British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Abu Dhabi - Live Rock Band (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/abu-dhabi-live-rock-band-792740/)

Quackers Apr 3rd 2013 12:14 pm

Abu Dhabi - Live Rock Band

Any recommendations for a bar with good rock band :cool:

I've tried Hemingway's (Hilton), Heros (Crowne Plaza) and Tavern (Sheraton Corniche).

It needs to be in the same area (as above) between 1st & 15th as I don't want stupid taxi prices (from Reem Island). :unsure:

Millsyisland Apr 4th 2013 8:06 am

Re: Abu Dhabi - Live Rock Band

They used to have a good band at 49ers at the Al Diar Dana Hotel, near(ish) Abu Dhabi Mall - that was a few years ago mind so things may have changed..

Meow Apr 4th 2013 8:24 am

Some people don't want much.

I want to see a live rock band, but only in Umm Sequim, on a Tuesday, between the hours of 9 and 11pm, with a female lead singer with red hair, who can also play the harmonica.

*awaits the super helpful advice of the willing ME posters*

:cool: ;)

Quackers Apr 4th 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10639672)
Some people don't want much.

I want to see a live rock band, but only in Umm Sequim, on a Tuesday, between the hours of 9 and 11pm, with a female lead singer with red hair, who can also play the harmonica.

*awaits the super helpful advice of the willing ME posters*

:cool: ;)

hmmm simple question....I will consider any night (if you can sort the following day off) and any area (if you can collect me and deliver me home in a drunken state) and any singer (as long as he/she wears a short skirt) and any colour hair (as long as it's long). hmmmm not sure about the harmonica :p

Bahtatboy Apr 4th 2013 7:14 pm

Yeah, 49'ers' band is still good (or was a month or two back). And if you go relatively early you miss Abdul and Raj and their mates...

Happy days (says he with a wistful glaze in his eyes...). My first foray into the throbbing hub of El Jadida was thus. Ibis Hotel bar, sharing a boring place and bad service with 4 other clients. Hotel Moner-something bar, which being half-tiled up to waist level had the appearance of a London Underground mens toilet, with marginally less charm; one big TV on the wall showing Arabic footy, under which was sat a crooning grease-ball with a big electric keyboard, singing from his throat to the accompaniment of dischords. Followed by a trip to the nightclub below, to witness men dancing with other men, and a few gorgeous women tagged up with more grease-balls. Give me 49'ers or The Seaview any day...

Just thought I'd share that.

Kix Apr 5th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10640735)
My first foray into the throbbing hub of El Jadida was thus. Ibis Hotel bar, sharing a boring place and bad service with 4 other clients. Hotel Moner-something bar, which being half-tiled up to waist level had the appearance of a London Underground mens toilet, with marginally less charm; one big TV on the wall showing Arabic footy, under which was sat a crooning grease-ball with a big electric keyboard, singing from his throat to the accompaniment of dischords. Followed by a trip to the nightclub below, to witness men dancing with other men, and a few gorgeous women tagged up with more grease-balls.

Sounds like heaven....

ctfc Apr 5th 2013 10:49 am

The band in Rockbottom at Capital Hotel are ok also, not so much heavy rock music as 49'ers but not overrun with hookers (so much).

Not sure if it's still there but the first place on the left, Filipino bar, in that weird group of restaurants between Abu Dhabi Mall and Le Meridien used to be good on Thursday and Friday nights and hooker free.

49ers band by far the best. They do some really excellent Rage Against the Machine if they're in the right mood. For God's sake though, do not go in the bar on the mezzanine floor. They are possibly the worst band I have ever heard massacre music.

Bahtatboy Apr 5th 2013 11:57 am

Originally Posted by ctfc (Post 10641688)

49ers band by far the best. They do some really excellent Rage Against the Machine if they're in the right mood. For God's sake though, do not go in the bar on the mezzanine floor. They are possibly the worst band I have ever heard massacre music.

If you're referring to the 3 girls in matching garb and the keyboard player who looks like Bill Nighie after he turns in Shaun of the Dead, they've gone (well they had last time I was there, prob late last year). Agree they're the worst I've ever seen: costumes like your 5-year would make, dancing moves worse than mine, and just a god-awful racket. So bad it was almost good--I just wonder if, in fact, they were knowingly self-parodying, and we were the daft ones...

soukie Apr 5th 2013 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10640735)
Happy days (says he with a wistful glaze in his eyes...). My first foray into the throbbing hub of El Jadida was thus. Ibis Hotel bar, sharing a boring place and bad service with 4 other clients. Hotel Moner-something bar, which being half-tiled up to waist level had the appearance of a London Underground mens toilet, with marginally less charm; one big TV on the wall showing Arabic footy, under which was sat a crooning grease-ball with a big electric keyboard, singing from his throat to the accompaniment of dischords. Followed by a trip to the nightclub below, to witness men dancing with other men, and a few gorgeous women tagged up with more grease-balls. Give me 49'ers or The Seaview any day...

Just thought I'd share that.

Or you could be in Saudi or Kuwait and be drinking Bepsi! Interesting account though - have you found Rick's Cafe yet?