British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   2019 Holiday Plans (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/2019-holiday-plans-920617/)

jam25mack Jan 2nd 2019 7:38 am

2019 Holiday Plans

HNY Yall!

So I'm back in the office today and it sucks big sweaty balls..... although I did find an email stating I had received and unexpected pay-rise.... which is nice, although hardly something to call home about.

Anyway, generally I like to have some holiday plans to look forward to so thought I would share them...

April - Geneva and into France for some chalet / hot tubbing around Chamonix etc before driving down to Monaco and then on upto Milan before finishing in Venice for a mates wedding.

June - Kilimanjaro (for my 40th) and then possibly into Namibia (where my Mrs is from) for a offroad / camping trip and a safari.

End of the year - Finland (probably) to stay in the glass forest igloos and see the Northern Lights (birthday gift from my mum).

Will probably manage to squeeze an Asian trip in there somewhere too. Probably Bali as the Mrs loves it (I don't) but may try and suggest alternatives.

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 2nd 2019 8:00 am

Re: 2019 Holiday Plans

That April trip sounds incredible.

We might be heading to a wedding south of Naples in August. Might draw this out to be a road trip around Italy though....Other than that, I expect very little compared to recent years. Wedding to save for etc.

jam25mack Jan 2nd 2019 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12615110)

We might be heading to a wedding south of Naples in August. Might draw this out to be a road trip around Italy though....Other than that, I expect very little compared to recent years. Wedding to save for etc.

Yeah looking forward to April. Bit of a ball ache as the Mrs needs to get a Schengan visa. Apparently Italy are dicks and have a low approval percentage, hence us starting in Switzerland where the percentage is much higher. Not a fan of just flying in and flying out for weddings anyway and I think the road trip could make the holiday. This one is going to be pretty banging tho I think as he's from a pretty minted Italian family so I'm expecting Mafioso types etc. Plan is to land in Geneva, pick up a rental car and head into the mountains. This will likely be right at the end of the ski season so there should still be some snow and there should be some deals about too. Monaco.... don't really know much about it other than its the playground of the rich and famous.... will see if my mate who's a super yacht captain has the boat in town and then we can get free digs on a 80m beast. Milan..... meh. Flown in there before and was disappointed as its a bit of a concrete jungle but i'm sure the Mrs will enjoy the designer shops. Will then drop the car at the airport in Venice as there won't much need for it.... other than the wedding i'm not really vibing with Venice as a whole tho, its not really my kinda place but you never know it could be epic due to having a big group of good friends there.

Did you settle on a venue in the UK?

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 2nd 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12615116)
Yeah looking forward to April. Bit of a ball ache as the Mrs needs to get a Schengan visa. Apparently Italy are dicks and have a low approval percentage, hence us starting in Switzerland where the percentage is much higher. Not a fan of just flying in and flying out for weddings anyway and I think the road trip could make the holiday. This one is going to be pretty banging tho I think as he's from a pretty minted Italian family so I'm expecting Mafioso types etc. Plan is to land in Geneva, pick up a rental car and head into the mountains. This will likely be right at the end of the ski season so there should still be some snow and there should be some deals about too. Monaco.... don't really know much about it other than its the playground of the rich and famous.... will see if my mate who's a super yacht captain has the boat in town and then we can get free digs on a 80m beast. Milan..... meh. Flown in there before and was disappointed as its a bit of a concrete jungle but i'm sure the Mrs will enjoy the designer shops. Will then drop the car at the airport in Venice as there won't much need for it.... other than the wedding i'm not really vibing with Venice as a whole tho, its not really my kinda place but you never know it could be epic due to having a big group of good friends there.

Monaco is what it is, drive round the hairpin and then go see the handful of things you 'must' see. Nice to go in April though as won't have the mad summer footfall.
Found a venue, thanks. Negotiating at present. Also got to decide if we go for it at Xmas this year or summer '20. I'm keen for the former given it's a chunk cheaper :lol:

Millhouse Jan 2nd 2019 8:52 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12615116)

Interesting - I was under the impression that Italy was the easier one to get the visa - my friends always start there. Spain is very slow.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 4th 2019 3:19 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12615110)

Amalfi coast scamp?

I returned from there in August (Honeymoon). Flew to Naples then did Amalfi for a few days then drove to Rome to Florence and finished in Venice. Amalfi is out of this world. The other cities we visited where indeed excellent but we wish we had stayed in Amalfi for the duration.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 4th 2019 4:11 am

Seychelles for myself and Mrs Dohdubman in a fortnights time. Right in the middle of rainy season... :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat141 Jan 6th 2019 4:55 am

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN (Post 12616024)
Amalfi coast scamp?

I returned from there in August (Honeymoon). Flew to Naples then did Amalfi for a few days then drove to Rome to Florence and finished in Venice. Amalfi is out of this world. The other cities we visited where indeed excellent but we wish we had stayed in Amalfi for the duration.

Great.

We basically just decided not to bother going.

Now I'm going to have to revisit that decision!!!!!

Brains1983 Jan 6th 2019 5:23 am

Cyprus for 2 weeks in April, Brazil for 3 weeks in July. Maybe a long weekend elsewhere if time allows. No travel at all 2020 as things stand.

jam25mack Jan 7th 2019 7:45 am

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN (Post 12616024)
Amalfi coast scamp?

Will check it out.

Plans have changed slightly as looked up how much a hire car would be.... somewhere in the region of 1300 Euro for a tiny shitebox. Now researching camper vans. They're coming in around 900 Euro so a decent chunk less and we will save cash on accommodation as will only stay in a few places with hot tubs etc.

Quite looking forward to the camper van option. Will be a proper adventure.

DOHDUBMAN Jan 7th 2019 8:41 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12617335)
Will check it out.

Plans have changed slightly as looked up how much a hire car would be.... somewhere in the region of 1300 Euro for a tiny shitebox. Now researching camper vans. They're coming in around 900 Euro so a decent chunk less and we will save cash on accommodation as will only stay in a few places with hot tubs etc.

Quite looking forward to the camper van option. Will be a proper adventure.

I don't blame you. We got stung hard because of the distance we made between pick up and drop off points with the hire car. I would strongly discourage a camper van in Amalfi though if you can. We had an estate car and it was way way over-sized.

jam25mack Jan 7th 2019 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by DOHDUBMAN (Post 12617349)
I don't blame you. We got stung hard because of the distance we made between pick up and drop off points with the hire car. I would strongly discourage a camper van in Amalfi though if you can. We had an estate car and it was way way over-sized.

Noted.

We'd be picking the car / camper up in Geneva and dropping it in Venice, hence the high rental cost.

Camper wise, as it's only the two of us we'd only be looking at a smallish one. As for the Amalfi coast, I doubt we'd get anywhere near that south (thought it was higher up).