British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   AD driver stuck in cruise control at 160km/h (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ad-driver-stuck-cruise-control-160km-h-749723/)

captainflack Feb 26th 2012 6:33 am

AD driver stuck in cruise control at 160km/h

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...olice-1.986168

This story appears to be typical of the general level of unreliable bullshit one has come to expect from the local rags.

csdf Feb 26th 2012 7:19 am

Re: AD driver stuck in cruise control at 160km/h

So he was driving at 160 km/h, without a seatbelt and using his mobile phone. Nice one.

Bahtatboy Feb 26th 2012 7:21 am

I thought the best bit was about how the Saudi (?) police dealt with a similar incident: they activated the car's emergency brakes by shooting out the rear window. No risk there, then.

Millhouse Feb 26th 2012 7:44 am

I never understand this ... why would you not just put it in neutral and coast to a stop? Hell, you could even use the breaks. Who cares if the engine is red lining while you are doing this.

shiva Feb 26th 2012 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9921378)
I never understand this ... why would you not just put it in neutral and coast to a stop? Hell, you could even use the breaks. Who cares if the engine is red lining while you are doing this.

exactly

Darkwan Feb 26th 2012 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9921364)
I thought the best bit was about how the Saudi (?) police dealt with a similar incident: they activated the car's emergency brakes by shooting out the rear window. No risk there, then.

How clever.

Bahtatboy Feb 26th 2012 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9921378)

How many times do I have to say this: Normal rules (of thought, logic, conduct, reliability etc etc ad nauseum) don't apply here.

Boomhauer Feb 26th 2012 8:50 am

They advised him to fasten the seatbelts and take similar precautions which he followed. Then they asked him to leave the accelerator and brakes untouched and apply the handbrake slowly.

It worked.
So the Local chap couldn't figure out on his own to apply the e-brake/handbrake ????

The replies giving god credit are hilarious ; god intervenes in Emirati traffic problems but not world child starvation/malnutrition.:thumbdown:

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 26th 2012 8:57 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 9921362)
So he was driving at 160 km/h, without a seatbelt and using his mobile phone. Nice one.

Amazing isn't it.

In the UK it'd probably not even be considered a type of entrapment.

"Here are your violations, sir; Speeding, No seatbelt fastened, Oh and, err, using your phone whilst driving"

captainflack Feb 26th 2012 9:04 am

And of course the journalist writing this tosh didn't think to ask the obvious question....

...which type of car this was.

Here is a rather more plausible series of events. Some local guy, wearing no seatbelt and talking on his mobile phone (naturally) is viewed by hundreds of people acting like a total bell-end on the public highway. Cop cars are alerted and get involved in some kind of pursuit.

They eventually stop the car, the aforementioned bell-end turns out to have good wasta, so they have to let him go.

But since the spectacle has been witnessed by countless dozens of people who are no doubt going to tell their friends what they saw (local loony on phone at high speed being chased by cops), an excuse has to be hastily concocted where the toe-rag gets turned into some kind of innocent victim of this shoddily-built foreign car (damn foreigners) and the AD police get to paint themselves as action heroes rather than as impotent minions.

Even the AD police though appear to appreciate that there would be hell to pay if they actually mentioned the make of car that they were inventing stories about. So they don't. Instead they laughably warn the public about the dangers of cruise control and dust and that we should check our own systems out (presumably by driving at 160km/h and setting it)?

I just love the fact that none of the comments point out what a load of b0llocks this whole thing is.

Miss Anne Thrope Feb 26th 2012 9:40 am

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 9921457)
And of course the journalist writing this tosh didn't think to ask the obvious question....

...which type of car this was.

Here is a rather more plausible series of events. Some local guy, wearing no seatbelt and talking on his mobile phone (naturally) is viewed by hundreds of people acting like a total bell-end on the public highway. Cop cars are alerted and get involved in some kind of pursuit.

They eventually stop the car, the aforementioned bell-end turns out to have good wasta, so they have to let him go.

But since the spectacle has been witnessed by countless dozens of people who are no doubt going to tell their friends what they saw (local loony on phone at high speed being chased by cops), an excuse has to be hastily concocted where the toe-rag gets turned into some kind of innocent victim of this shoddily-built foreign car (damn foreigners) and the AD police get to paint themselves as action heroes rather than as impotent minions.

Even the AD police though appear to appreciate that there would be hell to pay if they actually mentioned the make of car that they were inventing stories about. So they don't. Instead they laughably warn the public about the dangers of cruise control and dust and that we should check our own systems out (presumably by driving at 160km/h and setting it)?

I just love the fact that none of the comments point out what a load of b0llocks this whole thing is.

What he said - except that such behaviour on the AD-Al Ain highway is pretty much required of locals driving 4x4s, no?

OleJanx Feb 26th 2012 10:09 am

Why, oh why do I suspect the vehicle in question was a white Toyota Land Cruiser?

Spugsy Feb 26th 2012 11:20 am

Originally Posted by captainflack (Post 9921331)
http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/uae/em...olice-1.986168

This story appears to be typical of the general level of unreliable bullshit one has come to expect from the local rags.

Can't believe anything you read in that paper anyway, it's all bollocks. I bet he's still driving at that speed even now with no belt on.

Bahtatboy Feb 26th 2012 11:50 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9921565)
Can't believe anything you read in that paper anyway, it's all bollocks. I bet he's still driving at that speed even now with no belt on.

Saw a white Land Cruiser or Lexus equivalent on the central reservation of the main drag last week: had gone head-on into a palm tree. Big hole in the windscreen, and not from something entering the car...