British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Abu Dhabi police - Wankers? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/abu-dhabi-police-wankers-588362/)

AnotherWorld Jan 31st 2009 7:19 pm

Abu Dhabi police - Wankers?

Whats the deal with cops, especially traffic cops here? Shouting and screaming at people is normal behaviour for them.

Ive heard the stories from people and seen them scream at taxi drivers etc for parking in the wrong place. literally scream.

Check The National today (1/2/2009) on page 5. An American sentenced to prison and facing deportation for a "rude gesture". His story sees the cop acting like a complete prick and you guessed it, screaming at him in Arabic for refusing to let him pass.

Also.. curiously, what nationality are the youngest ranked police here?

Bison Feb 1st 2009 4:37 am

Re: Abu Dhabi police - Wankers?

It seems that the police are the same all over the world....

Grace O Malley Feb 1st 2009 7:44 am

I have only had 2 experiences with the AD cops and both have been fab.

1. 8 wheeler smashed in to me , i was in complete shock, the car was finished, they held my hand, completely looked after me and were so sweet to me
2. RTA, not my fault, they gave me the slip for repair for the damage plus i had a couple of other dents, all were put down on the slip for me to get the whole car re sprayed

Mind you i have been stopped several times for car reg and insurance..... but still polite

I am sure there are some shitty ones out there..... but never come across one

Bison Feb 1st 2009 8:14 am

8 wheeler smashed in to me , i was in complete shock, the car was finished, they held my hand, completely looked after me and were so sweet to me
That's nice to hear, I wonder if they would have held my hand :rofl:

Grace O Malley Feb 1st 2009 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Bison (Post 7235363)
That's nice to hear, I wonder if they would have held my hand :rofl:

ha ha ha do you have long eye lashes and 36C

lol they are not all wankers, some are, some not, just like anywhere else in the world

Bison Feb 1st 2009 9:55 am

ha ha ha do you have long eye lashes and 36C
Tell me more.....

banter64 Feb 1st 2009 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by AnotherWorld (Post 7233970)
Whats the deal with cops, especially traffic cops here? Shouting and screaming at people is normal behaviour for them.

Ive heard the stories from people and seen them scream at taxi drivers etc for parking in the wrong place. literally scream.

Check The National today (1/2/2009) on page 5. An American sentenced to prison and facing deportation for a "rude gesture". His story sees the cop acting like a complete prick and you guessed it, screaming at him in Arabic for refusing to let him pass.

Also.. curiously, what nationality are the youngest ranked police here?

\
The young ones are normally Yemeni and Omani

commander Feb 1st 2009 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by banter64 (Post 7235929)
\
The young ones are normally Yemeni and Omani

are they any more stupid than the UAE ones?

Grace O Malley Feb 1st 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7235934)
are they any more stupid than the UAE ones?

Are there any UAE ones? I am not sure there is at that level (traffic cop)

Norm_uk Feb 1st 2009 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7235284)
I have only had 2 experiences with the AD cops and both have been fab.

1. 8 wheeler smashed in to me , i was in complete shock, the car was finished, they held my hand, completely looked after me and were so sweet to me
2. RTA, not my fault, they gave me the slip for repair for the damage plus i had a couple of other dents, all were put down on the slip for me to get the whole car re sprayed

Mind you i have been stopped several times for car reg and insurance..... but still polite

I am sure there are some shitty ones out there..... but never come across one

Yup it helps being a woman here in those situations.

I know ladies who have got away with drink driving, serious speeding and obstructive parking using their feminine charms.

N.

banter64 Feb 1st 2009 4:08 pm

dont know how to multi quote so I will answer

Yes the yemeni and the omani are more stupid than the local ones, hard to believe I know !!!!

Yes there are local cops that patrol the streets they dont normally stay there for long and move onto something else.

Grace O Malley Feb 2nd 2009 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 7236191)

I know ladies who have got away with drink driving, serious speeding and obstructive parking using their feminine charms.

N.

You see this is the prob here, inconsistency. A friend of mine, had one glass of wine at Jazz Bar, had a tiny little accident on the way home and spent the week in jail.... she prob would have spent less if her alcohol licence had not expired:mad:

Bison Feb 2nd 2009 9:21 am

N.
Prositution?

lionheart Feb 2nd 2009 9:35 am

Originally Posted by annacarna (Post 7235284)

Why would they stop you? I have been working in the Arabian Gulf over 10 years and have never been stopped by the Police except at KSA security check points. Has anybody else been randomly stopped by the Police over here?

Grace O Malley Feb 2nd 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7239052)
Why would they stop you? I have been working in the Arabian Gulf over 10 years and have never been stopped by the Police except at KSA security check points. Has anybody else been randomly stopped by the Police over here?

What do you constitute as radnom?? The police are at liberty to stop you at any time and ask to see yr Car reg/drivers licence/insurance, thats why most people keep their car reg and all docs in the glovebox