British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Abu Dhabi to fund $45bn project in Pakistan :eek: (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/abu-dhabi-fund-%2445bn-project-pakistan-eek-787703/)

Millhouse Feb 17th 2013 4:46 pm

Abu Dhabi to fund $45bn project in Pakistan :eek:

A member of Abu Dhabi's royal family says he plans to spend touted in Pakistan as the country's biggest ever foreign investment.

Sheikh Nahayan bin Mubarak al-Nahayan said the investment plans - which his business partner in Pakistan said on Friday included the tallest building in the world - were at a very early stage.

http://www.zawya.com/story/Abu_Dhabi...17nL6N0BH0X42/

:eek: a very early stage, I think.

Autonomy Feb 17th 2013 7:12 pm

Re: Abu Dhabi to fund $45bn project in Pakistan :eek:

"The deal included plans to construct a miniature seven wonders of the world, the tallest building in the world, a sports city, an education and medical city, an international city and a media city, according to the press release."

Sounds quite familiar... where on earth could possibly have such things....

Paracletus Feb 18th 2013 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 10551252)
"The deal included plans to construct a miniature seven wonders of the world, the tallest building in the world, a sports city, an education and medical city, an international city and a media city, according to the press release."

Sounds quite familiar... where on earth could possibly have such things....

Everywhere, now has these things...it's getting quite boring. Well, it's in for some good competition on the media city front..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/medi...-carbuncle-cup

flares Feb 18th 2013 3:37 pm

Sheikh Nahayan bin Mubarak al-Nahayan is my fave Sheikh bar none.

They should make cuddly dolls of the dude.

Top bloke.

Norm_uk Feb 19th 2013 4:32 am

Do they ever think of anything original? It seems they want lots of mini-Dubai's around the region...

I think Pakistan needs infrastructure investment more than baubles.

N.

Paracletus Feb 19th 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10553823)
Do they ever think of anything original? It seems they want lots of mini-Dubai's around the region...

N.

Do you know about Bahria Town? Did some work for a fella who owned some property there..A gated community for erm..1 million people.....

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 19th 2013 12:18 pm

N.

The thing with stuff like this and the Kingdom Tower in KSA is that nobody is ever going to get to see or enjoy them because the countries they are in are so backward.

Shame.

Norm_uk Feb 20th 2013 4:39 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10554517)
The thing with stuff like this and the Kingdom Tower in KSA is that nobody is ever going to get to see or enjoy them because the countries they are in are so backward.

Shame.

Quite true. It's not like there's going to be a rush of tourists to Saudi or Pakistan just because they built something shiny.

N.

weasel decentral Feb 20th 2013 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10554517)

Shame.

I have been on sky deck (or whatever its called) of the kingdom tower, and believe me even if it was in a normal country its not really worth going to see. However it is busy because there is **** all else to do.

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 20th 2013 4:56 am

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10555975)
I have been on sky deck (or whatever its called) of the kingdom tower, and believe me even if it was in a normal country its not really worth going to see. However it is busy because there is **** all else to do.

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10555972)
Quite true. It's not like there's going to be a rush of tourists to Saudi or Pakistan just because they built something shiny.

N.

Exactly, there's no point.

Going up the Eiffel Tower or Empire State or maybe even the Shard will give impressive views of historic, beautiful cities.

Looking out over desert and cities that are living history isn't fun. Especially without a beer.

Boomhauer Feb 20th 2013 5:29 am

N.

Pakistan needs Western takeover, but I digress...

It needs :
Nutrition for the poor masses
PLumbing
Nutrition
Medicines/Hospitals
Nutrition
Education (not the religious bullshit type).
Nutrition.

Why spend money on the above when building grand baubles brings more and consistent publicity.

Norm_uk Feb 20th 2013 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10556028)
Pakistan needs Western takeover, but I digress...

It needs :
Nutrition for the poor masses
PLumbing
Nutrition
Medicines/Hospitals
Nutrition
Education (not the religious bullshit type).
Nutrition.

Why spend money on the above when building grand baubles brings more and consistent publicity.

A lot of places need Western takeover...I would actually love to see a return to colonialism, we only gave back places because of a lack of will. There are too many places we didn't finish the job in. I know a lot of non-Westerners who have expressed this too, it's not just me reading too many Flashman novels :)

N.

Irishbeekeeper Feb 20th 2013 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Paracletus (Post 10554478)
Do you know about Bahria Town? Did some work for a fella who owned some property there..A gated community for erm..1 million people.....

Yeah, lived there for 7 years, love the place, own a house there
and yes I agree, we do need a western takeover but not the american kind please

and btw, the day they make (actually finish) this planned monstrosity in karachi will be the day ill change my name to Ivan Asukalot!!

Karachi is no longer a city my friend, it has officially has gone over the edge!
And it will never come back from the dark side. Think Gotham City with no batman ever!