Abu Dhabi United

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:15 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abu Dhabi United

As some of you may be aware, a consortium of UAE businessmen known as Abu Dhabi United Group for Development and Investment are buying Man City FC, enabling them to pay Eur 40m for Robinho amongst others. After the failure of a similar UAE consortium to rescue Silverjet Airline despite similar promises having been made, my concern as a City fan is whether this latest group is real. Back in the UK on bluemoon.com they believe ADUG is owned by the Abu Dhabi Royal Family but I can find nothing about them anywhere. Their CEO is a Dr. Sulaiman Al Fahim who evidently heads Hyder Properties but again, who are they? I know of Hyder Consulting only. If any Abu Dhabi residents can shed any light on the matter, yours truly would be most appreciative.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi United

ABUG was set up in the last 48 hours, principally to buy City.

The real power behind it is Sheikh Mansour, the brother of the UAE President who just happens to be married to Sheikh Mo's daughter.

It is Hydra Properties rather than Hyder.

Not really sure how this one will go, possibly will get in some major signings. From the sounds of things yesterday though they were just after glamour signings rather than people who would fit into the team, a lesson Madrid has learnt in recent times.

Now City have all this money they can start paying proper rent on Eastlands.

As for the Robinho signing, putting jam on a turd doesn't make it taste any better.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm........... I just had an e-mail from a (usually reliable) friend in Spain who tells of a wickedly hilarious rumour doing the rounds out there this morning. To sum it up:

A not-so-imaginary conversation............

"Hey Robinho, got your bags packed?"
"Yes - I'm due to fly to London in the next hour or so to sign for Chel....."
"Er....ah, yes... actually, can we have a word with you about that? You're actually flying to Manchester, not London."
"Manchester? Manchester?? Really??? Fantastic!!! I'll be playing with Tevez, Rooney, Ferdinand, Carrick, Scholes, Giggs........"
"Er....... I think you'd better sit down - there's something we have to tell you........."

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by benzonar View Post
As for the Robinho signing, putting jam on a turd doesn't make it taste any better.
Thanks for the heads-up. As for the jam analogy, it certainly worked for Chelsea, who were mediocre before the Roman invasion. Looking at their existing players, Man City should be challenging for a Top 6 place this year but not sure if that will satisfy the Sheikhs...poor Mark Hughes will be in for a nervous season.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

quite amusing that a company called United has bought City

there is still a long way to go in the process. They havn't even done the Due Dilligence yet so it could quite easily all go pearshaped, leaving City with a huge bill to pay for Robhino and no money to pay it!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:48 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
quite amusing that a company called United has bought City

there is still a long way to go in the process. They havn't even done the Due Dilligence yet so it could quite easily all go pearshaped, leaving City with a huge bill to pay for Robhino and no money to pay it!
Methinks you protest too much, sir. Mind you, if anybody knows about massive debts, its a Man Utd fan
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Simao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really niceSimao is just really nice

I have never heard of this organization before. I think it is like you put it, a last minute call. Although, I think they are making a mistake buying City because it is just obvious that there is no way that they'd crack the top four (like Mr. Fahim said when they signed the contract) and they will just compete for a UEFA cup spot.

Robinho isn't gonna spend more than one season there. He's gonna hate it with all the rain and no chance to play in the Champions League or even competing in the domestic league. He is gonna bite his tounge and consider it as a stepping stone to move for a greater club just like Tevez and Mascherano did with West Ham.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:27 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simao View Post
I have never heard of this organization before. I think it is like you put it, a last minute call. Although, I think they are making a mistake buying City because it is just obvious that there is no way that they'd crack the top four (like Mr. Fahim said when they signed the contract) and they will just compete for a UEFA cup spot.

Robinho isn't gonna spend more than one season there. He's gonna hate it with all the rain and no chance to play in the Champions League or even competing in the domestic league. He is gonna bite his tounge and consider it as a stepping stone to move for a greater club just like Tevez and Mascherano did with West Ham.
and who is going to pay the £32m for him then?

If I was a City fan I'd be over the moon about him, they have a pretty decent team anyway, especially with wright-phillips back, and this Jo lad upfront.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:42 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simao View Post

maybe you should read this as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2....premierleague
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 9:05 am