Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Accidents down 40% in AD thanks to BB outage

Accidents down 40% in AD thanks to BB outage

Old Oct 18th 2011, 10:18 am
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of
Default Accidents down 40% in AD thanks to BB outage

http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/201...#axzz1b7x5ANKN

And 20% in Dubai...

Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:31 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accidents down 40% in AD thanks to BB outage

“Absolutely nothing has happened in the past week in terms of killings on the road and we’re really glad about that,” Brig Gen Al Harethi, director of the Abu Dhabi police traffic department, told the newspaper. “People are slowly starting to realise the dangers of using their phone while driving. The roads became much safer when BlackBerry stopped working.”

Sort the logic out of that...
Old Oct 18th 2011, 11:56 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
“Absolutely nothing has happened in the past week in terms of killings on the road and we’re really glad about that,” Brig Gen Al Harethi, director of the Abu Dhabi police traffic department, told the newspaper. “People are slowly starting to realise the dangers of using their phone while driving. The roads became much safer when BlackBerry stopped working.”

Logic? What's that got to do with Allah's will?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:01 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

iamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud ofiamthestig has much to be proud of

Maybe lost something in translation, but I'll have a stab at:

“Absolutely nothing has happened in the past week in terms of killings on the road" = Nobody has been killed on the road in the last week...?

It is staggering that accidents are down 40%, maybe they will take enforcement a bit more seriously, impound a few SUVs to get the message across.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 12:19 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthestig View Post
Maybe lost something in translation, but I'll have a stab at:

“Absolutely nothing has happened in the past week in terms of killings on the road" = Nobody has been killed on the road in the last week...?

It is staggering that accidents are down 40%, maybe they will take enforcement a bit more seriously, impound a few SUVs to get the message across.
No, not that bit, it was the leap from:

BB hasn't been working, therefore fewer people have been texting while driving, and therefore fewer accidents

to

And therefore (implicitly because there have been fewer accidents) people are beginning to realise the danger of texting while driving.

There's no logical connection between the two statements.

BTW, did you know that spiders hear through their legs? I've conducted the same experiment under identical conditions, on a whole range of species, and always with the same result: Put the spider on the ground, let it settle, clap loudly near it, and watch it spring into life; then, take the same spider, pull all its leg off, and repeat the experience. The little buggers never move, so they must have their ears in their legs.
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:23 pm
Millhouse is not a meme

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I think they have found a way to reach their 'zero road fatalities by 2020'...
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, did you know that spiders hear through their legs?
really?
Old Oct 18th 2011, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

ok I thought you were joking Bahtatboy but i did google it just to check just in case! http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/Spider...ensoryleg.html
Old Oct 18th 2011, 7:20 pm
Perky but sarky

lullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond reputelullabelle has a reputation beyond repute

BTW, did you know that spiders hear through their legs? I've conducted the same experiment under identical conditions, on a whole range of species, and always with the same result: Put the spider on the ground, let it settle, clap loudly near it, and watch it spring into life; then, take the same spider, pull all its leg off, and repeat the experience. The little buggers never move, so they must have their ears in their legs.
That brilliant news. Now how do we apply it to ****wit drivers? I'm all for amputating legs...
Old Oct 19th 2011, 2:56 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

If accurate those figures are truly terrifying, with rta's being the leading cause of death in emirati under 25's.......
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:31 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
If accurate those figures are truly terrifying, with rta's being the leading cause of death in emirati under 25's.......
No surprise, really. RTAs are the single largest cause of death in Saudi, which is amazing considering they're not exactly health fanatics.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 5:36 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

So the answer to to build cars that block or hinder phone signals...just like the answer to stopping drunks driving is to get a breathaliser installed into the ignition.

It might also help if some demographics were educated not to believe driving fast is "safer" and using indicators is only for "beginners".

N.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:26 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

No surprise, really. RTAs are the single largest cause of death in Saudi, which is amazing considering they're not exactly health fanatics.
15 times higher than the UK, and the highest per capita in the world

I reckon that having in addition to texting and phoning while they are driving, the loss of peripheral vision due to them wearing the dish-dash has a contribution to the problem.

That and the fact that what they lack in imagination, they make up for in blind faith and a liberal application of the horn.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:35 pm
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
It might also help if some demographics were educated not to believe ... using indicators is only for "beginners".

N.
Hadn't heard that. I'd assumed that it was plain indifference to everyone else.

On a related note, I'm tempted to video some arrogant bastard whizzing past a line of queued traffic and then forcing his way into the queue at the last moment. I find that highly offensive, and if giving offence here is a criminal act then surely I'd have a valid case of reporting the twat.
Old Oct 19th 2011, 12:57 pm
Some say, he adores KSA

On a related note, I'm tempted to video some arrogant bastard whizzing past a line of queued traffic and then forcing his way into the queue at the last moment. I find that highly offensive, and if giving offence here is a criminal act then surely I'd have a valid case of reporting the twat.
I keep meaning to setup my smartphone with the app I read about that continuously films whatever it is pointed at (like out of the windscreen) and only saves the last 30 seconds or so when you hit the button. Be perfect for keeping a running log of the shitty attitudes and driving standards in these lands.

Now what was it called...

Edit: Found it! http://www.dailyroads.com/

Last edited by iamthestig; Oct 19th 2011 at 1:19 pm.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.