British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   ADvice on getting villa deposit back (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/advice-getting-villa-deposit-back-602035/)

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 12:12 pm

ADvice on getting villa deposit back

Ok I may have mentioned but, we moved outof our villa a month ago, we had a AED 5k deposit to get back, the landlord is in some group of people who own properties,

so he says he'll get it back for us from the big guy,

anyway we had 3 bathrooms and we used one of them for a month, the steam coming from the shower affected the tiles, which weren't obviously put on properly and they started to come off the wall a bit, maybe a few centimetres, still on but coming out a bit,

anyway eventually spoke to our guy who tells me the main guy wants to take AED 1,500 off the deposit as the people he sold it to want that much to fix it (a likely story).

Thing is where do I stand? I've told my guy to tell him I want the lot back, but he doesn't see him much as they are selling all the properties and no doubt moving on sooner or later,

Is there any rent people or whatever I can go and see? It wasn;t out fault the ****ing tiles were put on by some useless twat.

Grrrrrrr.

Any advice?

Roadking Apr 6th 2009 12:23 pm

Re: ADvice on getting villa deposit back

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7455648)
Ok I may have mentioned but, we moved outof our villa a month ago, we had a AED 5k deposit to get back, the landlord is in some group of people who own properties,

so he says he'll get it back for us from the big guy,

anyway we had 3 bathrooms and we used one of them for a month, the steam coming from the shower affected the tiles, which weren't obviously put on properly and they started to come off the wall a bit, maybe a few centimetres, still on but coming out a bit,

anyway eventually spoke to our guy who tells me the main guy wants to take AED 1,500 off the deposit as the people he sold it to want that much to fix it (a likely story).

Thing is where do I stand? I've told my guy to tell him I want the lot back, but he doesn't see him much as they are selling all the properties and no doubt moving on sooner or later,

Is there any rent people or whatever I can go and see? It wasn;t out fault the ****ing tiles were put on by some useless twat.

Grrrrrrr.

Any advice?

Doesn't help you this time but when we moved in February, we refused to give them the keys without them handing over the deposit cheque. They didn't like it, but eventually paid up.

Good luck mate, not sure if there is anything you can do except demand.

lionheart Apr 6th 2009 12:26 pm

Not really helpful but, when the ceramic tiles starting coming off the bathroom wall after the January 2008 storms, the Landlord sent some guys round to fix it for no charge.

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Roadking (Post 7455675)
Doesn't help you this time but when we moved in February, we refused to give them the keys without them handing over the deposit cheque. They didn't like it, but eventually paid up.

Good luck mate, not sure if there is anything you can do except demand.

aye well we've given them over already, not sure if there's much we can do but take the hit,

the wanker.

busybee2 Apr 6th 2009 12:30 pm

yep dont give keys back as they always do this, as you have done this i think you must go with the costs etc.

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7455680)
Not really helpful but, when the ceramic tiles starting coming off the bathroom wall after the January 2008 storms, the Landlord sent some guys round to fix it for no charge.

yeah Burooj who I used loads of times could have fixed it for pennies, maybe should have got it done,

just spoke to my guy who agrees with me but says thats what this bloke is saying, so hes going to meet him and call me and I'll speak to him,

if not Meow said she might help through her newspaper thingy, so we shall see.

admon Apr 6th 2009 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by busybee2 (Post 7455694)
yep dont give keys back as they always do this, as you have done this i think you must go with the costs etc.

Refusing to give the keys back is an exceptionally bad idea, as in the eyes of the law here you are liable for the rent for as long as you refuse to give them back.

Blue Cat Apr 6th 2009 12:42 pm

offer to get it repaired Spugsy?

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7455735)
offer to get it repaired Spugsy?

I have done now, the guy is going to meet the main dude and call me and pass the phone,

I'm ****ing raging now, not really sure what to do, be calm and nice or shout at the twat, if I know where he is I'll go and see him.

Don't suppose going to the police would do me much good? Would they just tell me they're not interested?

Roadking Apr 6th 2009 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by admon (Post 7455720)
Refusing to give the keys back is an exceptionally bad idea, as in the eyes of the law here you are liable for the rent for as long as you refuse to give them back.

Maybe so, but it worked!

Blue Cat Apr 6th 2009 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7455744)
I have done now, the guy is going to meet the main dude and call me and pass the phone,

I'm ****ing raging now, not really sure what to do, be calm and nice or shout at the twat, if I know where he is I'll go and see him.

Don't suppose going to the police would do me much good? Would they just tell me they're not interested?

this is pretty common I am afraid, I think we will lose our entire deposit because I have decorated the entire apartment.

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7455752)
this is pretty common I am afraid, I think we will lose our entire deposit because I have decorated the entire apartment.

just spoke to the new guy who we dealt with and gave keys back to, he says the villa is in perfect condition, he never asked for any money either, so as suspected this guy is lying,

now the Sheikh himself has bought the villa, so what this guy is saying in a sense is that the Sheikh wants money from me,

so reckon I'll threaten him with disrespecting the Sheikh and say that the new eimrati guy who is running the property is going mad with him,

He told me (the emirati guy) to get the full deposit back or he'll call him, I need his number though.

NorthernLad Apr 6th 2009 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7455769)
just spoke to the new guy who we dealt with and gave keys back to, he says the villa is in perfect condition, he never asked for any money either, so as suspected this guy is lying,

now the Sheikh himself has bought the villa, so what this guy is saying in a sense is that the Sheikh wants money from me,

so reckon I'll threaten him with disrespecting the Sheikh and say that the new eimrati guy who is running the property is going mad with him,

He told me (the emirati guy) to get the full deposit back or he'll call him, I need his number though.

Tell him you will go to RERA/Police to raise the issue as it is effectively theft.

Spugsy Apr 6th 2009 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7455865)
Tell him you will go to RERA/Police to raise the issue as it is effectively theft.

what is RERA?

NorthernLad Apr 6th 2009 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7455896)
what is RERA?

Govt Real Estate Agency

http://www.rera.ae/