Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

surely it would be a decent investment for a tourist destination to have life guards ? That rip at JBR is very dangerous.

http://www.thenational.ae/news/uae-n...r-dubai-marina
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:22 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

The article headline refers to three drownings but only two are described in the article.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 11:32 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

According to the article in the newspaper there were two Europeans drowned near JBR and an Indian chap near the Burj al Arab.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Madam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond reputeMadam Medusa has a reputation beyond repute

very sad...but it was pretty rough yesterday, you do wonder why people don't realise that...

MM, xx
Old Mar 6th 2011, 2:35 am
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

I saw both of the drownings on JBR.

The sea wasn't the choppiest I've seen it, but from my apartment you could see that there were some nasty rips that stretched across the beach front. They were maybe 20-30m out but the ran pretty much the beach front from the Sofitel to the Hilton from what I could see.

I think the big problem is that Dubai still refuses to accept that it is its responsibility to provide lifeguards on the municipal beaches – not the hotels as they've tried to make the case recently.

From what I could tell, both the of the people yesterday were tourists. So they're only here for a short period of time and so want to spend as much time on the beach and in the water as possible (no matter the conditions).

Combine that with the fact that most European and UK residents don't know what a rip is, nevermind what the warning signs are, and you need to have lifeguards on the beach to tell people to stay out the water.

Also, the attitude of the government stinks after this, essential as what they said (paraphrased was) 'It's their own fault, because we put out a warning on a news service that only journalists read – journalists who wouldn't have been working because it was a Friday.'

Nevermind that tourist anywhere rarely watch TV or read local newspapers, and most residents still read their native media (BBC/SMH/CNN) etc.

They need to have lifeguards on there – even if its a volunteer force. I've be more than happy to take part once my fitness is back up. I mean, I spend most weekends there anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 3:59 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I agree. As much as I believe in personal responsibility, it still remains that Dubai has long stretches of easily accessible beaches and a developed tourist industry geared at the swim/sun/shopping/booze package. It is the city's responsibility to establish some guidelines about using the beaches.

But this is the same city that claimed the water was perfectly safe during the entire raw sewage dumping episode. So - don't expect much.

Originally Posted by auzdafluff
I saw both of the drownings on JBR.

The sea wasn't the choppiest I've seen it, but from my apartment you could see that there were some nasty rips that stretched across the beach front. They were maybe 20-30m out but the ran pretty much the beach front from the Sofitel to the Hilton from what I could see.

I think the big problem is that Dubai still refuses to accept that it is its responsibility to provide lifeguards on the municipal beaches – not the hotels as they've tried to make the case recently.

From what I could tell, both the of the people yesterday were tourists. So they're only here for a short period of time and so want to spend as much time on the beach and in the water as possible (no matter the conditions).

Combine that with the fact that most European and UK residents don't know what a rip is, nevermind what the warning signs are, and you need to have lifeguards on the beach to tell people to stay out the water.

Also, the attitude of the government stinks after this, essential as what they said (paraphrased was) 'It's their own fault, because we put out a warning on a news service that only journalists read – journalists who wouldn't have been working because it was a Friday.'

Nevermind that tourist anywhere rarely watch TV or read local newspapers, and most residents still read their native media (BBC/SMH/CNN) etc.

They need to have lifeguards on there – even if its a volunteer force. I've be more than happy to take part once my fitness is back up. I mean, I spend most weekends there anyway.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:17 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Meow
According to the article in the newspaper there were two Europeans drowned near JBR and an Indian chap near the Burj al Arab.
Having read the newspaper article linked by the original poster once again, I can find no mention of any Indian chap drowning on the same day, although that is the story now being circulated.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:21 am
ex-expat

Hello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond reputeHello.Kitty has a reputation beyond repute

indeed - but my concern would be that the lifeguards wouldn't be paid adequately to compensate for the risk they take, and can quite easily imagine the scenario where they are not taken seriously by certain elements of the population and won't have the authority to act immediately.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
indeed - but my concern would be that the lifeguards wouldn't be paid adequately to compensate for the risk they take, and can quite easily imagine the scenario where they are not taken seriously by certain elements of the population and won't have the authority to act immediately.
They've got lifeguards down on the Jumeriah beach opposite the Jumeriah Mosque , they're pretty good as well , i'v seen them save a few over the years.

Strange that they haven't got them up on the JBR stretch
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:30 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hello.Kitty
exactly, in Bateen, AD there is a coastguard boat that sits approx 300m out to sea and its purpose is to deter jetski's etc from entering. It doesnt stop the guys on the biggest souped up jetski's coming down, circling the coastguard boat, trying to soak the sailors and then come into the bay.

Waste of time, the locals here are above the law. Could you really see an indian with a baggy red UV top and a whistle telling the locals to get out of the water etc..no chance.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander
exactly, in Bateen, AD there is a coastguard boat that sits approx 300m out to sea and its purpose is to deter jetski's etc from entering. It doesnt stop the guys on the biggest souped up jetski's coming down, circling the coastguard boat, trying to soak the sailors and then come into the bay.

Waste of time, the locals here are above the law. Could you really see an indian with a baggy red UV top and a whistle telling the locals to get out of the water etc..no chance.
The guys down the Jumeriah Mosque end are Fillipinos and are backed up by undercover C.I.D which obviously gives them a little more clout.

Can't see why that can't be adopted all over the Municple beaches , I've seen people nicked for been pissed , harassing women and just basically acting like twats and locals included as well.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 4:47 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh, right. It used to be a popular gay cruising area, right?

Originally Posted by co durham boy
The guys down the Jumeriah Mosque end are Fillipinos and are backed up by undercover C.I.D which obviously gives them a little more clout.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:11 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Having read the newspaper article linked by the original poster once again, I can find no mention of any Indian chap drowning on the same day, although that is the story now being circulated.
It is further down in the actual newspaper article, not the (free) online piece. It actually says 'an Asian man drowned in seas near Burj al Arab between 2pm and 4pm'.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
It is further down in the actual newspaper article, not the (free) online piece. It actually says 'an Asian man drowned in seas near Burj al Arab between 2pm and 4pm'.
Dubai Municipality should fence it in, and charge admission like they do for all their parks. I'm sure they could make good money from it with all those tourists in JBR!

Hotel beach club = AED 80-150
Beach park = AED 20-40
Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:33 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Dubai Municipality should fence it in, and charge admission like they do for all their parks. I'm sure they could make good money from it with all those tourists in JBR!

Hotel beach club = AED 80-150
Beach park = AED 20-40
Are you joking? You want to get rid of free beaches?

Whereas Westerners can afford a fee, many other nationalities on poor wages cannot and they would just be deprived of yet another pleasure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.