British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   80's Music (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/80s-music-614707/)

Spugsy Jun 15th 2009 5:36 am

Re: 80's Music

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7663935)
How's about some:

Simple Minds - Someone, Somewhere in Summertime
Talk Talk- It's My Life
OMD - Enola Gay
A-Ha - Take On Me
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Lost Weekend
U2 - With or Without You
Varicose Bingo - Suicide Duck

terrible choices, almost every one....

Where's adam and the ants then??

Spugsy Jun 15th 2009 5:36 am

Originally Posted by Dubaidog (Post 7664066)
More classic 80's but on the lighter electro side:

Tainted love - Soft Cell
Fade to Grey - Visage
Being Boiled - The Human League
Smalltown boy - Bronski beat
The Race - Yellow
Just can't get enough - Depeche mode
Pale Shelter - Tears for Fears
Temptation - New Order
Only you - Yazoo
Wonderful life - Black (I think the chorus is currently the backing track to a Emirates/Dubai Inc. ad)

I was listening to depeche mode a few days ago, you forget over the years, just how bloody good they were.

littlejimmy Jun 15th 2009 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7665458)
terrible choices, almost every one....

Where's adam and the ants then??

Hadaway and shite, bonny lad. If your taste in music is like your taste in football teams and all that... ;)

Actually, I'll change A-ha Take On Me to a better song from the album - Blue Skies.

lionheart Jun 15th 2009 6:07 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7663935)
How's about some:

Simple Minds - Someone, Somewhere in Summertime
Talk Talk- It's My Life
OMD - Enola Gay
A-Ha - Take On Me
Lloyd Cole and the Commotions - Lost Weekend
U2 - With or Without You
Varicose Bingo - Suicide Duck

Enola Gay by OMD was one of my favourites. Would Vienna by Ultravox have been made in the 80's too? My favourite bands back then were probably The Cure, U2 and Echo & the Bunneymen, the latter appearing at this year's Glastonbury Festival along with some old geezers by the name of Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

littlejimmy Jun 15th 2009 6:13 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7665503)
Enola Gay by OMD was one of my favourites. Would Vienna by Ultravox have been made in the 80's too? My favourite bands back then were probably The Cure, U2 and Echo & the Bunneymen, the latter appearing at this year's Glastonbury Festival along with some old geezers by the name of Neil Young and Bruce Springsteen.

There's much more in Ultravox's canon bseides Vienna. Great band, though. I don't get why people have such a downer on the '80s and the music that came out of the decade. I might be biased cos I grew up then, but I think it was a great decade. What really new stuff has appeared since then? It's all been derivative and recycled since, IMO.

Spugsy Jun 15th 2009 6:26 am

Originally Posted by littlejimmy (Post 7665512)
There's much more in Ultravox's canon bseides Vienna. Great band, though. I don't get why people have such a downer on the '80s and the music that came out of the decade. I might be biased cos I grew up then, but I think it was a great decade. What really new stuff has appeared since then? It's all been derivative and recycled since, IMO.

I love all the 80s stuff, absolutely love it.

littlejimmy Jun 15th 2009 6:31 am

don't make them like this any more.