9-Day Eating Adventure

Old May 1st 2011, 7:17 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 9-Day Eating Adventure

The BahtatFamily's holiday food-fest (mainly Abu Dhabi)…

Wed: Lebanese: Lebanese Flower take-away—and kept us going for lunches for nearly 3 days.
Thu: Italian: Il Palazzo—still the best Italian in town.
Fri: Vietnamese: Hanoi—fresh, tasty, light and cheap.
Sat: Japanese: Sumo—brilliant, even with the weird setting.
Sun: Indian: Curries(?), Dubai Mall—great chicken tikka.
Sun: Greek: ???, Dubai Mall—decent souvlaki
Sun: International Buffet: Hilton Resort RAK—good selection.
Mon: Seafood Buffet: Hilton Resort RAK—could have done with wider sushi selection.
Tue: Indian as before—tikka so good the boys and I had it again.
Tue: Thai: ???, Dubai Mall—light, mildly spicy and very tasty.
Wed: Italian-themed buffet at Ginger, Park Rotana—good selection, with some great meat dishes (saltimbocca was outstanding).
Thu: Korean: Hankook—the family really liked it, but I thought the meat was disappointing, they should have charged more for better quality. Need to take your own beer (discreetly), I like Korean food (sorry Lil'Jimmy) but its miles better with loads of beer.
Fri: Japanese: Samurai take-away—excellent as ever.

And I actually lost some weight by staying away from starchy carbs

Last edited by Bahtatboy; May 1st 2011 at 8:23 am. Reason: Hanoi, not Lemon Tree (doh)
Old May 1st 2011, 7:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 9-Day Eating Adventure

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy

Wed: Lebanese: Lebanese Flower take-away—and kept us going for lunches for nearly 3 days.
Fri: Vietnamese: The Lemon Tree—fresh, tasty, light and cheap.
Sat: Japanese: Sumo—brilliant, even with the weird setting.
Sun: Indian: Curries(?), Dubai Mall—great chicken tikka.
Sun: Greek: ???, Dubai Mall—decent souvlaki
Sun: International Buffet: Hilton Resort RAK—good selection.
Mon: Seafood Buffet: Hilton Resort RAK—could have done with wider sushi selection.
Tue: Indian as before—tikka so good the boys and I had it again.
Tue: Thai: ???, Dubai Mall—light, mildly spicy and very tasty.
Wed: Italian-themed buffet at Ginger, Park Rotana—good selection, with some great meat dishes (saltimbocca was outstanding).
Thu: Korean: Hankook—the family really liked it, but I thought the meat was disappointing, they should have charged more for better quality. Need to take your own beer (discreetly), I like Korean food (sorry Lil'Jimmy) but its miles better with loads of beer.
Fri: Japanese: Samurai take-away—excellent as ever.

And I actually lost some weight by stating away from starchy carbs
Sounds good. Was the Sumo the one that is at Masdar City? We've only had take away from there and can't complain, what's weird about the setting?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:26 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Sounds good. Was the Sumo the one that is at Masdar City? We've only had take away from there and can't complain, what's weird about the setting?
Yeah, Masdar City (when I collected my daughter from the airport and answered her question about where we were eating, she said "Why have you started pronouncing Mazda differently?").

The food there was, we thought, really good--wide selection of sushi/sashimi, unagi was authentic (although needed a bit more sauce), and reasonably priced.

Weird setting--have you been to Masdar City? Its not unpleasant, sitting at a street-side cafe in the middle of a futuristic housing estate, but seeing as I used to work for Basildon Development Corporation I'm scarred by the memories...
Old May 1st 2011, 7:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

No GBK. You have sinned Bahtaboy.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:39 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
No GBK. You have sinned Bahtaboy.
???? Greek Burger King?
Old May 1st 2011, 7:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

???? Greek Burger King?
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Old May 1st 2011, 7:56 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Gourmet Burger Kitchen
Ah. Where?
Old May 1st 2011, 8:09 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Fri: Vietnamese: The Lemon Tree—fresh, tasty, light and cheap.<snip>

I adore Vietnamese food and the only place in Dubai that does it is Hoi An at the Shangri La which is high end pricey. Nowhere here does pho. Does The Lemon Tree do more 'street' type foods? Where is it please?
Old May 1st 2011, 8:26 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow
I adore Vietnamese food and the only place in Dubai that does it is Hoi An at the Shangri La which is high end pricey. Nowhere here does pho. Does The Lemon Tree do more 'street' type foods? Where is it please?
Sorry Meow, I got the names mixed up: it was Hanoi, on Khalifa street more-or-less opposite NBAD. The fare is quite simple, so I guess that counts as street-type. Not sure what pho is, but the link below says they do it.

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/resta...ews/4752-hanoi
Old May 1st 2011, 8:31 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Meow, I got the names mixed up: it was Hanoi, on Khalifa street more-or-less opposite NBAD. The fare is quite simple, so I guess that counts as street-type. Not sure what pho is, but the link below says they do it.

http://www.timeoutabudhabi.com/resta...ews/4752-hanoi
Fab, thanks! That's me sorted next time I'm in AD

FYI - pho is a classic Vietnamese noodle soup.
Old May 1st 2011, 8:50 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Meow
Fab, thanks! That's me sorted next time I'm in AD

FYI - pho is a classic Vietnamese noodle soup.
Old May 1st 2011, 7:01 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I will never eat Korean again.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Masdar City (when I collected my daughter from the airport and answered her question about where we were eating, she said "Why have you started pronouncing Mazda differently?").

The food there was, we thought, really good--wide selection of sushi/sashimi, unagi was authentic (although needed a bit more sauce), and reasonably priced.

Weird setting--have you been to Masdar City? Its not unpleasant, sitting at a street-side cafe in the middle of a futuristic housing estate, but seeing as I used to work for Basildon Development Corporation I'm scarred by the memories...
I went there today...the pod transporters are great but weren't working on the way back. My first Sumo experience. Yes it's very good isn't it . Where are the other Sumos for reference?

Other recent eating experiences - Cali Pizza Kitchen, Dubai Mall ; Hawksbill @ Saadiyat Beach Meat Co, Qaryat Al Beri
Old May 3rd 2011, 5:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Brains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond reputeBrains1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't been yet, although drive past it every morning. Saw a program on National Geographic about the construction of the city which was relatively interesting, always meant to pop over and have a look around.

Might go to Sumo this weekend, if we don't just laze about at home and order it in instead. I presume it isn't licensed?
Old May 3rd 2011, 9:17 am
Hit 16's

Originally Posted by Brains1983
Haven't been yet, although drive past it every morning. Saw a program on National Geographic about the construction of the city which was relatively interesting, always meant to pop over and have a look around.

Might go to Sumo this weekend, if we don't just laze about at home and order it in instead. I presume it isn't licensed?
I didn't see much of it other than the bits between the car park and Sumo (which includes the pod-cars)--presumably there's more to see. (We were hungry and tired.)

I'd definitely recommend Sumo if you live your fish raw, but yes, sadly, its unlicenced.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.