British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   A380 operators to ground fleet for 8 weeks (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/a380-operators-ground-fleet-8-weeks-761435/)

jackthehat Jun 12th 2012 7:16 am

A380 operators to ground fleet for 8 weeks

Buried deep in today's GN

http://gulfnews.com/business/aviatio...eeks-1.1034492

mikewot Jun 12th 2012 9:18 am

Re: A380 operators to ground fleet for 8 weeks

Individual aircraft may take up to 8 weeks for fault rectification. Bit different to the entire fleet being grounded.

jackthehat Jun 12th 2012 9:41 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10114150)
Individual aircraft may take up to 8 weeks for fault rectification. Bit different to the entire fleet being grounded.

Your interpretation

OleJanx Jun 12th 2012 9:55 am

NorthernLad Jun 12th 2012 9:59 am

The full fix takes around eight weeks, there is a short-term fix that is being used to keep the planes in the air.

I was talking to an engineer about this, he was confident the planes are safe.

That said, if I'm flying on one the 380's I'd not want it to be in the air with a short-term fix.

jackthehat Jun 12th 2012 10:05 am

Pressure to release deliveries of the A380 before it was finished? - Let them fly in the sky for a while before getting on one! I can see another 'Comet' Scenario rolling around! - Purely a matter of time before the wings fall off!

mikewot Jun 12th 2012 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10114177)
Your interpretation

No. I work in the industry. I'm perfectly happy flying the A380.

mikewot Jun 12th 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by jackthehat (Post 10114206)
Pressure to release deliveries of the A380 before it was finished? - Let them fly in the sky for a while before getting on one! I can see another 'Comet' Scenario rolling around! - Purely a matter of time before the wings fall off!

Sigh! Nice try at scaremongering. Do a bit of a google and you'll find out what the problem is/was and the wings aren't about to fall off :blink:

Tockalosh Jun 12th 2012 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10114428)
Sigh! Nice try at scaremongering. Do a bit of a google and you'll find out what the problem is/was and the wings aren't about to fall off :blink:

I am sure they said Comets were safe as well.

Insurance companies are putting up their holiday ins premiums for anyone flying A380's or so some guy in the pub who has a mate who knew someone who overheard a bladdered guy in another pub saying so it must be true

Pikies are lining up at Heathrow to flog lucky heather to all those boarding A380's

Solicitors have set up a QuickWill shop by Emirates lounge in Heathrow

All employees at Broughton are being asked to look for other jobs

You cant beat a good rumour and these arent

mikewot Jun 12th 2012 2:05 pm

Sigh!
OK lets put our sensible heads on, just for a moment. Do you really, honestly and truly believe that an aircraft manufacturer and the airlines themselves and the safety regulators are going to take the risk to continue to allow the flight of an aircraft which is considered to be even remotely unsafe?

Think, just briefly, about the consequences. Aircraft crashes:
Everyone in the airline industry takes a cold bath as people are frightened to fly. Pan Am 103 anyone?

Airbus and the airline itself are sued for billions by the relatives.

Airbus executives are charged with corporate manslaughter.

Airbus goes under completely whilst the airline flying the aircraft is also unlikely to survive.

The aviation industry makes a very slow recovery but in the interim thousands of jobs are lost.

All of the above ignores the loss of hundreds of lives and the personal consequences to family and friends of those loss of lives.

If anyone seriously thinks people in the aviation industry would gamble with lives you must be bonkers!

Tockalosh Jun 12th 2012 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10114636)
Sigh!
OK lets put our sensible heads on, just for a moment. Do you really, honestly and truly believe that an aircraft manufacturer and the airlines themselves and the safety regulators are going to take the risk to continue to allow the flight of an aircraft which is considered to be even remotely unsafe?

Think, just briefly, about the consequences. Aircraft crashes:
Everyone in the airline industry takes a cold bath as people are frightened to fly. Pan Am 103 anyone?

Airbus and the airline itself are sued for billions by the relatives.

Airbus executives are charged with corporate manslaughter.

Airbus goes under completely whilst the airline flying the aircraft is also unlikely to survive.

The aviation industry makes a very slow recovery but in the interim thousands of jobs are lost.

All of the above ignores the loss of hundreds of lives and the personal consequences to family and friends of those loss of lives.

If anyone seriously thinks people in the aviation industry would gamble with lives you must be bonkers!

Almost convincing argument but perhaps but I am sure its only recently that most cigarette manufacturers have acknowledged that smoking is not actually that healthy for you and instead relied on the fact that not everyone who smoked died of it. So the aircraft manufacturers hope they can lie and bodge their mistakes before anything falls out of the sky. Meanwhile all those in the know fly 340's or Boeings

The A380 has bad Karma

I know, my spiritualist told me so and so did my palm reader.

mikewot Jun 12th 2012 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Tockalosh (Post 10114740)
So the aircraft manufacturers hope they can lie and bodge their mistakes before anything falls out of the sky.

I don't think you actually read what I wrote.

Tockalosh Jun 12th 2012 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10114843)
I don't think you actually read what I wrote.

Mike, you gotta break with the program mate before its too late; there's shit loads of indoctrination going on man. Even the security guard on the compound is saying its bad to fly on them double decker planes and he is from Nigeria and you know those guys are in touch with the "other side" with witchcraft and stuff.

Please go work for Boeing dude and be safe hey. Put them double decker coffins on the Teeside run

I need to roll another smoke quick.