Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

64,000 on sickness benefit 'fit to work'

64,000 on sickness benefit 'fit to work'

Old Jul 27th 2011, 4:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default 64,000 on sickness benefit 'fit to work'

UP TO 64,000 Scots could be forced off benefits after more than 40 per cent of those claiming incapacity benefit were found to be fit for work.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...fit.6808226.jp

Now there is a surprise...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 5:13 am
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 64,000 on sickness benefit 'fit to work'

Bigger surprise...

The government accepts that its drive to retest sickness benefits claimants has been a "flawed" process, a critical report by MPs into welfare reform concludes on Tuesday.

The introduction of new medical assessments to decide whether claimants are eligible for sickness benefits has prompted "fear and anxiety among vulnerable people", the committee of MPs concludes, partly because the tests have resulted in large numbers of seriously unwell claimants being refused support.

The report states: "It is widely accepted that the Work Capability Assessment [WCA], as introduced in 2008, was flawed. This has been borne out by the high number of appeals and the high success rate of appellants. It was also reflected in the amount of evidence from individuals which expressed grievances with the way they were treated during the process and the accuracy of the outcome." The MPs estimate the cost to the taxpayer of these appeals at around £50m a year.

The employment minister, Chris Grayling, has accepted that the WCA was initially "flawed" but stressed that significant changes have been introduced. The government acknowledges that "further refinements to the test" are still needed, says the report.

Government officials have failed to highlight the positive goals of helping more people back into work, the report adds, allowing the retesting process to be cast by parts of the media as a mission to weed out the "workshy", "scroungers" and "benefit cheats".
That's from the Guardian but the report itself is here. I'd particularly recommend paragraph 36 on.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 8:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Please just keep giving them benefits (paid for from Scotlands taxes please). Otherwise there may be a migration south of the border with all the downsides that will bring such as:
1. In every pub there will be a sh*tfaced jock gobbing off causing mayhem
2. Pubs will start selling Bucky to appease 1 above
3. Scottish history will be recalled by every member of item 1 in its entirity of rewritten-nonsense so Culloden will be erased and the British empire was really the Scottish empire etc etc
4. You will have to tread over 1 above on leaving the pub after he has collapsed and pished himself in the door way still mumbling flower of Scotland etc
5. No.1 above will be fired from whatever employement he finds and will then spend all his English dole money in pub as in 2 above.
6. No1 above may find some retard trailer trash alcholic and breed with it thus perpetuating the degenerate gene pool

So please just give them their cash to buy their bucky North of the border and lets accept that they are a nation with a high concentration of lazy pish heads who deserve and are welcome to their independence and their tartan covered tins of shortbread at motorway service stations. I think they have the same gene deficiency as Abo's when it comes to handling booze but I have not finished my CSE on genetics yet so I may be wrong.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:43 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Shall I set out the deckchairs now and get the popcorn going? I want a ringside seat for this one.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 9:48 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Please just keep giving them benefits (paid for from Scotlands taxes please). Otherwise there may be a migration south of the border with all the downsides that will bring such as:
3. Scottish history will be recalled by every member of item 1 in its entirity of rewritten-nonsense so Culloden will be erased and the British empire was really the Scottish empire etc etc
4. You will have to tread over 1 above on leaving the pub after he has collapsed and pished himself in the door way still mumbling flower of Scotland etc
5. No.1 above will be fired from whatever employement he finds and will then spend all his English dole money in pub as in 2 above.
6. No1 above may find some retard trailer trash alcholic and breed with it thus perpetuating the degenerate gene pool

So please just give them their cash to buy their bucky North of the border and lets accept that they are a nation with a high concentration of lazy pish heads who deserve and are welcome to their independence and their tartan covered tins of shortbread at motorway service stations. I think they have the same gene deficiency as Abo's when it comes to handling booze but I have not finished my CSE on genetics yet so I may be wrong.
don't hold back man! i'm sure there is more where that came from...
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:10 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

No bites by our Caledonian contingent, I see...

Anyway, guess which paper ran the story about "93% of Incapacity Claimants Fit To Work" on its front page today....
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:13 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

well, to be honest, what with the wonder of the Intarwebz, there really is very little excuse for not being able to do some kind of work. The training schemes are out there (often for free) to get people up to speed in IT, Maths, Literacy etc and gone are the days where you have to "put your back into it".

