British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   5 year anniversary (yikes!) - Restaurant advice requested (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/5-year-anniversary-yikes-restaurant-advice-requested-713554/)

norsk Apr 16th 2011 11:55 am

5 year anniversary (yikes!) - Restaurant advice requested

My 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up very soon and since I'm going to be in Dubai I thought I'd ask my fellow members of the bored for some advice. I have even managed to offload the kids so this is a night for just mum and dad. :thumbup:

I would like to take my wife somewhere special, perhaps a place a bit out of the ordinary. Something you wouldn't experience other places than in Dubai. I'm not a huge fan of posh haute cuisine places by the way, but as most people I do enjoy great service and surroundings. Price isn't a big issue, but I would like to avoid a heart attack when the bill arrives...

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your thoughts and help..

kittycat1 Apr 16th 2011 12:03 pm

Re: 5 year anniversary (yikes!) - Restaurant advice requested

Aww congratulations! I'm afraid I can't recommend anywhere but have a fab night wherever you end up :thumbsup:

I do like 360 as a bar venue though.

Meow Apr 16th 2011 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9308625)
My 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up very soon and since I'm going to be in Dubai I thought I'd ask my fellow members of the bored for some advice. I have even managed to offload the kids so this is a night for just mum and dad. :thumbup:

I would like to take my wife somewhere special, perhaps a place a bit out of the ordinary. Something you wouldn't experience other places than in Dubai. I'm not a huge fan of posh haute cuisine places by the way, but as most people I do enjoy great service and surroundings. Price isn't a big issue, but I would like to avoid a heart attack when the bill arrives...

Thank you guys! I really appreciate your thoughts and help..

If it isn't going to be too hot when you are here, I'd suggest a table on the terrace at Rivington Grill. It overlooks the Burj Khalifa and you'll have a great view of the fountains.

Not too pricey, food good and if you tell them it's a special event, they'll look after you even better than usual.

And congrats :)

norsk Apr 16th 2011 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 9308643)
If it isn't going to be too hot when you are here, I'd suggest a table on the terrace at Rivington Grill. It overlooks the Burj Khalifa and you'll have a great view of the fountains.

Not too pricey, food good and if you tell them it's a special event, they'll look after you even better than usual.

And congrats :)

29 April so should be okay (and please don't mention the royal wedding)..

We went to one of the other terrace places around the fountain last time I was there, and I agree it is a great place (especially during sunset). Thanks for the suggestion. :thumbsup:

Madam Medusa Apr 16th 2011 12:18 pm

agree, rivington is fab...there's also mango treee next door if you fancied thai...

maybe do drinks at at.mosphere in the burj khalifa, seeing as you were after something only dubai could offer...you need to book in advance and i think there is a 200 dhs min spend but it's amazing views...the restaurant is heart attack prices (well, it was for me, lol...)...

MM, xx

norsk Apr 16th 2011 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9308659)
agree, rivington is fab...there's also mango treee next door if you fancied thai...

maybe do drinks at at.mosphere in the burj khalifa, seeing as you were after something only dubai could offer...you need to book in advance and i think there is a 200 dhs min spend but it's amazing views...the restaurant is heart attack prices (well, it was for me, lol...)...

MM, xx

Mango Tree..That's the one we went to last time I think (they had a sushi station inside). Great food, very good service and excellent views of the sunset. And bargain prices (everything is relative) from what i can remember.

at.mosphere looks awesome, but I'm not sure. It's not the prices as I can live with them (no heart attack risk), but more the fact that the menu is a bit boring. It's on my back-burner list though. Maybe I'll book for a drink in the lounge like you said...thanks MM.

http://www.atmosphereburjkhalifa.com/

Madam Medusa Apr 16th 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9308701)
Mango Tree..That's the one we went to last time I think (they had a sushi station inside). Great food, very good service and excellent views of the sunset. And bargain prices (everything is relative) from what i can remember.

