6 Nations

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 6 Nations

I've been trawling through the internet trying to find any mention of whether it will be on TV here or not and unsurprisingly have found nothing of any relevance.

There's always the iplayer but when I use it through my vpn, the already slow internet connection slows to nothing much better than dial-up and I'm left with a constantly buffering stream. Not great for watching rugby.

I really hope they have made a mistake and they do show it on Showtime.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Brendan Gallagher of the Daily Torygraph put it as well as anyone - after NZ were knocked out in 07..........
Unfortunately, it would be quite difficult to attach a tow rope and drag NZ itself across the ocean and plant it somewhere near UK so the AB's can play regularly in front of 80,000drunk fans.

the AB's are a NZ team. You are who you are.
The AB's could spend their time playing more in UK sure....and yeah they might win a world cup....but no one in NZ would give a sh.it because over time they would no longer be our team as the average Joe in NZ could never go and watch them play....so we'd be no better off....at least the way it is now we get to watch glorious winning rugby a lot more often than england does.

The AB's are from NZ and it makes sense that more often that not they play tournaments and teams in that part of the world.

Ok...'maybe' it's their archilles heal (although I think an AB playing at home has tougher critics than any).......but in sport you have to rock up with what you've got and find a way to win. The AB's do this 80% of the time and more so than any other rugby team on the planet.

Do you really think the AB's should abandon their country and fans for the single pursuit of winning the wold cup? Should these strangers then expect a parade down central Auckland if they win?
It would be turning our national sport into nothing more than a business.

Regarding the taking of stock from the islands.....they live and reside in NZ, they do so by choice and lets face it....every team in the world these days has foreigners in it. It's hardly a matter for argument.

Last edited by Jeeper; Feb 3rd 2010 at 4:10 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway - my original point was that 6 nations is boring.
Response has so far been the AB's always lose the world cup.

However, northern hemisphere rugby has won the world cup once...southern hemisphere rugby has it 5 times
Don't tell me northern hemisphere rugby is better.

Granted, 6 nations is interesting for people from those parts....much like Taihape vs Wainuiamata is interesting for people from those parts....or Japan vs China.

Last edited by Jeeper; Feb 3rd 2010 at 4:43 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:57 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jeeper
Any match between England and Wales is rarely boring.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm at it again....

If we really want to rant that NZ is weak because they don't know how to play under pressure ugly rugby to win world cups...and that 6 nations breeds that sort of rugby...

NZ losses

'87 undefeated
'91 undefeated in pools then losing to Australia in semi's
'95 undefeated in pools then losing South Africa in Final
'99 undefeated in pools then losing to France in quarters
'03 undefeated in pools then losing to Australia in Semi's
'07 undefeated in pools then losing to France in Quarters

So in all RWC games while progressing to the final we've only lost twice to a northern hemisphere team - both times it was France.

We actually struggle more against Aus and South Africa both in and out of world cups....so the argument that the AB's need to play more northern hemisphere rugby is rubbish.

When has a British team beaten NZ in the run to a Rugby World Cup....oh....NEVER!

Last edited by Jeeper; Feb 3rd 2010 at 5:11 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lionheart
Any match between England and Wales is rarely boring.
As I said (and for which you deleted from my original quote) yeah - it's interesting for people from those parts....that's it.
And that's only due the pride, not the spectacle.

...and Wales rugby is a shame. They should be much better more often than they are.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

According to EW - Showtime's contract expired 2009 and has not been renewed. 6 nations will be shown on TV5 Monde... don't even know if I have this channel... think it's a French channel... so as well as watching the rugby I can improve my language skills... marvellous.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

matt-e will become famous soon enoughmatt-e will become famous soon enough

It doesn't appear to be on any middle east channels which is annoying.

If you have a fast UK VPN connection 2MB or more you will be able to watch it live and in quite good quality at http://tvcatchup.com/

Otherwise find yourself a pub with SuperSports. I know Fibber Magee's has it. any others?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, it would be quite difficult to attach a tow rope and drag NZ itself across the ocean and plant it somewhere near UK so the AB's can play regularly in front of 80,000drunk fans.

the AB's are a NZ team. You are who you are.
The AB's could spend their time playing more in UK sure....and yeah they might win a world cup....but no one in NZ would give a sh.it because over time they would no longer be our team as the average Joe in NZ could never go and watch them play....so we'd be no better off....at least the way it is now we get to watch glorious winning rugby a lot more often than england does.

The AB's are from NZ and it makes sense that more often that not they play tournaments and teams in that part of the world.

