Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi International Triathlon

Abu Dhabi International Triathlon

Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice
Default Re: Abu Dhabi International Triathlon

Managed 2:42 for the Sprint course which I'm fairly pleased about. Blinding effort from everyone on a really hard day.

Mrs DB was one of the 75% of Sprint entrants who were mis-directed by the marshall on the Long Course turning point on Yas highway. NOT happy, although since I ignored him and followed the signs, I was able to get the distance data from my bike computer and work out her thoeretical actual time. Only other hiccup was when an aid station chap handed me a bottle of water. Poured it all over myself then found it was gatorade......mmm, sticky!

DB
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DustyBits
Managed 2:42 for the Sprint course which I'm fairly pleased about. Blinding effort from everyone on a really hard day.

Mrs DB was one of the 75% of Sprint entrants who were mis-directed by the marshall on the Long Course turning point on Yas highway. NOT happy, although since I ignored him and followed the signs, I was able to get the distance data from my bike computer and work out her thoeretical actual time. Only other hiccup was when an aid station chap handed me a bottle of water. Poured it all over myself then found it was gatorade......mmm, sticky!

DB
Well done! Thats a good time!

I was SOOOO pissed off about being misdirected too! the Marshall actually shouted "Sprint turn here" as I passed. I challenged him and said "so where's the sign?" the reply was "not my problem. By the time I turned, faffed around to get over the timing mat and avoid oncoming cyclists, I had maybe lost at least a minute. NOT happy either. My time wasn't so good so not posting it... my legs were in bits for the run, so it suffered.. just happy to have finished.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Well done! Thats a good time!

I was SOOOO pissed off about being misdirected too! the Marshall actually shouted "Sprint turn here" as I passed. I challenged him and said "so where's the sign?" the reply was "not my problem. By the time I turned, faffed around to get over the timing mat and avoid oncoming cyclists, I had maybe lost at least a minute. NOT happy either. My time wasn't so good so not posting it... my legs were in bits for the run, so it suffered.. just happy to have finished.
They made an apology for that at the awards party last night. Its annoying but it does happen sometimes.

Your time was your best ever, so I would say it was good!!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:55 pm
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

DB
I thought the signs were pretty obvious to be honest..Are you telling me that the marshall was telling people to disobey the signs? what a c%ck up...

As we know, when fatigue has settled in, its difficult to rationalise, so i can really understand why people would ignore the sign and obey the simplest instruction..a guy waiving in the other direction..

Hope it didnt spoil her day.

My mate had his Ipod and phone stolen from his white bag. They were in a zipped bag inside with his car keys. His car keys were left. This is not an isolated story so there appears to have been some pilfering which is unfortunate.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:09 pm
Forum Regular

DustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really niceDustyBits is just really nice

Originally Posted by commander
I thought the signs were pretty obvious to be honest..Are you telling me that the marshall was telling people to disobey the signs? what a c%ck up...

As we know, when fatigue has settled in, its difficult to rationalise, so i can really understand why people would ignore the sign and obey the simplest instruction..a guy waiving in the other direction..

My mate had his Ipod and phone stolen from his white bag. They were in a zipped bag inside with his car keys. His car keys were left. This is not an isolated story so there appears to have been some pilfering which is unfortunate.

Yes, he was actually telling cyclists to ignore the sign, and that it was the Sprint turning point. As you say, with fatigue then those following behind took it as well. Result was 220 out of 264 Sprint competitors had their times screwed up by this guy.

Last edited by DustyBits; Mar 13th 2011 at 1:14 pm.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weescot
Well done - I saw your time and it was faster than one of the female pro elite's staying with me.

That cycle - that wind... it was tough! I finished and didnt' come last :-) 80 out of 96...
Wow, well done Commander...

Weescott, don't sell yourself short doll, you did amazing... well done, so when's the next one?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 2:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Grace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond reputeGrace O Malley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa
bloody hell weescot, that's fantastic, well done you...! you'll be able to run back to ad the next time we go for brunch, lol...

MM, xx
lol, nah she's getting a tandem... um I think we are due for a brunch soon, no?
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, he was actually telling cyclists to ignore the sign, and that it was the Sprint turning point. As you say, with fatigue then those following behind took it as well. Result was 220 out of 264 Sprint competitors had their times screwed up by this guy.
Sorry about your mate's stuff. One of my pro's had stuff missing from her t1 bag, but thankfully she got it back.

Yes, the marshall told us to turn at the long course turn - I had already passed it as I knew it wasn't the right turning, but he called at me and was insistent it was the Sprint turn despite me telling him I thought he was wrong. It didnt spoil my day, but like DB said, it screwed up our times .... and like you said, a c%ck up... but letting it go. I finished and pleased with that.

Again, well done to all. and yes, I will be able to run to the brunch Q more often....
Old Mar 13th 2011, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

giddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to allgiddyup is a name known to all

Anyone see Julie Dibens come down the shute...OMG...I thought she was in bits - she grafted that one out...very impressive to watch...congrats to all who competed/completed.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 7:26 pm
banned

Originally Posted by giddyup
Anyone see Julie Dibens come down the shute...OMG...I thought she was in bits - she grafted that one out...very impressive to watch...congrats to all who competed/completed.
I have the pro staying with me that was 1st off the bike and the race leader until approx 13K.. he collapsed on the finishing line. We have just been out for had dinner and the pair of us are both shuffling along like john wayne..very funny to look at.

To be honest, the womans race was a bit of a non event, Dibbens was just too good, always was going to be too good...forgone conclusion. Amazing athlete.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:30 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.sport360.com/uae/news/605...rom-fat-to-fit

Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grace O Malley
lol, nah she's getting a tandem... um I think we are due for a brunch soon, no?
yep, defo, let's get it sorted...

MM, xx
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:16 am
banned

yep, defo, let's get it sorted...

MM, xx
if its in Abu Dhabi and after April, count me in. (if invited of course, as i am such a chav)
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

if its in Abu Dhabi and after April, count me in. (if invited of course, as i am such a chav)
hmmm...will defo be after april, hadn't thought about abu dhabi but maybe that's not a bad idea...

MM, xx
Old Mar 14th 2011, 7:39 am
banned

hmmm...will defo be after april, hadn't thought about abu dhabi but maybe that's not a bad idea...

MM, xx
ok and before July as im moving to Dubai then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.