Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Ads that definately arent pc

Ads that definately arent pc

Old May 14th 2008, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ads that definately arent pc

Originally Posted by shiva
go figure? what gets me is the same companies that make fake tan also make skin bleaching stuff.....
as long as they've got women who will pay for it, they will continue to make it and advertise it...

MM, xx
Old May 14th 2008, 4:09 pm

Coxy the Bear is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Dean
When Jaguar started using real walnut in the interiors of their top-range models back in the late-eighties (on the fascias, dashboards, etc), they advertised the fact in the Sunday broadsheets with the following slogan:

"A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree,
The harder you beat them, the better they'll be...."

Apparently, sales didn't increase as much as they had hoped..........
I worked in the motor trade right at the end of the eighties and was brought up in a motor trade environment. I have never seen or heard of that slogan. Bearing in mind the Peugeot had the 'Take my Breath Away' ad banned and also the ad with with the 205GTi being driven fast banned, I find that one hard to believe.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
It's crazy, isn't it? The Philippino girl who applied my fake tan a couple of weeks ago said, "I don't know what is wrong with you women. You have beautiful white skin, why do you want to dye it brown?". The she told me how much of her salary she was spending on whitening products! Her skin was the most beautiful colour, I just don't understand why she wanted to bleach it.

But then I guess the origins of wanting lighter skin in the east are the same as wanting darker skin in the west...

And yeah, I find that 'Fair and Lovely' ad shocking, too, although I haven't seen it.

You live in one of the hottest ares in the world and apply fake tan?! Are you sure?!
Old May 14th 2008, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coxy the Bear
I worked in the motor trade right at the end of the eighties and was brought up in a motor trade environment. I have never seen or heard of that slogan. Bearing in mind the Peugeot had the 'Take my Breath Away' ad banned and also the ad with with the 205GTi being driven fast banned, I find that one hard to believe.
I cut it out of the Sunday Times colour supplement at the time. If I can trace it I'll send it to you if you PM me your e-mail address.

It's actually a famous 'poem' or saying:

http://thinkexist.com/quotation/a_wo...at/165124.html

I don't make any stuff up on here - apart from the bits where I occasionally display an irrational optimism about Luton Town's survival hopes.........
Old May 14th 2008, 4:19 pm

When Jaguar started using real walnut in the interiors of their top-range models back in the late-eighties (on the fascias, dashboards, etc), they advertised the fact in the Sunday broadsheets with the following slogan:

"A woman, a dog, and a walnut tree,
The harder you beat them, the better they'll be...."

Apparently, sales didn't increase as much as they had hoped..........

This was actually a 16th Century proverb by Thomas Fuller, no link to Jaguar.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:20 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

You live in one of the hottest ares in the world and apply fake tan?! Are you sure?!
Yes, absolutely. One of my friend's dads died of skin cancer, so I have always been aware of the risks, particularly as I spent a lot of time in the southern hemisphere when I was young.

Added to that, UV rays are so ageing and I don't want to be all weathered and wrinkly.

Oh, and I am not in the least bit orange
Old May 14th 2008, 4:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam FTQ
Yes, absolutely. One of my friend's dads died of skin cancer, so I have always been aware of the risks, particularly as I spent a lot of time in the southern hemisphere when I was young.

Added to that, UV rays are so ageing and I don't want to be all weathered and wrinkly.

Oh, and I am not in the least bit orange
I think Coxy and I need to conduct a survey.

I suggest we should be present the next time Sam and her Filipino girl apply their fake tan and whitener. We will in fact offer to do it for them, and we will be able to comment immediately on the results.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:26 pm

I think Coxy and I need to conduct a survey.

I suggest we should be present the next time Sam and her Filipino girl apply their fake tan and whitener. We will in fact offer to do it for them, and we will be able to comment immediately on the results.

Easily done, can't stand fake tan or skin whitening. Natural, wether it be tanned or untanned is the way to go.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Easily done, can't stand fake tan or skin whitening. Natural, wether it be tanned or untanned is the way to go.
So you're going to leave me to apply all-over fake tan to Sam, and all-over whitener to Suki (or whoever)?

Oh all right, if you insist.......
Old May 14th 2008, 4:34 pm

So you're going to leave me to apply all-over fake tan to Sam, and all-over whitener to Suki (or whoever)?

Oh all right, if you insist.......
Be my guest, I'm not staining my hands for anyone!
Old May 14th 2008, 4:35 pm
Banned

Sam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond reputeSam FTQ has a reputation beyond repute

You wouldn't fancy me anyway, Coxy - I'm a brunette.
Old May 14th 2008, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This was actually a 16th Century proverb by Thomas Fuller, no link to Jaguar.
I know it's a 16C proverb - and Jaguar used it in glossy colour mag ads...

Like I said, if I can find it, I'll let you know.