80's Music

Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:01 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 80's Music

Last night we watched the Top Fifty Singles from the 80's on TV Channel VH1. Although many were OK some of the high flyers were puzzling;

No.1 - Bad - Michael Jackson
No.2- Get Into The Groove - Madonna
No.3 - Paradise City - Guns & Roses
No.4 - When Doves Cry - Prince

The list included the following too;
I'm Your Man - Wham
Wild Boys - Duran Duran
Radio Gaga - Queen
China Girl - David Bowie

It seems to me that they have selected one from each of the Big Stars but not necessarily the best ones IMHO...

Last edited by lionheart; Jun 14th 2009 at 8:08 am.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:42 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 80's Music

What would you have picked then?

Taste is subjective, so you can never really have a definitive list that everyone will agree on. That said those are certainly not the best Queen, Duran Duran, Madonna or Wham songs and I cannot bear to hear any Michael Jackson tracks these days.

-
Old Jun 14th 2009, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lionheart
Last night we watched the Top Fifty Singles from the 80's on TV Channel VH1. Although many were OK some of the high flyers were puzzling;

No.1 - Bad - Michael Jackson
No.2- Get Into The Groove - Madonna
No.3 - Paradise City - Guns & Roses
No.4 - When Doves Cry - Prince

The list included the following too;
I'm Your Man - Wham
Wild Boys - Duran Duran
Radio Gaga - Queen
China Girl - David Bowie

It seems to me that they have selected one from each of the Big Stars but not necessarily the best ones IMHO...
Got to admit When Doves Cry is one of Prince's I remember best, as it was always being played full blast on Morecambe Pier when we had one (RIP!).

Material Girl would be my Madonna choice.

Radio Gaga was quite a big Queen hit and does bring back primary school memories.

Bad, however, wouldn't have made the list. Would be thinking more Billy Jean or Beat It.

Duran Duran would have to be Rio.

Guns n Roses - Sweet Child O Mine.

David Bowie - loads to choose from but probably Let's Dance.

Wham - wasn't really into them but think it was something like Club Tropicana which reminds me of the fairground.

Sorry went off on one there, what would your choices be?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:08 am
Account Closed

My personal choices would have been;
Michael Jackson - Billy Jean or Thriller
Madonna - Vogue or Papa Don't Preach
Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody or Killer Queen or We Are The Champions or...
Wham/George Michael - Club Tropicana or Careless Whisper
Duran Duran - Rio or Save A Prayer
Prince - Purple Rain
At least they played some really nice tracks, like:
U2's In The Name of Love
Every Breath You Take by the Police
There Must Be An Angel by the Eurythmics
Lady In Red by Chris De Burgh
Money For Nothing by Dire Straits
hence the reason for sitting through the entire show. The ending rather spoiled it for me, that's all.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

One band that were and still are 80's Icons appear to be missing, Messrs Marr & Morrissey !
Old Jun 14th 2009, 11:55 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Prince - Purple Rain
U2's In The Name of Love
hence the reason for sitting through the entire show. The ending rather spoiled it for me, that's all.
Lady in ****ing red??
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Dexy's Midnight Runners - Geno
The Specials - Too Much Too Young
The Beat - Stand Down Margaret
Billy Bragg - Between The Wars
New Order - Blue Monday
The Smiths - This Charming Man
A Guy Called Gerald - Voodoo Ray
Stone Roses - I Am The Resurrection
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Prince - Purple Rain
U2's In The Name of Love
you corned beef ?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:14 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sandboy
New Order - Blue Monday
Dexy's was in the show along with Madness but no Specials, Beat or Smiths. Joy Division and New Order should have definitely been there. As for Spugsy, you can keep your type of music and stick it firmly up your ass.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:20 pm
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy
New Order - Blue Monday
I can't argue with a single one, in particular the Dexy's track.
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Spugsy
I can't argue with a single one, in particular the Dexy's track.

they played here a few years back at the creek golf club, fantastic, heaven knows where dirge like Come On Eileen came from

downloaded Sounds Of The 80's the other day and made the kids watch them and appreciate it instead of the shite they listen to
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:55 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Prince - Purple Rain
U2's In The Name of Love
errr, i think you'll find that Bohemian Rhapsody was in fact 1975!!

Did you slip into a coma from 1975 until 1992 by any chance, when it was re-released after the success of Wayne's World ?
Old Jun 14th 2009, 12:57 pm
Hammer for Life

BangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond reputeBangleMan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Karlos The Jackal
One band that were and still are 80's Icons appear to be missing, Messrs Marr & Morrissey !
thank christ for that !!

No-one, apart from druggy Northerners liked 'em !
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Morecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to beholdMorecambe Mindy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BangleMan
thank christ for that !!

By eck less of the druggy please!
Old Jun 14th 2009, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond reputeKarlos The Jackal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BangleMan
thank christ for that !!

The most influencial band of the eighties BM!

And I was never into drugs!

Without bands like The Smiths, Joy Division, New Order, Stone Roses the eighties scene would have been dire!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.