Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

22 Emirati soldiers die in Yemen from missile hit

22 Emirati soldiers die in Yemen from missile hit

Old Sep 4th 2015, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default 22 Emirati soldiers die in Yemen from missile hit

Houthis fired missile into weapons depot. 22 Emirati soldiers near the depot died.

22 Emirati troops in Saudi-led coalition killed in Yemen

Are most of the Emirati soldiers in Yemen Emiratis or soldiers from non GCC countries passing off as Emiratis? Didn't Bahrain use a lot of Pakistani troops to control their uprising?
Old Sep 5th 2015, 7:45 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 22 Emirati soldiers die in Yemen from missile hit

3 days mourning, wondered why the radio was playing classical this morning. I wonder if this will be a wake up call from all the chest beating and conscription. In real wars people really get killed and wounded.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikewot
3 days mourning, wondered why the radio was playing classical this morning. I wonder if this will be a wake up call from all the chest beating and conscription. In real wars people really get killed and wounded.
The Emirates ambassodor to the US is trying to get Washington to attack Assad.
The GCC nations for all their high tech weaponry and diplomatic support from the West want others to fight their wars. Yemen might be a a new turn of the page if indeed most of the troops were Emirati but wonder just how much in the thick of it they are.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 4:12 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

The chest beating has been going on for some time and I doubt it will stop and as for conscription that serves many purposes and again will not be stopping any time soon.
The last battle on UAE soil was only 60 odd years ago and that was preceded by near continuous war for millennia warring tribes warring I a region the west is increasingly withdrawing from.

A more active UAE role and national service make sense for them going forwards. This however will be a huge wake up call for the many who thought national service might be a walk in the park and a bit of a laugh for a couple of years.

In reality the loss is now 45 and an equivalent to about 1000 U.S. Soldiers being lost in a day. To say it is a tragic day for the UAE wouldn't be stretching the truth. There won't be many locals who don't know a family effected by this.
Old Sep 5th 2015, 5:40 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

True! As always, the poor young have to pay the ultimate price for the rich old. Sickening! Sadly this will be a long forgotten news bit in the times to come
Case in point Syria.
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:22 pm
"Insert witty title here"

Irishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond reputeIrishbeekeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
If you think Emirati soliders are by any standard poor you're clearly unaware of the situation. Given police officers in AD are given starting salaries of over AED 30,000 per month as new trainees what do you think their soldiers on duty are paid?

This won't be forgotten by them. Proportionate to population if this was the US it would be like loosing 13,000 soldiers in a single hit. The Emiratis will feel this and many will know someone who knows the fallen dead. They are supporting the Saudi backed Yemen government against rebels - something in the interests of their nation as a whole and they have paid their price for the country that gave them everything. We have freedom coming out of our arses thanks to men like them and we can't even be bothered to vote in high numbers so I'm not sure what valid input we have in this matter.

Oh, and there are plenty examples of the old fighting and even leading from the front. King Leonidas was 60 when he led 300 fellow Spartans to defend the pass at Battle of Thermopylae to the death to give time for the rest of Greece to prepare - not sure how rich he was though - or how that is relevant. Rich and poor used to fight in our culture...Princes fell alongside bakers and smiths...but we're so much more evolved now aren't we?

N.
Well in this case I meant poor as 'unfortunate' i.e. Bad luck wise.
But in the case of the wars fought in the past 4 decades, I would think that the statistics of those who actually saw action would lean very heavily towards the low income class
Old Sep 6th 2015, 3:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wondered how many Yemenis have died as a result of external politics.

Maybe gross that up to an equivalent basis to China or India for good measure.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 3:18 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper
Well in this case I meant poor as 'unfortunate' i.e. Bad luck wise.
But in the case of the wars fought in the past 4 decades, I would think that the statistics of those who actually saw action would lean very heavily towards the low income class
The statistics throughout history, excluding early Rome, would always show a slant to the poor in the military. The career of choice for second and lower sons of both the rich and poor who wouldn't inherit land. One to keep food in their bellies one to "make a name" obviously with a lot more poor involved

The U.S. these days practises a similar program to Victorian Britain of actively and aggressively recruiting the poor. The UAE didn't actively recruit the poor but most come from poorer families in the northern emirates where it offered a good safe job with a good pension. Now it's a good dangerous job with a good pension and rich and poor will spend some time serving and I suspect they will extended the date for the "active list" significantly given current UAE interventionist policy.
Old Sep 7th 2015, 3:28 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I've always wondered how many Yemenis have died as a result of external politics.

Maybe gross that up to an equivalent basis to China or India for good measure.
As far as I can tell Yemeni internal politics has been killing Yemenis for a good few hundred years and I suspect all external politics has done is give them more efficient means of doing so. I can wrap my head around most of the regional politics but Yemen is ridiculous. The main two are for or against the ex president but also both against Al Qaeda, Al Qaeda is against about half of them and Isis, Isis is fighting all of them, the Shia are fighting Sunni and the tribes are fighting each other, the ex ex president has some influence but changes who he tries to influence a lot as does the ex president. The tribes are all fighting each other as the have always done, except when they are allied against each other. The South has a group fighting for independence for the South again and the North is fighting against that.

The west backed some of them and Russia the rest so weapons abound and add into that miasma the fact that over half the farmland is now dedicated to growing khat and basically the entire nation is high, doesn't produce enough food to feed itself and everybody is fighting everybody.

Yemeni politics just gives me a headache
Old Sep 9th 2015, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

When is the music coming back on the radio?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

When is the music coming back on the radio?
Saturday?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al dente
Saturday?
dunno. was only suppose to be 3 days.

The Nicki Minaj CD is my car is getting tiresome.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I think the great and the good were moved after meeting the deceased and injured families. More respect was needed.

It was an awful incident. If we scaled it by population that would be akin to 200,000 of ours. What! Have I worked that out right? 45 out of 1.4 million citizens? We are around 65.5 million citizens?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by al dente
I think the great and the good were moved after meeting the deceased and injured families. More respect was needed.

It was an awful incident. If we scaled it by population that would be akin to 200,000 of ours. What! Have I worked that out right? 45 out of 1.4 million citizens? We are around 65.5 million citizens?
Why scale it? We wouldn't have that many in one place. Or even one country.

Let's scale it to India.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why scale it? We wouldn't have that many in one place. Or even one country.

Let's scale it to India.
Or New Zealand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.