British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   4 > 256 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/4-256-a-734251/)

Bahtatboy Oct 1st 2011 12:43 pm

4 > 256

Or so my bleedin' computer keeps telling me. I'm trying to back up my Outlook .pst file (the file that keeps all your Outlook data, including emails) onto a portable hard drive, which has 256 GB free space. The .pst file is 4GB. Yet when I try to copy I'm told there isn't enough free space. Tried the same onto 2 other hard drives, with the same message (each has more than 100GB free). I've made a copy of the .pst file onto my desktop, but can't copy that onto the portable hard drives. This is my company pc, which is pretty well locked-down: could the system have something which prevents me copying the .pst file?

Happy Saturday! :D

weasel decentral Oct 1st 2011 1:24 pm

Re: 4 > 256

I have no idea but I thought my might just say hello as I am pissed off in work.

if you feel the computer blocks .pst files just rename it (the file extension to .doc) or something and try it then.

carry on.

norsk Oct 1st 2011 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 9651424)
Or so my bleedin' computer keeps telling me. I'm trying to back up my Outlook .pst file (the file that keeps all your Outlook data, including emails) onto a portable hard drive, which has 256 GB free space. The .pst file is 4GB. Yet when I try to copy I'm told there isn't enough free space. Tried the same onto 2 other hard drives, with the same message (each has more than 100GB free). I've made a copy of the .pst file onto my desktop, but can't copy that onto the portable hard drives. This is my company pc, which is pretty well locked-down: could the system have something which prevents me copying the .pst file?

Happy Saturday! :D

Most likely your portable drive is formatted as FAT32 which has a file size limit of ~4GB...

Autonomy Oct 1st 2011 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 9651486)
Most likely your portable drive is formatted as FAT32 which has a file size limit of ~4GB...

exactly.... you may be able to reformat to NTSC but you'll have to wipe the whole drive first etc.

norsk Oct 1st 2011 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9651616)
exactly.... you may be able to reformat to NTSC but you'll have to wipe the whole drive first etc.

I'm sure you meant NTFS...

the easiest thing to do would be to open the pst in outlook, create another pst and move some emails into that one. this will leave you with 2 pst files which is a bit crap but more important they will both be under 4GB and so be supported by your portable drive..

Bahtatboy Oct 1st 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, the drive's 32fat, I'll try splitting the file.

Keep calm and chive on. (err...sorry, wrong website):)