British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Are 2nd hand cars in Dubai 'appreciating'. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2nd-hand-cars-dubai-appreciating-560192/)

Jeeper Sep 8th 2008 6:06 am

Are 2nd hand cars in Dubai 'appreciating'.

I bought a 2006 jeep wrangler 2nd hand in 2006 for 60k....drove in the desert for a winter and sold it in april '07 for 62.5k...pretty happy with that.

I'm looking for a jeep now and I can't find anything for a decent price and '06 models are at least 65k and many way above that.

Weird town this is.

TGFKASE Sep 8th 2008 7:02 am

Re: Are 2nd hand cars in Dubai 'appreciating'.

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6760439)
I bought a 2006 jeep wrangler 2nd hand in 2006 for 60k....drove in the desert for a winter and sold it in april '07 for 62.5k...pretty happy with that.

I'm looking for a jeep now and I can't find anything for a decent price and '06 models are at least 65k and many way above that.

Weird town this is.

Its coz some folk are now living in the them now...........

shiva Sep 8th 2008 7:52 am

may have something to do with the new laws as well. ie cant drive older than 20yrs as of 2009 or buy/sell over 10 yrs, cant drive older than 15 yrs by 2010....so maybe thats pushing the price of newer ones up as less people are buying cars that are nearer the 10yr old mark?

well at least i hope so as i'm looking to go bargain hunting in Dec as everyone with a '99 bently,lambo etc shits themselves

Confucius Sep 8th 2008 9:33 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6760670)
may have something to do with the new laws as well. ie cant drive older than 20yrs as of 2009 or buy/sell over 10 yrs, cant drive older than 15 yrs by 2010....so maybe thats pushing the price of newer ones up as less people are buying cars that are nearer the 10yr old mark?

well at least i hope so as i'm looking to go bargain hunting in Dec as everyone with a '99 bently,lambo etc shits themselves

Do you really think cars like Bentley/Lambo/Porsche/Ferrarri that are pre 98 will be put out of circulation??? I don't think so...
More to do with Honda/Nissan/Toyota's and old BMW 3-5 series etc...

shiva Sep 8th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6760885)
Do you really think cars like Bentley/Lambo/Porsche/Ferrarri that are pre 98 will be put out of circulation??? I don't think so...
More to do with Honda/Nissan/Toyota's and old BMW 3-5 series etc...

nah of course not but i do live in hope ;)

will be interesting to see what happens to prices though nearer the end of the year, may well be a few bargains to be had....well so long as your willing to accept you cant sell it domestically

Confucius Sep 8th 2008 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 6761362)
nah of course not but i do live in hope ;)

will be interesting to see what happens to prices though nearer the end of the year, may well be a few bargains to be had....well so long as your willing to accept you cant sell it domestically

Do you have your sights set on something???

shiva Sep 8th 2008 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by Confucius (Post 6761373)
Do you have your sights set on something???

well the missus wont shut up about an slk so one of those as a weekend car would make my life a lot easier for a start!

other than that not really but if the right thing looks cheap enough then i might grab it just for the hell of it, ie an alfa, range rover, lx 470, 7 series

Autonomy Sep 8th 2008 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 6760439)

Weird town this is.

I'm thinking your about right - I bought a 2004 Wrangler in 2005 for 50,000 and I'll be selling it early next year and I should be looking at getting the same back (or thereabouts)...

Free driving for 4 years.... nice....