Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

Old Mar 6th 2011, 5:35 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 Drowned In Jumeirah Yesterday

Originally Posted by Meow
It is further down in the actual newspaper article, not the (free) online piece. It actually says 'an Asian man drowned in seas near Burj al Arab between 2pm and 4pm'.

Last edited by commander; Mar 6th 2011 at 5:36 am. Reason: edit, im not laughing at the actual asian man drowning of course
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:06 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Oh, right. It used to be a popular gay cruising area, right?
Not sure , why ? Do you need to get your rocks off ? Try Jules Bar in the Meridien they'll have what your looking for.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:19 am
Banned

Talking Stick is an unknown quantity at this point

I drowned in Hawaii when I was a teenager. It's not really a bad way to die. I had a snorkel and mask on and I noticed that I started going out to sea. I swam hard and I was still going out, fast- after about 45 minutes of swimming as hard as I possibly could I gave up and I knew I was gonna die, and I was fine with it. I was going down an I experienced some euphoria. I remember being about 10 feet under and looking up at the surface, it was very peaceful then the next thing I knew I was on a lifeguards surfboard. I was way out there, I could barely see the beach and I have no idea how anyone saw me. He got me in fast dumped me on the beach and headed right back out for someone else. I laid there for awhile coughing up water and everything. Eventually I got up and got the half mile down the beach to where my mom and brothers and sister were set up. I said "ma I just almost drowned!" and she said "thats fine honey, do you want a hotdog?" 20 years later I told her that I literally almost drowned in Hawaii when I was a kid and she said "really?"
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:23 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

I used to work near there and the word around the office was it was the place where men liked to go to get their rocks off, at nighttime. That's all I know and your reference to the undercover CID seemed to back up my assumption.

Originally Posted by co durham boy
Not sure , why ? Do you need to get your rocks off ? Try Jules Bar in the Meridien they'll have what your looking for.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
I used to work near there and the word around the office was it was the place where men liked to go to get their rocks off, at nighttime. That's all I know and your reference to the undercover CID seemed to back up my assumption.
It was more Western women getting a little bit of grief from pissed up locals and amorous labourers looking for love.

In fairness the C.I.D were pretty good at that beach , it could be quite intimidating for women at one time down there but they got a hand on it and sorted it right out.

It wouldn't surprise me about the cruising down there especially as most Arabs are partial to a bit of tradesman's now and again.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Are you joking? You want to get rid of free beaches?

Whereas Westerners can afford a fee, many other nationalities on poor wages cannot and they would just be deprived of yet another pleasure.
Without fees, how would they pay the lifeguards?

They could use some of the proceeds to install showers, and provide beach chairs and cold drinks. It could be done on the cheap to keep costs down. What does Jumeirah Beach Park cost? AED 10? Seems fair.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

BurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond reputeBurpusMe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Talking Stick
I drowned in Hawaii when I was a teenager. It's not really a bad way to die. I had a snorkel and mask on and I noticed that I started going out to sea. I swam hard and I was still going out, fast- after about 45 minutes of swimming as hard as I possibly could I gave up and I knew I was gonna die, and I was fine with it. I was going down an I experienced some euphoria. I remember being about 10 feet under and looking up at the surface, it was very peaceful then the next thing I knew I was on a lifeguards surfboard. I was way out there, I could barely see the beach and I have no idea how anyone saw me. He got me in fast dumped me on the beach and headed right back out for someone else. I laid there for awhile coughing up water and everything. Eventually I got up and got the half mile down the beach to where my mom and brothers and sister were set up. I said "ma I just almost drowned!" and she said "thats fine honey, do you want a hotdog?" 20 years later I told her that I literally almost drowned in Hawaii when I was a kid and she said "really?"
LOL!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Dubai Municipality should fence it in, and charge admission like they do for all their parks. I'm sure they could make good money from it with all those tourists in JBR!

Hotel beach club = AED 80-150
Beach park = AED 20-40
Are you joking? You want to get rid of free beaches?

Whereas Westerners can afford a fee, many other nationalities on poor wages cannot and they would just be deprived of yet another pleasure.
Originally Posted by BurpusMe
Without fees, how would they pay the lifeguards?

They could use some of the proceeds to install showers, and provide beach chairs and cold drinks. It could be done on the cheap to keep costs down. What does Jumeirah Beach Park cost? AED 10? Seems fair.
I agree that there should be a charge - you get what you pay for in AD - lifeguards, lavvies and showers. Plus access to cafes etc. The Public Beach entrance is only 10AED and the beach has two sections - families and the rest of us. For an extra 25AED you can hire a clean sun lounger and umbrella. There are also nice mature hedges or fences that precludes the peepers from the street.

Also, dividing the two sections there is a "free beach" that has less facilities, but still has life guard cover so the less well off can still enjoy. It seems to work well and is very popular.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

Mischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really niceMischief Queen is just really nice

Originally Posted by weescot
I agree that there should be a charge - you get what you pay for in AD - lifeguards, lavvies and showers. Plus access to cafes etc. The Public Beach entrance is only 10AED and the beach has two sections - families and the rest of us. For an extra 25AED you can hire a clean sun lounger and umbrella. There are also nice mature hedges or fences that precludes the peepers from the street.
Also, dividing the two sections there is a "free beach" that has less facilities, but still has life guard cover so the less well off can still enjoy. It seems to work well and is very popular.
From what I've seen the hedges give the peepers somewhere to hide to do their um "business"... the areas with fences are good but there's still a few that shake hands with themselves in the bushes whilst perving at the ladies!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 5:43 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mischief Queen
From what I've seen the hedges give the peepers somewhere to hide to do their um "business"... the areas with fences are good but there's still a few that shake hands with themselves in the bushes whilst perving at the ladies!
You deliberately go looking behind the hedges, do you?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

one of the victims was playing away ! told his Mrs he was in the USA on business when actually he was nuts deep in his bit on the side in Dubai.

Divine retribution ?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sandboy
one of the victims was playing away ! told his Mrs he was in the USA on business when actually he was nuts deep in his bit on the side in Dubai.
But his Dubai mistress said that they were truly in love. You have to feel sorry for the widow back home in blighty.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:37 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandboy

Divine retribution ?
No. Because who's actually suffering now (if you take the view there's no afterlife): the Mrs (and the kids, if there are any).
Old Mar 10th 2011, 6:41 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Talking Stick
Didn't you forget to add the word "almost" in your first sentence?
Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:11 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Didn't you forget to add the word "almost" in your first sentence?
Regrettably not, and regrettably he didn't.