BUT it would mean a mental gear shift, opening up to a change of career and less of the woe is me/ victim of circumstance attitude. Still, having no money coming in is a hard incentive, but incentive it is.

Plus, of course, workplaces have to take disability into account under H&S and make the environment as comfortable and accessible as possible.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

You can't argue with the truth but I thought a Scotsman might have given it a go all the same.
Old Jul 27th 2011, 7:56 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh

The article states that 43 per cent of the Scots employment and support allowance (ESA) claimants were capable of working, which compares with 39 per cent for the rest of the UK…not so much of a difference despite Glasgow having six out of the 10 worst health areas in the UK. So, your rant could apply equally to those questionable ESA claimants south of the border, methinks.

While doing your CSE in genetics, check out to see if you have an over abundance of ethnophobic genes.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 3:49 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

My mum is on incapacity benefits. She hates it. She'd rather be out working, but she needs them because she suffers from severe colitis, and has done for the past 11 years.

However, it wasn't until a year ago or so that she really started showing outward symptoms (aside from the colostomy bag and catheter she's had for around 5-6 years now I think). In the last 12-18 months, she's gone blind in her right eye, and is likely to go blind in her left eye in the next 3-5 years.

Until then, there was a risk she'd have been taken off the benefit. (Despite the fact that it's not really fair on her if one of the bags splits and makes a mess because it does stink and it's incredibly embarrassing for her – not to mention painful).

Had she lived in Scotland and the blindness not presented itself, it sounds like she would have been one of those who lost the benefits, so don't be too quick to assume that everyone who's lost them deserved to. I imagine a lot did, but there will have been some collateral damage here.

And just for some further clarity about where I stand over benefits, I'm all for them, but... if you take job seekers and unemployment benefit for example.

If after six months on JSA, you still haven't found a job (or have deliberatley scuppered your chances of getting one, or got yourself fired in the first 18 months), then you end up in the employ of the government doing community service.

Imagine, 'promote' the guys who are currently cleaners in local government to trainers and supervisors (on the same wages and benefits they are now), and with the JSA'rs, give them a brush, designate them a street (or streets), give them a high vis vest/jacket that has the big letters JSA on the back, and tell them to sweep for 8 hours a day.

If you refuse, you lose all benefits (including NHS etc).

I'm all for benefits, but they are a safety net, and that's all they should be. If you think you're going to live on them, you should be made to do community service as the 'job' the government is paying you to do.

You'll soon see people scupper for those top jobs cleaning toilets in the nice indoors without those chaingain-style jackets on.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:43 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
UP TO 64,000 Scots could be forced off benefits after more than 40 per cent of those claiming incapacity benefit were found to be fit for work.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/news...fit.6808226.jp

Now there is a surprise...
I wonder why the money the government wastes on giving benefits, including the ineffective administration of the system wouldn't be better put to use creating and subsiding jobs for these people instead of paying them to sit at home?

N.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 5:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
I wonder why the money the government wastes on giving benefits, including the ineffective administration of the system wouldn't be better put to use creating and subsiding jobs for these people instead of paying them to sit at home?

N.
Oh, Norm - I found myself agreeing you for a minute... then, I got to the second bit. No government should subsidize jobs - this creates inefficient organisations - it is better to have people out of the system than in it causing damage.

The road you are proposing is the one to unions and the death of industry - a far worse situation.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 6:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Oh, Norm - I found myself agreeing you for a minute... then, I got to the second bit. No government should subsidize jobs - this creates inefficient organisations - it is better to have people out of the system than in it causing damage.

The road you are proposing is the one to unions and the death of industry - a far worse situation.
I did the same, and agree completely.

I think Job Seekers past x weeks should be made to fill in as Auzdafluff said. Get them cleaning streets / emptying bins / doing shit jobs and only give them their job seekers.

They'll either;

A - Find an actualy job and stop costing money
B - Be hung, drawn and quartered by order of Prime Minister Scamp.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 7:41 am
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey, Millhouse getting political on us...whatever next?

The reason the government keep so many people unemployed ("a price worth paying", as a previous Tory PM once said), is to keep wage inflation down.
Old Jul 28th 2011, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Blimey, Millhouse getting political on us...whatever next?
Dammit - I reveled my hand.

But yes, I support Thatcher's and Adam Smith's economics.

Last edited by Millhouse; Jul 28th 2011 at 8:35 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.