Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

6 degrees of seperation

6 degrees of seperation

Old Oct 26th 2010, 2:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default 6 degrees of seperation

Just had a new friend in Dubai add me on facebook and was surprised that we already have 7 friends in common all from different industries that back home really wouldn't know each other. So in the normal world we have the 6 degrees of seperation- what do you think it is out here?

If anyone is not sure about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_degrees_of_separation

I know Hugh Jackman through 2 people, Ryan Reynalds through 4 and Johnny Depp through 1, yet still I'm not married to any or all of them
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:34 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 6 degrees of seperation

Do you honestly regard so-called Facebook "friends" as constituting genuine friendship? Most people on there seem to have several hundred "friends", almost all of whom they have never met. It's just a virtual world rather than reality.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 4:50 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Do you honestly regard so-called Facebook "friends" as constituting genuine friendship? Most people on there seem to have several hundred "friends", almost all of whom they have never met. It's just a virtual world rather than reality.
Translation: no one want to be my friend on Facebook and I am jealous of popular people

Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:03 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

I consider all of them friends - they are people I went to school with, family members back home, people I used to work with whom I have chosen to stay in contact with and a few randoms that I have picked up along the way - bar, salon, gym friensd - no one is a casual acquaintance - I envy Kittycat1 though - I am not connected to anyone by degrees of separation. I can only claim George Galloway as a friend, having met him in London a couple of years ago (he's the Respect Party dude).
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not on facebook. Does that mean I have no friends?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:06 am
Expat Brat

K8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura aboutK8-notlate has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
No, you have friends here - we just can't see your face
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:13 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
Translation: no one want to be my friend on Facebook and I am jealous of popular people
I am selective concerning whom I accept as "friends" on Facebook. Only two BE Forum members are in my circle, for example. The point I am trying to make is that, once you become "friends" on Facebook, you are immediately invited to become "friends" with dozens of people they "know", hence some Facebook addicts (usually females) having over 1,500 "friends" from all corners of the world. No way do they know each other on a normal friendship level.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:17 am
Expat Brat

I am selective concerning whom I accept as "friends" on Facebook. Only two BE Forum members are in my circle, for example. The point I am trying to make is that, once you become "friends" on Facebook, you are immediately invited to become "friends" with dozens of people they "know", hence some Facebook addicts (usually females) having over 1,500 "friends" from all corners of the world. No way do they know each other on a normal friendship level.
Agree - but to be honest (and I know a woman like this), after a few months, she had an FB cull of all the people she didn't really know - she realised how intrusive it was to have all these random people on there seeing what she was up to - she go it down to 80 friends - from more than 900. It's the excitement of thinking you know all these people, but really you might only have met them once. Quite sad actually - it's like collecting things but not knowing what to do with them.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use facebook as a networking tool, which in my line of work is really handy, and also to stay in touch with my friends and family, I don't really understand the whole add as many random people as possible thing though.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:16 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
Who are you?
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:53 am
Banned

i-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nicei-like-tea is just really nice

i have an account in facebook but i have not used it.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 10:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by i-like-tea
i have an account in facebook but i have not used it.
that's worse than not having an account!
Old Oct 27th 2010, 2:06 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see what you are moaning about. You do not have to accept anyone as a friend and what others do doesn't affect you. You simply use FB as it suits you.
Old Oct 28th 2010, 9:56 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I love FB, it can be a good fun. I have 34 outstanding friends requests, none of whom I have the faintest idea who they are!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:12 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I love FB, it can be a good fun. I have 34 outstanding friends requests, none of whom I have the faintest idea who they are!
Yeah, I know but it's not my fault I keep pressing the resend button!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.