British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Abu Dhabi Brunch / Lunch / Something (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/abu-dhabi-brunch-lunch-something-753022/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 5:52 am

Abu Dhabi Brunch / Lunch / Something

All,

Going to AD for the weekend (to see Elton John). Staying on Yas Island but the Mrs wants to see some of acutal AD, not a problem, will do a little tour with her.

Aside from that, are there any good brunches / restuarants for a nice lunch that people can recommend we do?

Thanks in advance.

ScamplovesElton

Brains1983 Mar 28th 2012 6:05 am

Re: Abu Dhabi Brunch / Lunch / Something

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976300)
All,

Going to AD for the weekend (to see Elton John). Staying on Yas Island but the Mrs wants to see some of acutal AD, not a problem, will do a little tour with her.

Aside from that, are there any good brunches / restuarants for a nice lunch that people can recommend we do?

Thanks in advance.

ScamplovesElton

Friday Brunch
Westin - AD Golf Club
Origins -YAS Viceroy

Evening Meals;
Teatro - Park Rotana
Blue Grill - YAS Rotana
Amerigos - Parl Inn Rotana

Grand Mosque is pretty awesome. There's **** all else to do in Abu Dhabi apart from eat and drink.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 6:13 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9976310)
Friday Brunch
Westin - AD Golf Club
Origins -YAS Viceroy

Evening Meals;
Teatro - Park Rotana
Blue Grill - YAS Rotana
Amerigos - Parl Inn Rotana

Grand Mosque is pretty awesome. There's **** all else to do in Abu Dhabi apart from eat and drink.

Sweet. Staying on Yas Island seems sensible for brunch, plus means no hassle getting back and forth (I can't be bothered with the cab ride).

Grand Mosque - I'm on the website for it now, does it take long to take the tour around? Keen to do that.

Thanks Brains

britexpat76 Mar 28th 2012 6:37 am

Have brunch at the Radisson Blu (Yas Island). It was one of the best 18 months ago, and reasonably priced.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 6:41 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 9976346)
Have brunch at the Radisson Blu (Yas Island). It was one of the best 18 months ago, and reasonably priced.

That's where I'm staying, booked Origins at the Viceroy. I refused to pay the prices for a room there so brunch will do :)

Millhouse Mar 28th 2012 6:42 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976316)
Sweet. Staying on Yas Island seems sensible for brunch, plus means no hassle getting back and forth (I can't be bothered with the cab ride).

Grand Mosque - I'm on the website for it now, does it take long to take the tour around? Keen to do that.

Thanks Brains

You can't go to the mosque on Fridays. Do the tour at (I think) 11am on Saturday. I think the mosque is great.

The Arabic place in the YAS hotel is very nice. Also - why not go to the Drag Racing in the evening at the YAS circuit. It's dirt cheap and quite good. Pro Drag is this weekend.

Anyway - how old are you? Elton John. Jesus Christ man.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 6:48 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9976353)
You can't go to the mosque on Fridays. Do the tour at (I think) 11am on Saturday. I think the mosque is great.

The Arabic place in the YAS hotel is very nice. Also - why not go to the Drag Racing in the evening at the YAS circuit. It's dirt cheap and quite good. Pro Drag is this weekend.

Anyway - how old are you? Elton John. Jesus Christ man.

OK well we are planning Saturday AM once checked out, go to Mosque then up to the Corniche and have lunch somewhere probs.

Drag Racing - I'm going to investigate that and surprise the Mrs with a really nice, relaxing, quiet, girly treat for her. ahahahahaha.

Kind of hooked on Elton, my old man used to blare it out when he picked me up from my Mums on Saturday mornings

Meow Mar 28th 2012 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976300)
All,

Thanks in advance.

ScamplovesElton

If you want to impress her, and be amused by just how over the top a place can be, book for afternoon tea at Emirates Palace. I also recommend a visit to the grand Mosque. I've taken a few visitors and they always enjoy it, plus the women have to dress in an abaya & head scarf (provided for free) so an opportunity for some interesting photos too.

