Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Abu Dhabi fatwa declares tattoos haram

Abu Dhabi fatwa declares tattoos haram

Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:39 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice
Default Abu Dhabi fatwa declares tattoos haram

That'll be half of JBR covering up then... New tattoos, existing tattoos, where is the line...?

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-15-1.329726
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:58 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Abu Dhabi fatwa declares tattoos haram

Originally Posted by Cow Pie
That'll be half of JBR covering up then... New tattoos, existing tattoos, where is the line...?

http://www.emirates247.com/news/emir...12-15-1.329726
Just another thing to add to the list:
  • Consensual adult sex is illegal unless married.
  • Muslim women forbidden by law to marry non-Muslim men - the reverse is not a problem though.
  • Not showing affection in public between members of the opposite sex
  • Preaching any religion but Islam in public, especially to a Muslim.
  • Saying anything unpleasant about Islam, especially it's Prophet
  • Saying anything bad about the government.
  • Saying anything bad about the local culture or people
  • Drinking booze without a license outside of hotel premises
  • Checking mirrors and using indicators when changing lanes...

Since us infidels are automatically haram by merit of breathing no one will worry about this fatwa against tattoos.

N.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:01 am
Waiting for my epiphany.

Cow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really niceCow Pie is just really nice

Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
  • Muslim women forbidden by law to marry non-Muslim men - the reverse is not a problem though.

Since us infidels are automatically haram by merit of breathing no one will worry about this fatwa against tattoos.

N.
oh no i abide by the last one, mirrors and using those, in my case, red things that flash on the side of the car
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:25 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the showing affection rule, how come young men are allowed to hold hands and kiss in public, willy nilly? No wonder so many Arabs become gay.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:26 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which beggars the question, Norm, of why do you live in this country when you despise it and its culture so much?

Most of us on this forum have our own issues with the UAE but none of us reek of hypocrisy as much as you do.

N.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 9:54 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Which beggars the question, Norm, of why do you live in this country when you despise it and its culture so much?

Most of us on this forum have our own issues with the UAE but none of us reek of hypocrisy as much as you do.
Seems I have touched a nerve - or perhaps you've just been reading "How to win friends and influence people" lately.

I'm simply listing some negatives - that's hardly the same as "despising it and it's culture". I can just as easily list negatives about the UK or any other country I am familiar with and still live there as a law abiding and productive member of society without being accused of being a scathing hypocrite by people who don't actually know me personally.

Come to think of it I don't owe you an explanation for why I am here Ethos, or even a polite response - particularly when you feel the need to accuse me of hypocrisy based on my posts in a moaning, whining expat forum...

N.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

There are certain topics where you rarely fail to jump in - to the point that it's predictable. The top two are religion and the Islamic world.

On top of it the depth of your dislikes as evidenced in your posts suggests someone who spent, well, too much time obsessing with the flaws of the topic at hand. For most of us life is too short to worry too much about what fatwa in Abu Dhabi said or what some religion leader did 500 years ago.

Seems I have touched a nerve - or perhaps you've just been reading "How to win friends and influence people" lately.

I'm simply listing some negatives - that's hardly the same as "despising it and it's culture". I can just as easily list negatives about the UK or any other country I am familiar with and still live there as a law abiding and productive member of society without being accused of being a scathing hypocrite by people who don't actually know me personally.

Come to think of it I don't owe you an explanation for why I am here Ethos, or even a polite response - particularly when you feel the need to accuse me of hypocrisy based on my posts in a moaning, whining expat forum...

N.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 10:44 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

On top of it the depth of your dislikes as evidenced in your posts suggests someone who spent, well, too much time obsessing with the flaws of the topic at hand. For most of us life is too short to worry too much about what fatwa in Abu Dhabi said or what some religion leader did 500 years ago.
Or, Ethos:

On top of it the depth of your dislikes as evidenced in your posts suggests someone who spent, well, too much time obsessing about other posters' views. For most of us life is too short to worry too much about what some bloke on a forum wrote about 15 minutes ago.

Methinks you do protest too much.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 12:56 pm

There are certain topics where you rarely fail to jump in - to the point that it's predictable. The top two are religion and the Islamic world.
Even if that's true so what? Why would you care if I am predictable or what subjects I seem to jump into? Have you read all my posts in the last six years to be able to confidently say that's the truth?

Life's probably also too short to take posts in the British Expats forums so seriously to the point where you are making unfounded character judgements against individual posters - posters who've been around a lot longer than you.

It might be a big shock but I'm not here to please or entertain you...or to meet your standards on posting on a variety of topics.

N.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ronnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond reputeRonnie Biggs has a reputation beyond repute

N.
* Failing to immediately reply to a text message. Particularly while weaving an over-powered 4X4 at 160KM p/h through rush hour traffic on SZR.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 8:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

As I started to read the article I was wondering how they would get around abolishing henna, popular with Yemenis and other Arab women. Then read that only permanent tattoos are haram. Looks like they included that loophole in just to accommodate henna, even though they don't say it.

So what they gona do with people already sporting tattoos, force them to cover up? What if you are at the beach and can't possibly cover up?
Old Dec 16th 2010, 5:24 pm
Mary Poppins 4evah!

Umbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really niceUmbrella is just really nice

Ugh...

There's got to be a grandfather clause in all of this...

I just had a huge cloud and a couple hundred rain drops tattooed around my neck...

Might as well throw out the v-neck tees...

U.
Old Dec 16th 2010, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond reputeOyibopeppeh has a reputation beyond repute

****ing idiots...but lets see if they'll put it into practice...
Old Dec 16th 2010, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

soukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond reputesoukie has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's a great idea. I hate tattoos and there does seem to be a lot more on show these days. Not sure how they will enforce it though - maybe part of the medical

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.