Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Accommodation Lease Termination

Accommodation Lease Termination

Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accommodation Lease Termination

Is anyone aware of a law in Abu Dhabi which entitles the tenant of a residential property to terminate his lease by payment of one month's rent (and recover the balance of any advance payments) in the event that he must leave the country because he has lost or quit his job?

And even if it is law, is it ever put into practice?

I know this situation exists in Bahrain, but I've never heard of it in Abu Dhabi.

Thanks in anticipation
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:35 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Accommodation Lease Termination

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Is anyone aware of a law in Abu Dhabi which entitles the tenant of a residential property to terminate his lease by payment of one month's rent (and recover the balance of any advance payments) in the event that he must leave the country because he has lost or quit his job?

I know this situation exists in Bahrain, but I've never heard of it in Abu Dhabi.

Thanks in anticipation
I think to get out of the lease one needs to pay a penalty of two or three months rent.

got this off of "betterhomes" website

"Other highlights: In the event of premature termination by tenant, the tenant can claim for remainder rent amount by mutual agreement between landlord and tenant OR the rent committee can grant some amount of compensation to landlord and refund the remainder amount to tenant. "
http://www.bhomes.com/uae/dubai-law.xhtml
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:42 am
Viva la revolucion..

zamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to beholdzamboooka is a splendid one to behold

Thanks in anticipation
As for it being practiced. Im not sure, depends on your relationship with your landlord. I had a tenant who had to move back to the UK 6 months into a 1 year lease. He told me about 3 months in advance - we'd become friendly, so I didnt think it'd be prudent to put a penalty or whatever and we parted as friends..after I gave him his 6 months rent back of course!!
Old Aug 25th 2011, 9:57 am

Welivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond reputeWelivehere has a reputation beyond repute

Diplomatic clause as it's better known....

I ahve never heard of it implemebted or used in the UAE and would expect that it would need to be a contractual terms for almost any landlord here to comply.

Last edited by Welivehere; Aug 25th 2011 at 9:58 am. Reason: '
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:49 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation

Not in the UAE.

It simply comes down to the wording of the contract and how amenable a landlord wants to be.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in anticipation
You leaving us darling?
You need to come over and pick up your vodka and Sake if you are.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
Not in the UAE.

It simply comes down to the wording of the contract and how amenable a landlord wants to be.
I agree with Meow, its down to the relationship you have with the landlord, when I left Dubai I gave the landlord as much notice as possible (2 months). As I had been renting from him for over 3 years, we were even down to 4 cheques a year, my departure was painless and all deposits were returned promptly, guess this was still the 'good ol days'.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 1:17 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
You leaving us darling?
You need to come over and pick up your vodka and Sake if you are.
What, you haven't drunk it yet?! No, not leaving.
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond reputePatsy Stoned has a reputation beyond repute

What, you haven't drunk it yet?! No, not leaving.
I told you..I don't drink spirits......only wine and bubbly
Old Aug 25th 2011, 2:22 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned View Post
I told you..I don't drink spirits......only wine and bubbly
Sake is wine--try it really chilled with some sushi