Ok...'maybe' it's their archilles heal (although I think an AB playing at home has tougher critics than any).......but in sport you have to rock up with what you've got and find a way to win. The AB's do this 80% of the time and more so than any other rugby team on the planet.

Do you really think the AB's should abandon their country and fans for the single pursuit of winning the wold cup? Should these strangers then expect a parade down central Auckland if they win?
It would be turning our national sport into nothing more than a business.

Regarding the taking of stock from the islands.....they live and reside in NZ, they do so by choice and lets face it....every team in the world these days has foreigners in it. It's hardly a matter for argument.
The article isn't suggesting they should abandon their country, or even their hemisphere - it's suggesting they should abandon their arrogance which gives everyone else the impression that they have the right to win the RWC, and when they don't it's boo-hoo unfair.

The last line is the key - if they start taking the rest of the world seriously, they might actually win the damn thing. The rest actually prepare for the RWC - mainly in case (wait for it) they have to play NZ.

By the way, until England beat them in France at the 2007 RWC, Australia had NEVER lost a RWC match in the NH.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 8:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
I have checked the on-line schedule too and nothing is mentioned. Also, no adverts are being shown. Previously they always plugged their TV coverage so I regret you may be mistaken, Dean. Please prove me wrong.
They've been advertising it (although admittedly not recently), and when they merged with Orbit it was featured in the commercials they used to persuade Orbit subscribers to cough up the extra for the combined package.

If I am wrong, I know for certain that Supersport (the South African jobby) are showing it live, and many bars have that.

Will keep searching............
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

However, northern hemisphere rugby has won the world cup once...southern hemisphere rugby has it 5 times
Don't tell me northern hemisphere rugby is better.

Granted, 6 nations is interesting for people from those parts....much like Taihape vs Wainuiamata is interesting for people from those parts....or Japan vs China.
The 6N has a passionate following among South African friends of mine, and many Australians too.

I accept that, year in, year out, you'll get more skillful rugby in the SH, but the passion and atmosphere makes the 6N far more than just a rugby tournament. The South Africans always comment on it. Supersport shows it live there with good reason.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:06 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
According to EW - Showtime's contract expired 2009 and has not been renewed. 6 nations will be shown on TV5 Monde... don't even know if I have this channel... think it's a French channel... so as well as watching the rugby I can improve my language skills... marvellous.
That is useful, thanks. I used to watch the Grand Prix on the German channels.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

The article isn't suggesting they should abandon their country, or even their hemisphere - it's suggesting they should abandon their arrogance which gives everyone else the impression that they have the right to win the RWC, and when they don't it's boo-hoo unfair. I THINK YOU'LL FIND THAT'S PROBABLY THE FANS AND NZ PRESS TBH.

The last line is the key - if they start taking the rest of the world seriously, they might actually win the damn thing. The rest actually prepare for the RWC - mainly in case (wait for it) they have to play NZ.

By the way, until England beat them in France at the 2007 RWC, Australia had NEVER lost a RWC match in the NH.
Are you suggesting the AB's don't prepare? Or waltz in there all cocky?
They know with each passing tournament there is double the pressure the next time. The longer this goes on the more they become like england football.
Much has been made of the fact their preparations were all wrong...but at least they prepared as they thought best at the time...and quite extensively.

Last edited by Jeeper; Feb 3rd 2010 at 9:51 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

The 6N has a passionate following among South African friends of mine, and many Australians too.

I accept that, year in, year out, you'll get more skillful rugby in the SH, but the passion and atmosphere makes the 6N far more than just a rugby tournament. The South Africans always comment on it. Supersport shows it live there with good reason.
I agree that it's more than a rugby tournament - and understand the passion involved....I'm just saying it's boring because as a Rugby fan with no vested interest in any of the teams, the rugby itself is as boring as all he.ll

Did you watch the last NZ v France game? That was a bloody great game, and not just 'cause we won.....it was bloody brilliant to watch.
If England and Wales played like that I would tune in for sure.
Dropgoals and penalties...ho hum.

Last edited by Jeeper; Feb 3rd 2010 at 9:49 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 10:05 am
Account Closed

I agree that it's more than a rugby tournament - and understand the passion involved....I'm just saying it's boring because as a Rugby fan with no vested interest in any of the teams, the rugby itself is as boring as all he.ll

Did you watch the last NZ v France game? That was a bloody great game, and not just 'cause we won.....it was bloody brilliant to watch.
If England and Wales played like that I would tune in for sure.
Dropgoals and penalties...ho hum.
But your goal kicker Carter scores more penalties and drop goals than anybody else, so where is the logic?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.