British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   220v down to 110v?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/220v-down-110v-623537/)

Robbies Aug 3rd 2009 6:10 am

220v down to 110v??

I got this awesome little projector clock from the US - had seen one in a hotel here and loved it but could only find it being sold in the US... It was supposedly battery powered, but when it arrived, it has a frikin' power lead with US plug, and a 110v only sticker.

How can I get this working here? Is there somewhere to get some kind of adaptor? Dragon Mart? Sharaf DG?

Jim Smith Aug 3rd 2009 6:18 am

Re: 220v down to 110v??

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 7807439)
I got this awesome little projector clock from the US - had seen one in a hotel here and loved it but could only find it being sold in the US... It was supposedly battery powered, but when it arrived, it has a frikin' power lead with US plug, and a 110v only sticker.

How can I get this working here? Is there somewhere to get some kind of adaptor? Dragon Mart? Sharaf DG?

Buy a 220/110 transformer.

Shat Fink Aug 3rd 2009 7:05 am

You can use a 22/110 converter but the frequency of the clock will be wrong for the power here, might run at the wrong speed!

Go to dragon mart with it and go in all the little electrical shops with it, or go back to the hotel and swap it with one that works here!

commander Aug 3rd 2009 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Shat Fink (Post 7807514)
You can use a 22/110 converter but the frequency of the clock will be wrong for the power here, might run at the wrong speed!

Go to dragon mart with it and go in all the little electrical shops with it, or go back to the hotel and swap it with one that works here!

just get a transformer, the 50/60Hz will not make an iota of difference..the internal electronics of the clock etc will be DC.

**** it they cost about 100AED, go and buy a proper clock from Dragonmart

Robbies Aug 3rd 2009 9:11 am

nah, the clock is no problem, its basically a little lamp that needs the power; the clock part is battery, but it projects a massive big ben style clock onto a wall.

I'll try and get some transformer from dragon mart

Cheers for the answers

shakh your bootie Aug 3rd 2009 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by Robbies (Post 7807764)
nah, the clock is no problem, its basically a little lamp that needs the power; the clock part is battery, but it projects a massive big ben style clock onto a wall.

I'll try and get some transformer from dragon mart

Cheers for the answers

Grab a rod of iron and some copper wire. Cut wire in half. Wrap one half 200 times around the iron, the other one 100 times. Connect the 100 times ends to the clock, the 200 times ends stick direct into a socket using matchsticks.

If you are electrocuted, it's God's way of telling you that you have appallingly bad taste.