British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   It was 50 years ago today........ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/50-years-ago-today-805380/)

The Dean Aug 8th 2013 4:19 am

It was 50 years ago today........

............. the Great Train Robbery.

One of those once-in-a-lifetime events that divided opinion - they were 'evil vicious bastards' for what they did to Jack Mills, but it was a 'brilliant plan' for getting away with what was a fortune back then. Mills's injuries were far worse than were widely reported at the time (the detective dad of one of my friends worked extensively on the case), and there was always speculation that his death in 1970 was linked to his injuries.

Anyway, most of you know the story.............

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...n-Robbery.html

Kix Aug 8th 2013 5:47 am

Re: It was 50 years ago today........

And? Should we celebrate a criminal act or even remember it?

Disappointed with you Mr. Dean.

The Dean Aug 8th 2013 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10840587)

:blink: Strange comment - I didn't suggest we should 'celebrate' it - I am old enough to remember the uproar it caused (my parents and their close friends talked about nothing else for weeks, it seemed), and how opinion was divided in precisely the way I described - admiration and condemnation in almost equal measure.

And we remember "bad things" whether we like them or not........ it says at the top of this page that this is a 'Discussion Forum' but participating in it isn't compulsory.

As you were...........

hong_konger Aug 8th 2013 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10840587)

Well we celebrate guy fawkes and that was a criminal act !!

Kix Aug 8th 2013 8:30 am

Indeed, anyway Eid Mubarrack and all that bollocks. I'm off to jockeys.

commander Aug 8th 2013 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10840761)
Indeed, anyway Eid Mubarrack and all that bollocks. I'm off to jockeys.

A fine establishment. The gas cookers will have had a month to deep clean and will be ready for action.

commander Aug 8th 2013 9:34 am

Originally Posted by hong_konger (Post 10840757)

We celebrate him being burned. In the same way I guess we should have an annual Hitler suicide day.

I'm with dean on this, he never said he agreed with the robbers. They were thugs and ruined many people's lives.

Millhouse Aug 8th 2013 11:21 am

I enjoyed Buster though.

Kix Aug 9th 2013 9:37 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10840811)
A fine establishment. The gas cookers will have had a month to deep clean and will be ready for action.

Indeed. What amuses me is that the 'Stahns and ex Russian states girls go home for Ramadan like good Muslims.

seven seas Aug 9th 2013 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10842247)
Indeed. What amuses me is that the 'Stahns and ex Russian states girls go home for Ramadan like good Muslims.

Great how the girls other from other countries stay because their prospective husbands don't take a four-week break.

Norm_uk Aug 12th 2013 5:05 am

Originally Posted by hong_konger (Post 10840757)

We celebrate his capture, torture and death...not the man or what he was trying to do.

Well aside from those twats who wear Guy Fawkes masks who think they are standing for freedom and truth when in fact Guy Fawkes stood for foreign theocracy and political change by blowing people up.

N.

Norm_uk Aug 12th 2013 5:10 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 10840814)
We celebrate him being burned. In the same way I guess we should have an annual Hitler suicide day.

I'm with dean on this, he never said he agreed with the robbers. They were thugs and ruined many people's lives.

I'm up for a Hitler suicide day...Burning an Adolf effigy in a ditch in the back garden is my kind of party. ;)

N.

Irishbeekeeper Aug 12th 2013 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10846124)
I'm up for a Hitler suicide day...Burning an Adolf effigy in a ditch in the back garden is my kind of party. ;)

N.

I would DEFINITELY go to that party.....if invited :rofl::rofl:

btw how is McGettigans in Jaffiliya? I passed it a few times on the metro and have been meaning to go there

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:16 pm

McGettigan's is good, food is superb especially the fish n chips :)