Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The 50 Worst Interview Mistakes

The 50 Worst Interview Mistakes

Old Apr 5th 2010, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default The 50 Worst Interview Mistakes

According to a local (not UK-based) business website, they are as follows:

(not a bad list but I reckon there are worse mistakes than some of these)

1. Arriving late.

2. Arriving too early.

3. Lighting up a cigarette, or smelling like a cigarette.

4. Bad-mouthing your last boss.

5. Lying about your skills/experience/knowledge.

6. Wearing the wrong (for this workplace!) clothes.

7. Forgetting the name of the person you're interviewing with.

8. Wearing a ton of perfume or aftershave.

9. Wearing sunglasses.

10. Wearing a Bluetooth earpiece.

11. Failing to research the employer in advance.

12. Failing to demonstrate enthusiasm.

13. Inquiring about benefits too soon.

14. Talking about salary requirements too soon.

15. Being unable to explain how your strengths and abilities apply to the job in question.

16. Failing to make a strong case for why you are the best person for this job.

17. Forgetting to bring a copy of your resume and/or portfolio.

18. Failing to remember what you wrote on your own resume.

19. Asking too many questions.

20. Asking no questions at all.

21. Being unprepared to answer the standard questions.

22. Failing to listen carefully to what the interviewer is saying.

23. Talking more than half the time.

24. Interrupting your interviewer.

25. Neglecting to match the communication style of your interviewer.

26. Yawning.

27. Slouching.

28. Bringing along a friend, or your mother.

29. Chewing gum, tobacco, your pen, your hair.

30. Laughing, giggling, whistling, humming, lip-smacking.

31. Saying "you know," "like," "I guess," and "um."

32. Name-dropping or bragging or sounding like a know-it-all.

33. Asking to use the bathroom.

34. Being falsely or exaggeratedly modest.

35. Shaking hands too weakly, or too firmly.

36. Failing to make eye contact (or making continuous eye contact).

37. Taking a seat before your interviewer does.

38. Becoming angry or defensive.

39. Complaining that you were kept waiting.

40. Complaining about anything!

41. Speaking rudely to the receptionist.

42. Letting your nervousness show.

43. Overexplaining why you lost your last job.

44. Being too familiar and jokey.

45. Sounding desperate.

46. Checking the time.

47. Oversharing.

48. Sounding rehearsed.

49. Leaving your cell phone on.

50. Failing to ask for the job.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 50 Worst Interview Mistakes

Number 33..Asking to use the bathroom. So, would shitting your pants be a better option?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:15 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Number 50 proves it's American. Who the hell goes into a job interview and asks, "Can I have the job please? Pretty please....oh, go on!"
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arcadia
Number 33..Asking to use the bathroom. So, would shitting your pants be a better option?
As long as you've made mistake No. 8, nobody would notice.............
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Now we need a list of outrageous questions that interviewers ask:

No. 1: "What are your weaknesses?"
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Arcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond reputeArcadia has a reputation beyond repute

How about this one..And where do you see yourself in five years?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:45 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean

Easy, you say: "I'm a perfectionist."
Old Apr 5th 2010, 2:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Easy, you say: "I'm a perfectionist."
Hmmmmm......... is that before or after you punch the interviewer in the face?
Old Apr 5th 2010, 3:28 pm
Excess Baggage

Hmmmmm......... is that before or after you punch the interviewer in the face?
After. Then punch him again because you didn't connect properly.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:25 pm
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

What are your salary expectations?

I hate that one! It's just a proper trap and if you fling it back in their court, it can easily turn into a comical cat'n'mouse game. "Well, the market rate is between x and y...", "yes, but where do you see yourself positioned?" "Well, it depends to what extent you think I'd be of value to the company..." "Sure, but if you could name a figure..."

Gar! AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! There.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud ofDilmun has much to be proud of

I hated the question: "Do you want/plan children?"

"of course not!My knees are stitched together..."
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:49 pm
Excess Baggage

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
What are your salary expectations?

I hate that one! It's just a proper trap and if you fling it back in their court, it can easily turn into a comical cat'n'mouse game. "Well, the market rate is between x and y...", "yes, but where do you see yourself positioned?" "Well, it depends to what extent you think I'd be of value to the company..." "Sure, but if you could name a figure..."

Gar! AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!! There.
A good answer to that one is, "I'm more interested in this wonderful opportunity than the actual package at the moment."
Old Apr 5th 2010, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

I hate the "whats been your career highlight?' and 'where do you get your inspiration?' very unoriginal and I still don't know how to answer the first one!

However my favourite question to ask is 'Do you know where the nearest starbucks and ciggie shops are?, mines a grande skinny latte and marlboro lights, now off you totter'.

and my job is also one of the very few where asking a woman her bra size and asking whether shes ok to show you her boobs is actually acceptable ( not during the interview mind)!

Last edited by kittycat1; Apr 5th 2010 at 6:09 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 7:35 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

1 is wrong but 2 I don't understand since it is what most people do to ensure being punctual.
Old Apr 5th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

I know somebody that regularly used to ask "who is your idol?". What a tw*t!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.