Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Adventures - what next?

Adventures - what next?

Old Jan 1st 2010, 6:59 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of
Default Adventures - what next?

Recent comenting on where to get climbing gear and hiking boots got me thinking about previous trips (i.e. Kili) and some others...in particular the Majalis Al Jinn cave in Oman.

In '93 while living in Muscat I heard about this cave, bought a 200 m caving rope, practiced technical rope work down the side of my house with a couple of mates, drove out to the Selma plateau, hired some donkeys to trek in with and did this 158 m drop in - still ranks as one of my most "out there" trips....

Less people have been into (and out of!) this cave than have been up Everest and future expeditions are now banned...(Thanks to Red Bull sponsored BASE jumpers...)

http://www.bahighlife.com/Adventure/Caving-in-Oman.html

http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/ng...re2/index.html

Any one else tried it? Ideas for a new non mainstream challenge?
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of
Default Re: Adventures - what next?

Be the first to BASE the Burj...
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you not seen The Descent? You wouldn't get me potholing for love nor money - scared me sh*tless
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spart
Already done http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0vQvHdN5qA
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 4:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

spart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud ofspart has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Kim67
Thats a very cool video. "the workers just assumed we were there to work.."

In nylon jumpsuits???
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 5:09 pm
Arrrrrrgh!

Dubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud ofDubaidog has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spart
Would be fantastic experience - but as mentioned, some nutters have already done it - but not right from the top.....
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Tis a cool vid (we don't have tv connected, just apple tv so am always watching stuff on youtube). I wonder what sort of things we'll see falling from the Burj tonight. Got some friends coming over to have a drink on our rooftop and see what unfolds.