British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   9 hours to kill in AD (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/9-hours-kill-ad-745951/)

littlejimmy Jan 23rd 2012 3:18 pm

9 hours to kill in AD

I'm on my way to Cambodia, flying via AD tonight, and because there's a delay to the Bangkok connection, I will have 9 hours to wait between landing at 7am and the next flight at 4pm. I can't see myself spending that long in an airport, so where's the nearest hotel? That one with Coopers isn't far away, but can't remember the name! Anyone?

Oyibopeppeh Jan 23rd 2012 3:40 pm

Re: 9 hours to kill in AD

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9859926)
I'm on my way to Cambodia, flying via AD tonight, and because there's a delay to the Bangkok connection, I will have 9 hours to wait between landing at 7am and the next flight at 4pm. I can't see myself spending that long in an airport, so where's the nearest hotel? That one with Coopers isn't far away, but can't remember the name! Anyone?

Park Rotana

(Ha ha....I have the number of the beast!)

littlejimmy Jan 23rd 2012 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Oyibopeppeh (Post 9859987)
Park Rotana

That's the fella. Thanks.

busybee2 Jan 23rd 2012 5:02 pm

al ghazal golf club right by the airport closer than any on yas etc

Bahtatboy Jan 24th 2012 3:52 pm

How about a day trip to Bur Dubai?

soukie Jan 24th 2012 3:57 pm

Good luck in Cambodia!

Millhouse Jan 24th 2012 4:30 pm

I'm a bit surprised that he didn't pop into MBZ to say An nyoung to his old work mates. I've sure they would have even given him a spot of lunch.

littlejimmy Jan 26th 2012 1:17 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9862364)
How about a day trip to Bur Dubai?

Hehe.

Well, I spent a bit more time that I wanted to in the UAE...12 hours in police custody, actually, and ended up arriving here in Cambodia a full day later than expected. Thanks once again to the two people from here who helped me get out of a rather sticky situation (you know who you are).

Good old HSBC, eh?

Millhouse Jan 26th 2012 5:19 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9865750)
Hehe.

Well, I spent a bit more time that I wanted to in the UAE...12 hours in police custody, actually, and ended up arriving here in Cambodia a full day later than expected. Thanks once again to the two people from here who helped me get out of a rather sticky situation (you know who you are).

Good old HSBC, eh?

come on then. What happened? What was the food like? How did you find the Anal sex?

littlejimmy Jan 26th 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 9866010)
come on then. What happened? What was the food like? How did you find the Anal sex?

Greasy and unsatisfying...(both the food and the anal sex).

soukie Jan 26th 2012 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 9865750)
Hehe.

Good old HSBC, eh?

OMG :eek:- Really??? Were you just in transit or did you actually enter AD?

littlejimmy Jan 26th 2012 2:03 pm

Well, here's a short version of what happened.

I was flying to Cambodia with Etihad, via AD and Bangkok. There was supposed to be a 2 hour stop in each place. On my way to Manchester Airport my new company rang to say there was a long delay to the Bangkok leg, and it would be leaving 8 or 9 hours late. When I landed in AD the transfer desk gave everyone a hotel voucher and told us to go through immigration and get picked up for the hotel. I had no inkling that they would pull me. I do have a debt to a UAE bank, but had agreed a payment plan with a UK company, and I have been back to the UAE since I left in 2007, staying for 3 weeks in AD only last year. So it was a surprise when the immigration officer told me there was a case against me.

I was taken to 2 different offices, sitting around a lot, then down a goods lift to a deportation holding area in the bowels of the airport. After a couple of hours they told me I was going to Dubai via AD police station and wouldn't be allowed to fly to Bangkok. Nice. They off-loaded my bags, drove me to AD police station in a caged van, then after another few hours of sitting around they took me to the main police station in Dubai, again in a caged van. It wasn't how I expected to see Dubai again...through bars. At the police station I was locked in a holding cell and after an hour or so a representative from the bank arrived to talk to me...well, I actually talked to the regional collections manager...and I was pretty much coerced into agreeing a new deal to pay back a reduced portion of what I owe in a short timeframe, despite already having an agreement in place. What choice did I have? I needed to get away and back on my way to my new job. So I was released after a 12-hour detention. The bank man was slightly apologetic but didn't explain how this police case had come about and why it hadn't shown up last time. All very strange.

I have been told it could have been worse, but some wonderfully helpful people kindly pulled a few strings and got the bank man to see me quickly. I walked out of the police station with all my luggage and no local currency, needing to get back to AD somehow. My company found me a room in the Crowne Plaza for the night (luckily, there were barely any rooms going), so I got a taxi (via Dubai airport to change some money) and I got the Etihad bus to AD airport early next morning and got the hell outta Dodge. I really don't know if I want to ever set foot in the Middle East again. And I certainly won't give HSBC any of my business again!

soukie Jan 28th 2012 12:05 pm

Sounds terrible. I have heard of people getting arrested in transit as the airline passenger list is checked. I suppose the message is don't transit through UAE if you have ever left any debts behind even if you are paying them off. Make sure you get a direct flight back or go via Bahrain.

flares Jan 28th 2012 12:08 pm

Apart from that How's Cambodia construction-wise, LJ?

Interesting projects? You mainly working with Malaysians? Chinese? Aussies?

littlejimmy Jan 28th 2012 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 9870131)
Apart from that How's Cambodia construction-wise, LJ?

Interesting projects? You mainly working with Malaysians? Chinese? Aussies?

I'm working on one particular job - an office tower block. There are a few Brits about and I've met a few Westerners in the accommodation. Quite a few French around. Our client is the Korean Contractor (kracken soup for lunch again...;)), but the working conditions are spot on. I have a 100-yard commute from a very nice serviced apartment with pool, gym and jacuzzi, and I've found myself a good tuk-tuk driver to take me down to the Riverside area where all the bars and restaurants are. Had a little touristy tour of PP today and it's very interesting. So far so good. Fingers crossed the AD nonsense was just a fly in the ointment!