British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   aaggh, is etisalat playing silly buggers... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/aaggh-etisalat-playing-silly-buggers-661668/)

Madam Medusa Mar 29th 2010 9:28 am

aaggh, is etisalat playing silly buggers...

...i'm having massive problems at the mo with the internet...either a page comes up blank but says done, or images appear as boxes with red crosses (just now, the smilies box on the right has half of them like this for example...)...

last night, couldn't access various websites at all, including be and facebook...this morning, it's hotmail...

anyone having the same issue, and anyone know what's going on...?

MM, xx

Blue Cat Mar 29th 2010 9:29 am

Re: aaggh, is etisalat playing silly buggers...

I am with Du so not experiencing it but it has been mentioned on Twitter quite a bit so there must be a problem somewhere.

Roadking Mar 29th 2010 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8456655)
...i'm having massive problems at the mo with the internet...either a page comes up blank but says done, or images appear as boxes with red crosses (just now, the smilies box on the right has half of them like this for example...)...

last night, couldn't access various websites at all, including be and facebook...this morning, it's hotmail...

MM, xx

Yep, similar issues at home and at the office. My eim email won't load the messages. Frikking Etishite.

The Dean Mar 29th 2010 9:37 am

MM, xx

There's a dedicated site where you can report such matters:

www.godyourebloodyuselessetisalat.ae

Autonomy Mar 29th 2010 9:38 am

MM, xx

yup - same same... I figure some new filter thing, but it's buggering up facebook business fan page entries etc and it's making my work all that more frustrating right now...

Madam Medusa Mar 29th 2010 9:38 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 8456684)
There's a dedicated site where you can report such matters:

www.godyourebloodyuselessetisalat.ae

hahahaha, i wish...

MM, xx

Madam Medusa Mar 29th 2010 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 8456688)
yup - same same... I figure some new filter thing, but it's buggering up facebook business fan page entries etc and it's making my work all that more frustrating right now...

yeah, it's a total pain in the arse...again...

MM, xx

MacScot Mar 29th 2010 9:41 am

MM, xx

Du was also down last night...could not access the internet for about an hour. Perhaps the authorities are upgrading their censorship/filter software?

Patsy Stoned Mar 29th 2010 9:48 am

It was bad yesterday, seemed ok this morning but playing up again now. It just seems to be random!!

typical Mar 29th 2010 10:33 am

Last weekend for about 4 hours, the Du filter was 90% off... lots of dodgy and unislamic sites were unblocked, the only site that gave the yellow warning page was flickr!

Hello.Kitty Mar 29th 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8456791)
Last weekend for about 4 hours, the Du filter was 90% off... lots of dodgy and unislamic sites were unblocked, the only site that gave the yellow warning page was flickr!

what is it with them banning flickr?! There are loads of nice, happy pictures and plants and landscapes and stuff on it... nothing subversive!

littlejimmy Mar 29th 2010 10:58 am

I doubt it's connected, but the web was inaccessible all last night here in Libya (we are on a satellite feed at work), and apparently it's because of the Arab summit. Or summat.

typical Mar 29th 2010 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty (Post 8456817)
what is it with them banning flickr?! There are loads of nice, happy pictures and plants and landscapes and stuff on it... nothing subversive!

There are pictures of breasts, and people having fun, and babies being thrown out with bathwater...

Hello.Kitty Mar 29th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8456830)
There are pictures of breasts, and people having fun, and babies being thrown out with bathwater...

oh, yeah, you're right... can't be dealing with that kind of perversity. :blink:

Meow Mar 29th 2010 11:32 am

MM, xx

I am having the same problems.

-

Patsy Stoned Mar 29th 2010 12:48 pm

LOL!! I should really know better but....... I have been on the phone for the last 10 minutes............
I called 101, spoke to a very nice person in internet section and tried to explain to him that there seems to be a problem with Etisalat and that lots of people in different areas are experiencing the SAME problem.
Randomly sites are not loading but the bar at the bottom shows that it is "done"

He then asked me to check my modem, check my connection etc..I again explained that it wasn't my problem it was etisalat's. He asked me which site would not load I said errr they are random..........and that lots of people were having the same problem.
I told him that I just wanted to know if they had had other reports from people about this because I know about 15 people with the same problem..........
he asked me to tell him my modem model and port number...........yet again....having given him all the details he asked for...I said ..it is NOT my connection............This is happening RANDOMLY to lots of people in different areas...........he said he understood that but could I tell him which webpage wouldn't load!!! WHAT PART OF RANDOM DO YOU FAIL TO UNDERSTAND????????????
Anyway I thanked him nicely and hung up!!!!
*patsy pours a glass of the bubbly stuff!!!! ( an early wine o'clock for me!!:D)

P.S. Can you all call 101 and tell them you are having this problem lol

Blue Cat Mar 29th 2010 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8457032)
LOL!! I should really know better but....... I have been on the phone for the last 10 minutes............
I called 101, spoke to a very nice person in internet section and tried to explain to him that there seems to be a problem with Etisalat and that lots of people in different areas are experiencing the SAME problem.
Randomly sites are not loading but the bar at the bottom shows that it is "done"

He then asked me to check my modem, check my connection etc..I again explained that it wasn't my problem it was etisalat's. He asked me which site would not load I said errr they are random..........and that lots of people were having the same problem.
I told him that I just wanted to know if they had had other reports from people about this because I know about 15 people with the same problem..........
he asked me to tell him my modem model and port number...........yet again....having given him all the details he asked for...I said ..it is NOT my connection............This is happening RANDOMLY to lots of people in different areas...........he said he understood that but could I tell him which webpage wouldn't load!!! WHAT PART OF RANDOM DO YOU FAIL TO UNDERSTAND????????????
*patsy pours a glass of the bubbly stuff!!!! ( an early wine o'clock for me!!:D)

you deserve a special award for this, myself and telephone conversations to any service in this country ceased many years ago!

Patsy Stoned Mar 29th 2010 12:52 pm

Oh ..but he did say that they have been having a problem with their email server but that this had been fixed a couple of hours ago, so maybe it is related............
Lol BC..any excuse for a glass of bubbly! :D

The Dean Mar 29th 2010 1:14 pm

Of course, my cynical brain is way off the mark to even contemplate the thought that the interruptions are deliberate - to prevent rumours about a certain missing person being circulated............... :sneaky:

Madam Medusa Mar 29th 2010 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Patsy Stoned (Post 8457032)

it's been a total mare all afternoon, now is the first time i've got back on...but the thought of phoning the muppets, no chance...

MM, xx

Millhouse Mar 29th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 8457158)
it's been a total mare all afternoon, now is the first time i've got back on...but the thought of phoning the muppets, no chance...

MM, xx

My blackberry has the hebie gebies all morning and I couldn't send emails. texts were ok. For a moment, I just assumed I'd be fired with the rest of my team.

rowell Mar 29th 2010 6:11 pm

MM, xx

They have been having problems throughout the UAe now for couple of weeks got problems at both our offices in Dubai and AD