at.mosphere looks awesome, but I'm not sure. It's not the prices as I can live with them (no heart attack risk), but more the fact that the menu is a bit boring. It's on my back-burner list though. Maybe I'll book for a drink in the lounge like you said...thanks MM.

http://www.atmosphereburjkhalifa.com/

the food is really lovely at at.mosphere and not at all boring, but i'm not convinced it's worth the money (it was 2,000 dhs a head in the end, which is more than reflets cost)...

reflets just won the time out best restaurant award, and is my fave in dubai...the food is totally different from anything else i've had, and i love the ambience, but it might be too much on the "posh haute cuisine" side of life for what you're looking for...maybe check it out...

oh, the new hotels on the palm - one and only and the jumeirah one - are both meant to have fab restaurants too, but haven't tried them yet...

MM, xx

norsk Apr 16th 2011 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Madam Medusa (Post 9308726)
the food is really lovely at at.mosphere and not at all boring, but i'm not convinced it's worth the money (it was 2,000 dhs a head in the end, which is more than reflets cost)...

reflets just won the time out best restaurant award, and is my fave in dubai...the food is totally different from anything else i've had, and i love the ambience, but it might be too much on the "posh haute cuisine" side of life for what you're looking for...maybe check it out...

oh, the new hotels on the palm - one and only and the jumeirah one - are both meant to have fab restaurants too, but haven't tried them yet...

MM, xx

Bloody hell. The food didn't look that expensive on the menu, but I guess once you add in an aperitif and some wine and maybe even champagne it quickly moves into heart attack country :D

Like say Reflets looks like a place I wouldn't enjoy..

So anyone been to the restaurants in these new hotels on the palm?

lullabelle Apr 16th 2011 1:52 pm

brother took his missus to the one and only on the palm last week and was suitably impressed. He's a picky, grumpy bastard and even he had to admit it was really lovely.

He got a little boat over to it from the one and only on the shore. Very nice and romantic.

norsk Apr 16th 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by lullabelle (Post 9308801)
brother took his missus to the one and only on the palm last week and was suitably impressed. He's a picky, grumpy bastard and even he had to admit it was really lovely.

He got a little boat over to it from the one and only on the shore. Very nice and romantic.

thank you. sounds interesting..

i have also been told that i am a grumpy, picky bastard ;)

Autonomy Apr 16th 2011 8:09 pm

Recommed - Rhodes Mezzanine, Nobu, Rivington, Beach Bar & Grill @ One & Only

hnd Apr 16th 2011 8:26 pm

Not sure if this is still possible without staying at the Burj al Arab but it used to be. Maybe an option?

http://www.jumeirah.com/en/hotels-an...jlis-Al-Bahar/

The Dean Apr 17th 2011 2:50 am

If you're into Japanese, the one at the Monarch Hotel (can't remember the name) was utterly superb when I went there - really fresh, lively flavours, with the food obviously prepared by a loving, caring chef, not by a tick-all-the-boxes committee.

AVOID:

Pierchic and Pisces........... both have gone so far downhill that the mountain rescue party have called off the search.............. :huh:

NorthernLad Apr 17th 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 9309527)
If you're into Japanese, the one at the Monarch Hotel (can't remember the name) was utterly superb when I went there - really fresh, lively flavours, with the food obviously prepared by a loving, caring chef, not by a tick-all-the-boxes committee.

AVOID:

Pierchic and Pisces........... both have gone so far downhill that the mountain rescue party have called off the search.............. :huh:

Okku? I would rate it higher than Nobu.

We went to The Beach Bar and Grill at Royal Mirage last week, highly recommended.

The Dean Apr 17th 2011 5:09 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 9309559)
Okku? I would rate it higher than Nobu.

We went to The Beach Bar and Grill at Royal Mirage last week, highly recommended.

Okku - yes, that was it.

Better than Nobu? I'd probably agree, although I haven't been to the latter for a while.