Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

AD police arrests American for a FB post made while in the US

AD police arrests American for a FB post made while in the US

Old Mar 3rd 2015, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: AD police arrests American for a FB post made while in the US

Originally Posted by Cypselos
Because the US has never prosecuted anyone for crimes committed elsewhere...
What he did wasn't/isn't a crime in the US. So no crime was committed anywhere.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:35 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
What he did wasn't/isn't a crime in the US. So no crime was committed anywhere.
Are you sure about that?

The US has extra-territorial laws--if you transgress one of those laws outside of the US, and even if you're not American, you've committed a crime under US law. I don't see why the UAE should be any different.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

NewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to beholdNewCaledonia is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by norsk
Is there a military facility at the airport? If not I can't see how noting down a few aircraft numbers could be a threat to national security, unless of course they are making an example of them.
It is used by the US government .

There was an attack to US interests at the airport a few years ago.

This is all public information, btw.

US awaits UAE report on shootout at airport
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Are you sure about that?

The US has extra-territorial laws--if you transgress one of those laws outside of the US, and even if you're not American, you've committed a crime under US law. I don't see why the UAE should be any different.
Ok I'll give you that, that the UAE considers this a crime even though it was done in the US where it wasn't a crime.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure about that?

subtle difference is the US laws are public and written down.
Old Mar 3rd 2015, 3:15 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
subtle difference is the US laws are public and written down.
Apart from the secret ones (or, rather, the secret agencies who conveniently side-step them).
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:14 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon everybody should be arrested for everything, everywhere. At least that would be fair.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 11:56 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by amideislas
I reckon everybody should be arrested for everything, everywhere. At least that would be fair.
I'm sure we're all guilty in some way. I'd quite like a stretch in Finland...
Old Mar 6th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'm sure we're all guilty in some way. I'd quite like a stretch in Finland...
You like sitting with sweaty people in a Sauna

-

Speaking of sweating: I prefer Steam Rooms; don't like the dry heat of a Sauna.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Mar 6th 2015 at 11:12 pm.