:)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9976388)
plus the women have to dress in an abaya & head scarf (provided for free) so an opportunity for some interesting photos too.

:)

I'm going to take a picture and send it to her Dad (closet racist), tell him we've converted so we can get married.

Would be amazing.

Brains1983 Mar 28th 2012 8:47 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976316)

Thanks Brains

About 45mins if you go with the tour guides (you can also wander around yourself). The guides are quite good and explain a lot about the construction. Don't take photos at the place where Zayeds body is, they go ****ing nuts.

We like Origins because it's pretty family friendly, it's not boistorous at all. Food is very good and all the restaurants in the hotel have a station at the brunch so a pretty good selection. They can be a bit slow with the booze though, just keep at them.

Not sure on the timings, but would suggest a drink at the skybar in the same hotel, it straddles the F1 course and is good for a couple of photos. There's also Stars N Bars (of Monaco Fame) in the marina area, grab a table outside and you overlook the yachts and the Viceroy hotel.

There's also Ferari world. Worth going once.

The Amerigoes - Mexican in the Park Inn is in the hotel next to you, recomend the steak on the hot stone.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 9:12 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9976542)
About 45mins if you go with the tour guides (you can also wander around yourself). The guides are quite good and explain a lot about the construction. Don't take photos at the place where Zayeds body is, they go ****ing nuts.

We like Origins because it's pretty family friendly, it's not boistorous at all. Food is very good and all the restaurants in the hotel have a station at the brunch so a pretty good selection. They can be a bit slow with the booze though, just keep at them.

Not sure on the timings, but would suggest a drink at the skybar in the same hotel, it straddles the F1 course and is good for a couple of photos. There's also Stars N Bars (of Monaco Fame) in the marina area, grab a table outside and you overlook the yachts and the Viceroy hotel.

There's also Ferari world. Worth going once.

The Amerigoes - Mexican in the Park Inn is in the hotel next to you, recomend the steak on the hot stone.

You're a gent, thanks for all those. Noted them down so I can go off exploring.

Ferrari World really worth a visit? Everyone I know says it is pants....maybe I'll investigate.

Thanks for the tip on the sky bar, is that the one inside the strange exo-skeleton type cladding? If so, I've seen pics from friends that have been and I'll certainly be trying it out.

Brains1983 Mar 28th 2012 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 9976555)
You're a gent, thanks for all those. Noted them down so I can go off exploring.

Ferrari World really worth a visit? Everyone I know says it is pants....maybe I'll investigate.

Thanks for the tip on the sky bar, is that the one inside the strange exo-skeleton type cladding? If so, I've seen pics from friends that have been and I'll certainly be trying it out.

The very same. Same place as your brunch so hopefully that works out for you.

I think Ferrari World is over priced, but worth to go once. However thinking about it a bit more, don't go at the weekend when it's busy. We went on a Wednesday AM 3 weeks after it opened and me and my dad were the only people in there for the first hour.

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 28th 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9976566)
The very same. Same place as your brunch so hopefully that works out for you.

I think Ferrari World is over priced, but worth to go once. However thinking about it a bit more, don't go at the weekend when it's busy. We went on a Wednesday AM 3 weeks after it opened and me and my dad were the only people in there for the first hour.

OK cool, maybe do it next time then.

Thanks for all the help. Viceroy for the afternoon it is then.

Brains1983 Apr 1st 2012 10:45 am

Did you manage to get a beer in the Skylite? We had friends in from Scotland and forgot all about it!

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 1st 2012 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 9983080)
Did you manage to get a beer in the Skylite? We had friends in from Scotland and forgot all about it!

Well, I went from brunch for a wander round the hotel taking pictures etc etc, then upstairs to pool bar as Skylite didn't open until 6pm.

Then to be honest, we couldn't really be bothered to wait around, we had a drink each, it cost me over £22, so we wandered back to our hotel and had a few free beers in the business class lounge before laying by the pool a bit more.

She was shattered as was I, so worked well.

Did see the skylite bar though, I wandered round and got shouted at. Looks lush.