyone?

Then there was Elite - a space trading game where you had to land on planets. I usually crashed.
boulderdash for sure
then there was this karate game with the dudes in red and white clothes
pitfall
and there was this game, the forbidden forest
man I played it ALL the time
when you hit the monster the guy did this cool dance with the cool music!

heres a link I found but the guy doing the narrating is too nasal and talks too much : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9QVl5Z9gL0

Last edited by Irishbeekeeper; Sep 8th 2013 at 9:22 am. Reason: know*
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Obsolete rubber-key Spectrums make suprisingly good drip mats....
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:23 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
ha! you know secretly I always thought the Spectrums were more sexy looking

boulderdash for sure
then there was this karate game with the dudes in red and white clothes
pitfall
and there was this game, the forbidden forest
man I played it ALL the time
when you hit the monster the guy did this cool dance with the cool music!

heres a link I found but the guy doing the narrating is too nasal and talks too much : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9QVl5Z9gL0
Three words....

Jet Set Willy!
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kix
Three words....

Jet Set Willy!
Ha! "We must perform a quirkafleeg".....
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:45 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Ha! "We must perform a quirkafleeg".....
I think you'll find it's "We must peform a quirkafleeg"

Fat Freddy's Cat and the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers.

Classics.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Kix
Three words....

Jet Set Willy!
oh yeah!!! the music man...the music
watch this and be thrown back to the good old days
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV6tWfDf8IE

and btw, I found the guy who made this game on twitter
based out of london, from his posts sounds like a decent bloke and still at it seems

https://twitter.com/shahidkamal/stat...20823586988033
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:08 am